Author Topic: Solar Satellite Energy  (Read 12342 times)

Offline zinfab

• Space Junkie
  • North Carolina
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Solar Satellite Energy
« Reply #40 on: 07/28/2007 02:40 PM »

Offline publiusr

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #41 on: 08/10/2007 07:56 PM »
Coyote Smith and Armour are talking about this. Mrs. Clinton might rescue this.

Offline khallow

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #42 on: 08/10/2007 08:36 PM »
Having discussed the economics, one possible role for an SPS is as emergency power anywhere in the world. If you can get the receiving side to a manageable size, then you have a power source that you can tap anywhere you can unroll the receiver. I believe this is the reason the Pentagon is interested. All this high tech equipment requires a lot of juice. If you can have several hundred kilowatts delivered anywhere (say several hundred kilometers from any civilization, middle of the ocean, in a disaster area, etc) within seconds from an antenna array or sheet that a few soldiers can carry in (I don't know if this is possible), that's a useful capability. I could see them building a constellation of LEO-based SPS precisely for this purpose.
Karl Hallowell

Offline kfsorensen

• aerospace and nuclear engineer
  • Huntsville, AL
    • Flibe Energy
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #43 on: 08/12/2007 01:33 AM »
khallow - 10/8/2007  3:36 PM

Having discussed the economics, one possible role for an SPS is as emergency power anywhere in the world. If you can get the receiving side to a manageable size, then you have a power source that you can tap anywhere you can unroll the receiver.

That's the WHOLE problem.  The size of the receiver has nothing to do with the amount of power transmitted.  It is a function only of transmitter aperture, receiver aperture, transmission frequency, and distance between transmitter and receiver.

There is a strong economic incentive to keep the space-based transmitter as small as possible.  Therefore the receiver for the space solar power will be huge, and simply not portable.

Tags: