Author Topic: CEV Mock Up revealed  (Read 18625 times)

Offline CuddlyRocket

RE: CEV Mock Up revealed
« Reply #20 on: 11/19/2005 10:50 AM »
The first flights to the Moon will get press coverage, especially - as is likely - there is a woman, or a member of a US ethnic minority on board. And if not on the first, there will be interest when a woman or ethinic minority individual is on board.

I agree, interest will wane after that, but that's not necessarily unhealthy.

You might get something like the Hubble effect - a picture every day. Quite a lot of those get into the newspapers - not for their scientific value, but because of their beauty. Opportunities on the Moon might be less, but there must be stunning scenes. Especially on the future, longer duration missions, NASA might want to consider having someone with an eye for photographic composition.

A human flight to an asteroid will get attention, and as for the first flights to Mars....you probably won't be able to read or watch about anything else!

Offline realtime

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 13

Offline realtime

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 11/19/2005 10:27 PM »
If NASA has any savvy at all, the moon missions will employ not just astronauts, but independent journalists as well.  What better way to keep the media involved than by involving the media?

In addition the technology will allow:

1. Live HD video in huge quantities.
2. Internet access: email, IM, blogs, store and forward video mail
3. Two-way video interviews (though with a 2.7 second round-trip time, there'll be a bit of talk-over)
4. Helmet cams
5. Telepresence -- sign up at nasa.gov for time to drive a lunar ROV from your living room.

It will be some of the most amazing news material ever.  It's all a matter of how it's sold.  If NASA props a bunch of dry grayhairs wearing lab coats and sliderules up in front of a camera and lets them drone on about science, then you can fuggedaboudit.  

But if it's sold as a searing adventure by photogenic professionals, then look for fantastic things happening, live at five!

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #23 on: 11/20/2005 01:12 AM »
realtime - 19/11/2005  6:27 PM

If NASA has any savvy at all, the moon missions will employ not just astronauts, but independent journalists as well.  What better way to keep the media involved than by involving the media?

In addition the technology will allow:

1. Live HD video in huge quantities.
2. Internet access: email, IM, blogs, store and forward video mail
3. Two-way video interviews (though with a 2.7 second round-trip time, there'll be a bit of talk-over)
4. Helmet cams
5. Telepresence -- sign up at nasa.gov for time to drive a lunar ROV from your living room.

It will be some of the most amazing news material ever.  It's all a matter of how it's sold.  If NASA props a bunch of dry grayhairs wearing lab coats and sliderules up in front of a camera and lets them drone on about science, then you can fuggedaboudit.  

But if it's sold as a searing adventure by photogenic professionals, then look for fantastic things happening, live at five!

I vote we send Ben. :)

Offline realtime

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 11/20/2005 03:02 AM »
Franson's more photogenic.  (Sorry Ben.)   :)

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #25 on: 11/20/2005 07:43 AM »
realtime - 19/11/2005  11:27 PM

....the moon missions will employ not just astronauts, but independent journalists as well.
Journalist-astronauts? Interesting idea. Freelance journalists have been known to put a few years into a project, so might go for it, especially if they could write articles under their own bye-line during training, as well as the mission. Then there'd be the documentaries and post-career book deal. It would also look good on their cv if applying for some science correspondent position at a 'major news outlet'.  Let's make sure we send a science journalist mind (and there even some photogenic ones - Lucie Green for instance). Not only will it enable them to help with any experiments that need performing, but they'll be less likely to come up with the howlers we all wince at.

These will be missions of exploration, and exploration is partly about the poetry.

If NASA props a bunch of dry grayhairs wearing lab coats and sliderules up in front of a camera and lets them drone on about science, then you can fuggedaboudit.
Yes. I'm a science graduate, and interested in it, but even I find my mind wandering during some of those press conferences. Too wordy and detailed for the lay audience, and too simplistic for people like me.

Now, how can we design a space suit with a short skirt? ;)

Seriously though, you can tell that NASA was run by engineers, with latterly a large input from scientists. I'm not saying that those aren't important, or that ability is not a prime requirement for an astronaut, but presentation needs to be given its rightful place. NASA is competing for audience attention and approval (and budget, which comes to the same thing when the audience are US voters), and they need to properly consider how they can maximise this. Their web-site is poor (albeit much better than ESA's!), for example.

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: 11/20/2005 08:21 AM »
All the suggestions are great.  The Human part of it should be emphasized.  Driving a rover, reading a lunar astronaut's blog, emailing, video conferences, how they deal with everyday's problems, just everyday stuff... , erm... do some cooking shows.  With gas.  (Methane?) Without encroaching on their privacy, 'course... And send Liv Tyler/Tom Hanks or other Hollywood folks up there.  Invent some lunar recreations.  Play lunar golf competitively.  The football... the Polar Super Bawl playoffs broadcast... Now, that'll draw in some crowds. ;)

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #27 on: 11/20/2005 08:26 AM »
lmike - 20/11/2005  9:21 AM

... the Polar Super Bawl playoffs broadcast...
Bawl? Typo, freudian slip, or a comment on modern sport stars' emotional fragility? :)

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 11/20/2005 08:47 AM »
CuddlyRocket - 20/11/2005  3:26 AM

lmike - 20/11/2005  9:21 AM

... the Polar Super Bawl playoffs broadcast...
Bawl? Typo, freudian slip, or a comment on modern sport stars' emotional fragility? :)

All three! I admit.  It should read 'The Super Brawl' actually...  On the Moon no one can hear you scream... ;)

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 524
  • Likes Given: 1346
« Reply #29 on: 11/20/2005 09:10 AM »
Regarding the media, one big difference is that during the Apollo era, there were three American TV networks.  If something wasn't big enough it didn't get covered.  The days of nearly everyone sharing in a moment are pretty much gone.  This has both advantages and disadvantages, and NASA will want to play it carefully.  Personally, I find most of today's astronauts to be very effective communicators, and I have no doubt that we will get a lot of very effective coverage from the Moon.  Having four people there for a week (even on the early missions), will take some of the time-pressure off, and perhaps an end-of-day wrap-up broadcast will be popular.
Regarding the mock-ups, they are very basic "here's the shape, and here's some couches" jobs at the moment.  I wouldn't put too much into them, yet.  But they are fun.  The Andrew's CEV might be a bit hard to fly, with only a left-hand attitude controller (isn't that where the translation controller goes?)!

Offline Dobbins

• Propellerhead
« Reply #30 on: 11/20/2005 09:56 AM »
My vote for a journalist is Ollie North, If they don't bring him back. :)

Why not a Journalist? NASA has been trying to send a Teacher up for 20 years, something I fully understand. I had a few that I would have loved to have strapped to the side of a rocket carrying a probe into deep space. :)

On a more serious note, yes we need a Journalist, and a good Photographer, and a Film Maker sent up om some missions. These people have the skills needed to describe the experience of space travel to the owner of the space program, John Q Public. He deserves a report on how his tax money is being spent in terms that he can understand. Some may think this is a waste of seats that should go to scientists, but there is more to space travel than just science and forgetting that limits public support for the space program. There is also a benefit of keeping John Q Public well informed and interested in how his space program is doing. It will make him more likely to fork over those engraved portraits of dead presidents that pay for the toys the scientists and engineers need.

John B. Dobbins

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #31 on: 11/20/2005 12:37 PM »
At this point I would like to give notice that I am more than willing to put myself forward ;)

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 11/20/2005 01:22 PM »
Well, you've got my vote.  Some honest and knowledgeable reportage.  FransonUK could go too, as far as I'm concerned...  (just searched back some, and whoa!)  I'm also available that week.  I can cook.  With gas.  Hope Mike Griffin is reading this... :D :) ;)

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #33 on: 11/20/2005 02:11 PM »
lmike - 20/11/2005  2:22 PM

FransonUK could go too, as far as I'm concerned...  (just searched back some, and whoa!)
Ah! A chance to practice this search thingy. With motivation too.

Interesting thread. Quite contrary to general expectations of women interested in space, I thought.

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 11/20/2005 02:26 PM »
CuddlyRocket - 20/11/2005  9:11 AM

lmike - 20/11/2005  2:22 PM

FransonUK could go too, as far as I'm concerned...  (just searched back some, and whoa!)
Ah! A chance to practice this search thingy. With motivation too.

Interesting thread. Quite contrary to general expectations of women interested in space, I thought.

You got me... What motivation, pray tell?  Just to clarify... It's a name (or a moniker?) that came up in this thread.  I searched back (didn't even know about the 'she' thing) and that person made some great comments on the shuttle and other topics.

* Ah! And keep that snideness all to yourself, you're going to need it in life, son.

Offline FransonUK

• Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me...don't ya
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #35 on: 11/20/2005 04:25 PM »
I wondered why my ears were burning ;)
Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #36 on: 11/20/2005 05:44 PM »
lmike - 20/11/2005  3:26 PM
Ah! And keep that snideness all to yourself, you're going to need it in life, son.
Ah! - Used to express various emotions, such as satisfaction, surprise, delight, dislike, or pain (in my case, the first three - I actually was quite pleased to have a bona fide excuse to practise searching). Quite how I was being derogatory in a malicious, superior way, I'm not clear.

My post was meant to be light-hearted. It obviously did not come across to you as such, for which I apologise.

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 11/26/2005 08:49 AM »
FransonUK - 20/11/2005  11:25 AM

I wondered why my ears were burning ;)

I do apologize, if I, inadvertently, offended anyone.  The vagaries of Internet communication...

Offline Super George

« Reply #38 on: 12/03/2005 11:26 PM »
I thought it was funny. I don't see anything wrong here. You should see what some message boards are like!  :o

Offline Super George

« Reply #39 on: 12/03/2005 11:27 PM »
So do people think this mock-up will be what the module will be, or is there a chance this will change a slight amount?

Tags: