Author Topic: China prepares to select new taikonauts  (Read 2781 times)

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Braga - Portugal
    • Em Órbita
  • Liked: 473
  • Likes Given: 318

Offline kevwalsh

• Skywatcher
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: China prepares to select new taikonauts
« Reply #1 on: 07/18/2007 10:42 PM »
Also some interesting reports surfacing about intensive EVA training and the 08 mission being a 3-man orbital with EVA.  After that an extended duration rendezvous maybe?  But.... then what?

Offline tmckinley

• Regular
RE: China prepares to select new taikonauts
« Reply #2 on: 07/19/2007 12:15 AM »

"I believe a good astronaut should be both physically and psychologically healthy, but also should have strong faith, a perfect mastery of technology and have a well-rounded character," said Shen.

I thought that statement was interesting. Is Shen advocating religious faith or as my ignorant American psyche thinks: is he talking about faith in the government and communism? It would be interesting to know how being in space affects one religion. But I think I'm getting off topic...

Offline hesidu

« Reply #3 on: 07/19/2007 04:40 AM »
No, totally not religious faith or faith in the government and communism. I think "strong faith" here means responsible, willing to sacrifice.

Offline oscar71

« Reply #4 on: 07/19/2007 05:45 AM »
Since China is officially opposed to organized religion I would assume that a non-religious definition of the word faith could be surmised such as allegiance, loyalty, confident belief or trust.

Offline aquarius

« Reply #5 on: 07/19/2007 06:00 AM »
kevwalsh - 19/7/2007  3:42 AM

Also some interesting reports surfacing about intensive EVA training and the 08 mission being a 3-man orbital with EVA.  After that an extended duration rendezvous maybe?  But.... then what?

First, a small space station, and then the moon, hopefully.

Offline kevwalsh

• Skywatcher
« Reply #6 on: 07/19/2007 10:24 PM »
They have been running a pretty clever program.  First they dodged the shuttle bullet after a huge internal argument; then they have been trading risk with progress by taking a small number of missions each with a solid programmtic leap to justify the mission risk.  And now they seem to be pushing Long March towards a significant leap in lift.  Very interesting to watch.

Does anybody know if/where they have set out their program?

Tags: