Author Topic: NASA TV Going Ultra-High Definition  (Read 18515 times)

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 63
Re: NASA TV Going Ultra-High Definition
« Reply #40 on: 12/13/2015 01:40 PM »
Do we know if the 4K channel is showing live coverage of launches? Or is it just recording launches and showing them aftre the fact as VT's..

If it's the later, an online stream isn't really needed until they do live coverage as the 4K vids are on YT
- Aaron

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 247
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #41 on: 12/13/2015 01:41 PM »
Nobody knows. At some point I can see it being live obviously but PAO is being pretty quiet about all of this.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1784
  • Likes Given: 3387
« Reply #42 on: 12/13/2015 03:45 PM »
Well -- I will say that when I have tried to stream the UHD versions of videos from TouTube (admittedly to a system with a monitor that only has a 1080 resolution) the stream hiccups every three or four seconds.  When I go down to the next-lower resolution, between UHD and regular HD, it runs smoothly.  And it's not a bandwidth issue -- I get 175 mbps download speed on my desktop system.  So, either a pretty decent high-end quad-core system with a pretty high-end display card can't handle the stream, or the stream itself is so dense that the streaming servers hiccup over it.

Unfortunately, the installed base of UHD-capable TVs and computer systems, and the bandwidth needed to stream in UHD (either via IP streaming or straight cable-system video streaming), are both small enough that UHD is not something most people can take advantage of.  And likely won't be for some time.  And it's always possible that UHD will go the way of 3D TV -- too little interest in it to create enough of an installed base to support transmitting programming in that format.

We'll have to see how it goes over the next few years.  I'm not saying video resolution won't go up as time goes on, just that this version of UHD isn't really there yet, in terms of an installed base or in terms of the bandwidth needed to support it.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #43 on: 12/13/2015 04:20 PM »
I'm not saying video resolution won't go up as time goes on, just that this version of UHD isn't really there yet, in terms of an installed base or in terms of the bandwidth needed to support it.

If this version of UHD isnt 'ready' then UHD Phase 2 wont be either, Thats when the FPS goes up to 120.
- Aaron

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1784
  • Likes Given: 3387
« Reply #44 on: 12/13/2015 04:47 PM »
I'm not saying video resolution won't go up as time goes on, just that this version of UHD isn't really there yet, in terms of an installed base or in terms of the bandwidth needed to support it.

If this version of UHD isnt 'ready' then UHD Phase 2 wont be either, Thats when the FPS goes up to 120.

Exactly.  Look -- the major cable companies are just now upgrading their systems from mpeg2 compression to mpeg4, because they haven't had the bandwidth or the installed base of equipment that is compatible with mpeg4 until now.  That's how far away the cable companies are from offering UHD service.

And while IP streaming is becoming more popular (and is in fact how some cable companies are now streaming their video), again, a vast majority of the installed base uses more traditional video streaming technologies -- which, as I said, are just now emerging from the 720p world.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline catdlr

• Viewed launches since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 2080
  • Likes Given: 1410
« Reply #45 on: 12/18/2015 09:35 PM »
another Advertisement  ;)

A Sharper Image of Space Exploration

Published on Dec 18, 2015
From spectacular views of Earth to life on the International Space Station to vivid images of rocket launches, NASA’s ultra high-definition (UHD), or 4K channel offers some of the clearest images ever made. NASA has been recording video aboard the International Space Station and other programs at a higher resolution than one can normally receive on the average high-definition television. This video filmed on a 4K camera in ultra-high definition features sharper images. Learn more about viewing this footage: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv... (Video: NASA/MSFC video)

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #46 on: 02/12/2016 10:29 PM »
SDO: Year 6 Ultra-HD

Published on Feb 12, 2016
The sun is always changing and NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory is always watching. Launched on Feb. 11, 2010, SDO keeps a 24-hour eye on the entire disk of the sun, with a prime view of the graceful dance of solar material coursing through the sun's atmosphere, the corona. SDO's sixth year in orbit was no exception. This video shows that entire sixth year -- from Jan. 1, 2015, to Jan. 28, 2016, as one time-lapse sequence. At full quality on YouTube, this video is ultra-high definition 3840x2160 and 29.97 frames per second. Each frame represents 2 hours. A downloadable version has a frame rate of 59.94 with each frame representing 1 hour. See below for the link.

SDO's Atmospheric Imaging Assembly (AIA) captures a shot of the sun every 12 seconds in 10 different wavelengths. The images shown here are based on a wavelength of 171 angstroms, which is in the extreme ultraviolet range and shows solar material at around 600,000 kelvins (about 1,079,540 degrees F). In this wavelength it is easy to see the sun's 25-day rotation.

During the course of the video, the sun subtly increases and decreases in apparent size. This is because the distance between the SDO spacecraft and the sun varies over time. The image is, however, remarkably consistent and stable despite the fact that SDO orbits Earth at 6,876 mph, and Earth orbits the sun at 67,062 mph.

Scientists study these images to better understand the complex electromagnetic system causing the constant movement on the sun, which can ultimately have an effect closer to Earth, too: Flares and another type of solar explosion called coronal mass ejections can sometimes disrupt technology in space. Moreover, studying our closest star is one way of learning about other stars in the galaxy. NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, built, operates and manages the SDO spacecraft for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington, D.C.

Credit: NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center/Wiessinger
Music: "Tides," a track available from Killer Tracks

Tony De La Rosa

Online guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1791
  • Likes Given: 1768
« Reply #47 on: 02/13/2016 07:22 AM »
Ultra HD may be nice. I would prefer a stream that actually streams though.

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #48 on: 02/14/2016 01:41 PM »

Ultra HD may be nice. I would prefer a stream that actually streams though.

I'm sure that's why they are not in a rush to stream this online. Most consumer Internet speeds won't support it and there just isn't enough content to make the investment worthwhile.

It'll come ;)

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 325
  • Likes Given: 969
« Reply #49 on: 02/29/2016 03:23 PM »
Another reason to keep the BUD(Big Ugly Dish) in my back yard operational and receiving satellite AMC-18.  Back in the day the channel was called NASA Select, that's where I used to watch all the early Shuttle launches.
Paul

Offline MediumFidelity

• Schaumburg, IL
    • Floodlight Software LLC
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #50 on: 02/29/2016 03:31 PM »
Another reason to keep the BUD(Big Ugly Dish) in my back yard operational and receiving satellite AMC-18.  Back in the day the channel was called NASA Select, that's where I used to watch all the early Shuttle launches.

I spent countless hours trying to get my dilapidated BUD aimed to get AMC-18C.  No luck.  I had a chance to see NASA TV's 4K footage on a 4K OLED set... wow.  Maybe this summer I'll get a new(er) dish and a proper mount for it.  Where does one find a C-Band dish these days?

-MF

Offline catdlr

« Reply #51 on: 02/12/2017 03:15 AM »
bump.....

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory: Year 7 Ultra HD (4k)

NASA Goddard

Published on Feb 11, 2017
The Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) has now captured nearly seven years worth of ultra-high resolution solar footage. This time lapse shows that full run from two of SDO's instruments. The large orange sun is visible light captured by HMI. The smaller golden sun is extreme ultraviolet light from AIA and reveals some of the suns atmosphere, the corona. Both appear at one frame every 12 hours. SDO's nearly unbroken run is now long enough to watch the rise and fall of the current solar cycle. The graph of solar activity shows the sunspot number, a measurement based on the number of individual spots and the number of sunspot groups. In this case, the line represents a smoothed 26-day average to more clearly show the overall trend.

Credit: NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center/Scott Wiessinger

Music: "Web of Intrigue" from Killer Tracks

This video is public domain and along with other supporting visualizations can be downloaded from the Scientific Visualization Studio at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/12500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJPz-oRnRDE?t=001

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #52 on: 02/12/2017 03:26 AM »
The Earth: 4K Extended Edition

NASA Johnson

Published on Feb 11, 2017
Can’t get enough of Earth? Then this is for you: an extended playback of Ultra High Definition views of Planet Earth, captured by NASA astronaut Jeff Williams during his mission on the International Space Station in 2016. You’ll see the French Riviera and the Sahara Desert, cross North America from Texas all the way to Canada, and more—this is your source for the view of your home planet from 250 miles up!

Fire up the biggest screen you have. Then throw on your favorite music, kick back and watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fYKMCCPh28?t=001

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #53 on: 09/13/2018 08:16 PM »
bump for Harmonics announcement...

New Streaming Service Featuring NASA Content - Trailer

Harmonic Inc
Published on Sep 13, 2018

This new UHD HDR channel is delivered over the top as an app utilizing a cloud-based end-to-end video streaming solution from Harmonic, Accedo, and CenturyLink. As the world’s first 24/7 UHD HDR video streaming service, the channel will provide viewers with access to VOD and linear content for an amazing experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBHViOnlMWM?t=001

The making of a new UHD channel featuring NASA content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVK1qoGh43g?t=001

Tony De La Rosa

Offline rliebman

• Liked: 7
« Reply #54 on: 09/13/2018 08:46 PM »
Does anyone have an insight to this being offered on DirecTV?

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #55 on: 09/14/2018 04:16 PM »

Odds are against it - did you make that request?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline rliebman

• Liked: 7
« Reply #56 on: 09/14/2018 04:30 PM »
yes, i have asked them for this to be offered.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11065
  • Likes Given: 329
« Reply #57 on: 09/14/2018 04:37 PM »

DirecTV is 720, not even 1080.

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #58 on: 09/14/2018 04:39 PM »
...as is Dish Network. And this appears to not have any live events anyways, so I see no path for providers to take UHD bandwidth for it...

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #59 on: 09/17/2018 11:30 PM »
Has anyone seen it yet? I have a 4K TV but don’t have a 4K Roku...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tags: