Author Topic: NASA Powerhead Demonstrator  (Read 5198 times)

Offline realtime

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 13
NASA Powerhead Demonstrator
« on: 10/15/2005 06:20 PM »
New idea in liquid motors.  Maybe this will get on an SDLV someday.

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/new_advances_liquid_rockets.html?14102005

Offline Chris Bergin

RE: NASA Powerhead Demonstrator
« Reply #1 on: 10/26/2005 02:53 PM »
Interesting article. Thanks for linking it up.

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 415
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: 10/27/2005 07:56 PM »
Chris Bergin - 26/10/2005  10:53 AM

Does anyone here know if this concept could be integrated into the SSME design?

Rocketdyne are going to have to do some update work on SSME anyhow, to ensure it is air-start capable, for the CLV upper stage.

I know that they have been talking about also changing the production methods for some parts of SSME after learning many lessons for reducing costs during the development of RS-68.   This would result in a less expensive and simplified SSME for disposable missions - the SSME-S.

Then if this powerhead offers significantly better performance, it might be with folding it into the full "Block III SSME-S" variant as an ideal powerplant for both vehicles in the new program.

Thoughts, anyone?
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline AndyMc

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 240
« Reply #3 on: 10/27/2005 08:52 PM »
Hi,

From the article, I gleen that the turbopumps will operate a higher pressures, but run cooler. So whats stopping them going with it now? and applying it to the SSME. There's no mention of any technical downsides or other hurdles to overcome as far a I can see.

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #4 on: 10/28/2005 04:11 AM »
kraisee - 27/10/2005  3:56 PM
Rocketdyne are going to have to do some update work on SSME anyhow, to ensure it is air-start capable, for the CLV upper stage.
QUOTE]

What is needed to ensure SSME air-start?

Offline realtime

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 10/28/2005 04:28 AM »
AndyMc - 27/10/2005  4:52 PM

Hi,

From the article, I gleen that the turbopumps will operate a higher pressures, but run cooler. So whats stopping them going with it now? and applying it to the SSME. There's no mention of any technical downsides or other hurdles to overcome as far a I can see.

Still experimental it seems.  Not man-rated like SSMEs, either.

Question for NASA techs: Would such modifications to SSME require re-rating for HSF?

Offline realtime

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 10/28/2005 04:31 AM »
kraisee - 27/10/2005  3:56 PM

Chris Bergin - 26/10/2005  10:53 AM

Does anyone here know if this concept could be integrated into the SSME design?

I know that they have been talking about also changing the production methods for some parts of SSME after learning many lessons for reducing costs during the development of RS-68.   This would result in a less expensive and simplified SSME for disposable missions - the SSME-S.

Then if this powerhead offers significantly better performance, it might be with folding it into the full "Block III SSME-S" variant as an ideal powerplant for both vehicles in the new program.

Thoughts, anyone?
I'm all for upgrades if they're ready for primetime.  I also favor standardization.  Again, how does this affect rating for HSF?  Is it cost of doing business or too prohibitive?

Tags: