Author Topic: One orbit space tourism  (Read 376 times)

Offline Wracker

• Hoa Kỳ
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
One orbit space tourism
« on: 12/05/2018 12:59 AM »
I was looking at the X15 b ( a orbital version of the X15) on astronautix and I noticed the speed of the spacecraft is only a little over 2 km/s. The spacecraft can only barley achieve one orbit. Spaceship One can achieve 1.4 km/s with a cost of only $80,000 per flight. Perhaps we could use this orbit to extend the period in space for suborbital craft. Perhaps it could be used for zero g experiments.

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 2467
  • Likes Given: 3202
Re: One orbit space tourism
« Reply #1 on: 12/05/2018 01:08 AM »
I was looking at the X15 b ( a orbital version of the X15) on astronautix and I noticed the speed of the spacecraft is only a little over 2 km/s. The spacecraft can only barley achieve one orbit. Spaceship One can achieve 1.4 km/s with a cost of only $80,000 per flight. Perhaps we could use this orbit to extend the period in space for suborbital craft. Perhaps it could be used for zero g experiments.

You can't orbit the Earth at 2 km/s.  You've got your numbers wrong.

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 2467
  • Likes Given: 3202
« Reply #2 on: 12/05/2018 01:16 AM »

You can't orbit the Earth at 2 km/s.  You've got your numbers wrong.

Note that the X-15b was intended to have 2.5 km/s of delta-V capability of its own and could not reach orbit on its own.  It was intended to be the upper stage of at least a two-stage launch system, with one or more conventional rocket boosters as lower stages.

So the cost of $80,000 per SpaceShipOne flight isn't really relevant.  Most of the cost would be in the one or more rocket boosters to get the X-15b or equivalent up close to orbital speed.

Offline spaceman100

• NORTH EUROPE
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3 on: 12/05/2018 04:02 AM »
X-15B

Tags: