Author Topic: Lunar experiments  (Read 14979 times)

Offline BeanEstimator

• Pray for Mojo
  • Taxation without Representation
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Lunar experiments
« Reply #40 on: 09/25/2007 03:19 PM »
that arrow looks like it's pointing toward a man with a hard hat on and black shoes.  

somehow, i doubt that visit in the crater did much for his long term health.
Note:  My posts are meant to discuss matters of public concern.  Posts and opinions are entirely my own and do not represent NASA, the government, or anyone else.

"Balancing Act: Public Employees and Free Speech"
http://bit.ly/Nfy3ke

Offline khallow

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #41 on: 09/25/2007 07:42 PM »
BeanEstimator - 25/9/2007  8:19 AM

that arrow looks like it's pointing toward a man with a hard hat on and black shoes.  

somehow, i doubt that visit in the crater did much for his long term health.

I guess it depends on what the visit did for his future savings. It might have indeed done much for his long term health.

The problem I have with explosions is that they fracture rock. Creating a big pocket in bedrock via explosion breaks up the rock all around the explosion site, weakening its surroundings. On the other hand, if the explosion is in regolith, which by definition is already shattered, then I don't see any further structural damage taking place.
Karl Hallowell

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 693
  • Likes Given: 1151
« Reply #42 on: 09/25/2007 08:38 PM »
HarryM - 14/9/2007  12:29 PM

Lava tubes are believed to exist, just find one, no need to excavate with nukes.

Absolutely!  I think that any rovers should have built in seismometers similar to some of the devices used in the oil patch where they can take readings as they go.  Especially if they are planning on using twin rovers the increased seismic resolution would be an excellent use of two vehicles.  This should help ID any possible lava tubes.

Imagine if you can find one miles long (or 10's or 100's of miles long) seal the ends, pressurize, supply airlock and you can really get started with lunar colonization.  

Dig holes with nuclear devices, especially ones you might want to live in is perhaps not the best idea.  If you could get to the point where you could build and operate a tunnel boring machine on the moon you could really go nuts as well and build lots of potential habitat space.

Relating to this thread: "Lunar Experiments" I think equipping any rovers with Seismic instrumentation is essential.
SpaceX, just a few things planned for 2018: FH, Starlink Prototypes, Block 5, Dragon 2, Increased launch rate.

Offline luke strawwalker

• Regular
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #43 on: 09/26/2007 12:03 AM »
tmckinley - 14/8/2007  4:42 PM

Apollo Alum - 10/8/2007  11:25 AM

For the longer mission to Mars, the question of 6 - 8 months' exposure to microgravity versus the additional risk and complexity of providing an artificial gravity option seems to be high on the "to be resolved" list. So I want to propose an experiment which can be fit in to one of the later lunar missions.

Place an astronaut aboard ISS for 6 - 8 months to simulate the outbound trip to Mars under minimum energy trajectory conditions. (Yes, I know NASA is considering a higher energy transfer, but Hohmann is still the baseline). Pick this astronaut up in LEO, and take him/her to the moon. See how they react to 1/6 gee compared to the other astronauts who have just come up from Earth. Compare that with the results of how astronauts who have spent 6 - 8 months aboard ISS in microgravity (Polyakov) function upon their return to Earth. This will give us a baseline which will make it easier to interpolate to how astronauts will function in Mars' 1/3 gee after 6 - 8 months in space.

Ron

How would this astronuat be picked up? Orion can't stop at the ISS before continuing on towards the moon. The ISS is at a terrible inclination for moon missions...at least that's what I've garnered. Unless you'd want to have the astronaut come down to Earth and then launch to the moon ASAP. The g's of launch might be a little unforgiving to someone who's been in zero g for 6 months. Plus, I'll be surprised if the ISS is still around late in the moon program.

That's what I was just thinking... ISS will be a new reef somewhere in the South Pacific by the time the lunar program is well underway.  Maybe you could have a guy camp out on a Bigelow module for awhile (if they ever actually fly long term... I'm FAR more dubious of long term commercial space than most on these boards seem to be... talk is cheap and people have been talking about this stuff for a LONG time.  What the private space companies have been doing experimentally so far has been pretty interesting, but it's a LONG way from a functioning architecture based on solid hardware operating in a sound long term business plan.  After all, how many billionaires are going to fly??  And the first time a comspace capsule blows up or burns up or a hab ruptures or something, the lines are going to get a LOT shorter!)  

Maybe we could bum a ride off whatever station the Russians, Europeans, Japanese, or Chinese are flying by then, since it's about the only manned program they'll be able to afford or do technologically for a pretty good while (with the possible exception of the Chinese).  

OL JR :)
NO plan IS the plan...

"His plan had no goals, no timeline, and no budgetary guidelines. Just maybe's, pretty speeches, and smokescreens."

Tags: