Author Topic: Other than earth where is the best place to live?  (Read 34560 times)

Offline 02hurnella

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Where in this solar system is the most habitable space/land. I've heard of quite a few ideas and been sceptical. I mean, could we really terraform mars? Theres no magnetic field and little atmosphere. Could we live in the clouds of venus? Isn't is too acidic and while Earth "Air" is a lifting gas, could it support a sort of venus-perma-blimp? How feasible is mass habitation of the moon? could we live on Ceres?, asteroids?, the moons of Jupiter?, the moons of Saturn? or Beyond.....

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 482
Re: Other than earth where is the best place to live?
« Reply #1 on: 06/02/2007 05:19 PM »
I think that's up to each individual where they'd prefer to live, whether it be an L5/O'Neil-style station, a Mars dome, on or inside an asteroid or gas giant moon, a Venus 'cloud city', etc. Much like folks here on Earth prefer to live in different areas - in towns/cities, the countryside or seashore, or a remote home on a mountain somewhere. One person's "habitable" is another's "Geez, who'd want to live *there*?"
Some of the choice would also depend on one's career/employment possibilities, too.

Offline hornet

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: 06/02/2007 05:49 PM »
The moon at first because it is close to home and you will alway be able to see earth and be close to come back should the colony/base fail. Then out on mars and the asteriods before we move to the outer solar system we need to spread out in the inner solar system with small bases on the large moons of the outer solar system to get things started

Offline Celeritas

RE: Other than earth where is the best place to live?
« Reply #3 on: 06/02/2007 07:21 PM »
Most any place in the solar system where there is a profit to be made you will eventually find human beings.  Now, whether it's a good place to live or not is another matter.  Eventual human colonization of the solar system will go where there's money to be made.  500 years ago, Central Florida was (by modern standards, at least) a miserable place to live and now I call it home--but it's a radically different place than it used to be centuries ago.  The same will probably go for the solar system.  :cool:

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 970
  • Likes Given: 139
« Reply #4 on: 06/02/2007 07:35 PM »
I've heard Washington DC is nice, if you don't have to work there.

Offline William Barton

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: 06/02/2007 07:57 PM »
I would say asteroids of all types, including Ceres and the Jovian Trojans, because they are small, easily accessible airless bodies that are (possibly) resource rich. I also chose the moons of Saturn (plenty of water and a planet-sized body covered with organics, including seas and lakes full of rocket fuel). I did not choose the moons of Jupiter due to the radiation environment for all moons closer than Callisto. And having grown up in Washington, DC, I have to say I'd much rather move to Vesta.

Offline palebluedot

« Reply #6 on: 06/02/2007 10:13 PM »
I've always loved the idea of space habitats. An O'Neill cylinder at earth-moon L4/L5 wouldn't be bad.. Though I guess there are other good L-points throughout the solar systems that could be stable enough.

Offline Ankle-bone12

« Reply #7 on: 06/03/2007 03:52 AM »
Even if we could live  on Venus, whay would anyone want to choose such a scary place? Acidic atmosphere, volcanicaly active, etc... horrible place.
Alex B.

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 482
« Reply #8 on: 06/03/2007 06:05 AM »
Ankle-bone12 - 2/6/2007  10:52 PM

Even if we could live  on Venus, whay would anyone want to choose such a scary place? Acidic atmosphere, volcanicaly active, etc... horrible place.

My point exactly. :)

Offline mong'

• Whatever gets us to Mars
« Reply #9 on: 06/03/2007 11:33 AM »
mars contains most of the ressources modern civilization needs, and it's not too far from the asteroid belt. after a few hundred years of painful settlement efforts it should be a really nice place to live.

Offline JonSBerndt

• Principal Systems Engineer
  • Westminster, CO
    • JSBSim Open Source Flight Dynamics Software Library
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #10 on: 06/03/2007 12:07 PM »
mong' - 3/6/2007  6:33 AM

mars contains most of the ressources modern civilization needs, and it's not too far from the asteroid belt. after a few hundred years of painful settlement efforts it should be a really nice place to live.

Define "really nice". :)

I think there's no place in this solar system (and probably no place we currently know of) that is better than Earth.

Jon
Jon S. Berndt
Aerospace Engineer
The opinions expressed herein are of course solely my own.

Offline TyMoore

• Veteran
  • Eureka, CA, USA
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: 06/03/2007 12:47 PM »
Jon, I think you're probably right. Although when we get far enough along that we have actual colonists sitting on or in various 'rocks' I suspect that  (for want of a better word) ecological artistic engineering (creative ecology?) will create some very nice places to live--but it will take time.

I suspect that as we move out amongst the stars, we will probably find planets similar to earth in temperature and in life supportability--many of them may already have life--but none will be truly 'earth like.' We may find planets where it is possible for humans to live without life support systems, but will they be close enough that such living is a pleasure? I don't know--that is a qualitative question that can only be answered by those (future) groups of individuals willing to take on such a challenge--and one of the beauties of the human species in my humble opinion--is that there are almost always some individuals willing to take a shot at it.

I will make a prediction though--and this won't happen until I am long gone I am sure--but when we do find habitable worlds that are infact colonizable, it is my suspicion that none will be quite like Earth; that Earth will be a unique example (as will all life bearing worlds) of life in this tiny corner of the universe, and that eventually when we do move out to the stars, we will recognize our homeworld for this uniqueness and preserve and protect it.

To the folks who actually move and take up residence wherever they end up: whatever worlds are close enough to earthlike conditions that an adventurous few take up the challenge--after they have invested generations of blood, sweat and tears, those worlds will also become home. And that I think is the natural way of things and is as it should be.

Offline meiza

• Expert
  • Where Be Dragons
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: 06/03/2007 01:59 PM »
In the solar system it's Mars - it has most of the chemical substances that bodies like the moon lack. People could live there in underground facilities.

Of course, it's probable that some better-than-mars planets exist at a 30 light year radius but interstellar travel is very very far off.
One issue is the stability of the star - the sun is a very stable one.

Offline stargazer777

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 06/04/2007 03:35 AM »
While we will explore most, if not all, of the places mentioned above -- very few of them will prove to be suitable/desirable places for long-term human settlement.  I think that something along the lines of the O'Neill space habitats will ultimately prove to be the the solution of choice for off-world habitation, at least until we find or create another Earth-type planet.  They offer earth type gravity, an earth like environment, and security from a wide variety of environmental threats we will find on the planets, moons and asteroids we are exploring or exploiting.  The O'Neill habitat concept is mobile and can be located virtually anywhere in the solar system.  In addition, it could conceivably be used as the basis for a multi-generation interstellar vessel.  As our technology and capabilities grow these habitats will ever more flexible and capable solutions for humans in space.

Offline lambda0

« Reply #14 on: 06/04/2007 06:28 AM »
According to Landis (NASA), the best place is ...Venus !
At 50 km altitude :
- Atmospheric pressure is 1 bar
- Temperature between 0 and 50C
- Plenty of solar energy but protection against the most dangerous radiations by the atmosphere
- As the atmosphere is composed of CO2, a quite heavy gase, a balloon filed of oxygen and nitrogen would be in equilibrium, and a 1 or 2 km diameter balloon would easily carry a small city
- Due to the rotation of the atmosphere, and by controling the latitude, it is possible to reproduce a day/night cycle similar to Earth
- The atmosphere contains oxygen, carbon, sulfur, in fact many of the elements necessary for life

At first sight, Venus seems to be a very hostile place (500C on the surface, P=100 atmosphere), unless this thick atmosphere is considered as an ocean : Earth is also not so pleasant at 10000 m under the level of the sea.
In fact, Venus may have many advantages compared to Mars...

Offline mong'

« Reply #15 on: 06/04/2007 10:28 AM »
the big problem with venus cloud cities is that you can't access the ressources within the ground. you have the carbon in the atmosphere but that's about it, you can't really live off the land there.

Offline JonSBerndt

• Principal Systems Engineer
  • Westminster, CO
    • JSBSim Open Source Flight Dynamics Software Library
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #16 on: 06/04/2007 10:50 AM »
stargazer777 - 3/6/2007  10:35 PM
They offer earth type gravity, an earth like environment, and security from a wide variety of environmental threats we will find on the planets, moons and asteroids we are exploring or exploiting. The O'Neill habitat concept is mobile and can be located virtually anywhere in the solar system. In addition, it could conceivably be used as the basis for a multi-generation interstellar vessel. As our technology and capabilities grow these habitats will ever more flexible and capable solutions for humans in space.

"Security"? At least Earth has an atmosphere to weed out lots of space debris. And as for use as an interstellar vehicle, doesn't the craft require sunlight for crop growth?

Jon
Jon S. Berndt
Aerospace Engineer
The opinions expressed herein are of course solely my own.

Offline 02hurnella

• Regular
« Reply #17 on: 06/04/2007 11:15 AM »
You can create artificial sunlight with nuclear power I guess......... might need quite a bit of nuclear materials for a generation ship. As for venus, yes i think you would need to import quite a bit, but that wouldn't HAVE to come from earth. If you got resources and materials from the moon and food production and habitats on venus you might be able to sustain a long term, off earth human popualtion. That should be one of the first goals of exploration i think.

Offline mong'

« Reply #18 on: 06/04/2007 02:15 PM »
the fact that you have to import material from the solar system to survive on venus kinda ruins the motivation for establishing a colony there in the first place.
mars is said to be the next best place to earth because it has lots of readily available ressources, necessary to establish a growing human presence.
the cost of space travel, even centuries from now forbids the appearance of human colonies that would need to import too much stuff to grow.

Offline stargazer777

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 06/04/2007 04:56 PM »
"Security"? At least Earth has an atmosphere to weed out lots of space debris. And as for use as an interstellar vehicle, doesn't the craft require sunlight for crop growth?
If you read the heading on the thread, it says "Other than Earth, where is the best place to live?"  I think that excludes Earth from consideration, don't you?   Besides, none of the habitable alternative locations -- has a significant atmosphere.  Additionally, space debris ceases to be a threat once you get out of the debris laden orbit of Earth.  These habitats can and will be designed to survive minor impacts and to get out of the way of larger stuff -- something no planetary or moon base can do.  As far as requiring sunlight -- it all depends on the design.  I am sure as we advance we may develop things like artificial light sources (whoa!) or even no longer need to plant crops in soil to grow food (ever heard of hydroponics?.)   Remember, as soon as you get beyond the asteroid belt, sunlight wouldn't be sufficient to sustain crops or for most solar power generation.  It is a very flexible concept and I am sure the design can and will change to suit whatever is called for.

Tags: