Author Topic: Chinese space launchers  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Braga - Portugal
    • Em Órbita
  • Liked: 519
  • Likes Given: 335
Chinese space launchers
« on: 09/11/2007 11:31 PM »
A thread where we can discuss everything about the Chinese space launchers

Chang Zheng 2 (Long March) Rocket Launcher makes its debut at a spaceflight exhibition held in Wuhan, China on September 9, 2007 (from People's Daily Online):

Offline Moon King

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: Chinese space launchers
« Reply #1 on: 09/11/2007 11:38 PM »
That rocket has 9 motors in the 1st stage, looks like 5 liquid ones and 4 solid ones. Not very smart, the way i see it, the more engines, the more room for something to go wrong. Remember the Russian Moon Rocket ***32 engines, only took one for the whole thing to go Boom!!!!!)

Other than that, am curious, how many tons does that rocket lift to LEO?
NASA- Returning to the moon (when politicians quit slashing our budget)

Offline sammie

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1
Re: Chinese space launchers
« Reply #2 on: 09/11/2007 11:48 PM »
Actually, not all strap-ons are sollid rockets, at least outside the US. The CZ-2E pictured uses 8 engines, 4 in the core and 4 liquid strap-ons. However, all 8 engines are of the same type, use the same propellent (Hypergolics). More engines does not per definition mean less reliability, just look at Soyuz. The Chinese are secure enough about this booster that they've used it to launch their manned spacecraft. The CZ-2E is the heavylifter of the Chinese space programme, lifting 9,500 to LEO and 3,800kg to GTO.

Does anybody know if they've replaced the sollid upper stage on the CZ-2E with something more efficient?
"The dreams ain't broken downhere, they're just walking with a limp"

Offline CFE

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 1
Re: Chinese space launchers
« Reply #3 on: 11/05/2007 03:11 AM »
I doubt anybody can answer me this, but is China using the same tooling from the CZ-2 core for the 3.35 meter core on the Long March 5 series?
"Black Zones" never stopped NASA from flying the shuttle.

Tags: