Author Topic: 6 month travel to Mars - the Human factor  (Read 4473 times)

Offline joebacsi777

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
6 month travel to Mars - the Human factor
« on: 01/14/2007 12:10 AM »
I have 2 questions, about everyday life in space:
Hopefully in the not so far future human beings will spend not just month but years far away from Earth to the Mars and beyond... I've just read Buzz Aldrin's article Roadmap to Mars and there was one thing that just got into my head. He writes "expect a champagne welcome from the crew". :) Guess he doesn't mean that literally but... (http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/air_space/2076326.html?page=3)
Did anyone ever consume any drink that contained alcohol on orbit? Would there be any sideeffects beside loss of concentration, that is of course not allowable for an STS kind of LEO mission... I mean like would there be any oppositions against a hypotetical alcohol consummation in space, for example could some a crew of 6 who are not on duty on a spaceship travelling to Mars drink a beer and have a chat watching a movie, besides reading War and Peace during the 6 month travel to Mars? And I remember reading an Arthur C. Clarke novel where they drank a bottle of wine... Or did they already do it on the moon? ;)
Ok my second question if there is there was or ever will be a talk about human beings having sexual relation in zero G? On a 2 year mission would a scientific approach rule against astronauts having sexual relations in space because of any potential risks?
I hope it's appropriate to ask these questions on this site and that I'm not offending any one with such light weighted questions, but these ideas just came into my mind thinking about the human factor... Thx...
Andras

Offline TyMoore

• Veteran
  • Eureka, CA, USA
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
RE: 6 month travel to Mars - the Human factor
« Reply #1 on: 01/14/2007 03:15 AM »
Well, I can reply to the first one I think:

I believe that the crews of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project did in fact exchange some small libations: a few sips of Vodka in plastic bulbs as I recall.

I can't say for sure, but I think that there was a small 'consignment' of brandy that went aboard Skylab (unofficially of course)...

I would imagine that alcohol consumption of off duty personell would be tempered by the fact that if something catastrophic happens, then all hands would have to be ready on a moment's notice. Thus, I certainly don't expect any wild parties in space nor any hung over astronauts any time soon!

I'll leave the second part to another thread where this was actually discussed...

Offline PurduesUSAFguy

• Liked: 3
Re: 6 month travel to Mars - the Human factor
« Reply #2 on: 01/14/2007 04:09 AM »
I have it on very good authority that there was vodka almost always present on the MIR and likley on the ISS. Of course I'm not talking about plastered cosmonauts, but it is certainly a facet of Russian culture.

Offline HarryM

• California
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: 01/19/2007 08:36 PM »
Buzz Adrin had communion on the Moon, wine. Apollo 8 had some sort of drink onboard as part of their Christmas dinner but Borman wouldn't let them drink it.

Offline oriolesfan61

« Reply #4 on: 02/13/2007 10:50 PM »
I would say that if the 5 or 6 astronauts would be in the increasingly-becoming-cramped CEV instead of a more roomy MTV then sex would be even less possible--except by accident when moving around the Orion interior (although terrestrial humans have managed coitus in such cramped spaces as VW Beetles)...but I'm not going to say it.

Offline spaceflight101

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 02/14/2007 12:01 AM »
It's my belief that the Navy has quite a bit of data on the physiological effects of humans being confined for extended periods, but it's classified. They don't call it the "Silent Service" for nothing, you know.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11186
  • Likes Given: 331
« Reply #6 on: 02/14/2007 01:20 AM »
PurduesUSAFguy - 13/1/2007  12:09 AM

I have it on very good authority that there was vodka almost always present on the MIR and likley on the ISS. Of course I'm not talking about plastered cosmonauts, but it is certainly a facet of Russian culture.

It was there, I packed some for the MIR

Offline meiza

• Expert
  • Where Be Dragons
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: 02/14/2007 01:51 PM »
If you visit Russian space institutions, you can even buy space vodka bags as souvenir. :)

Offline Norm Hartnett

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: 02/15/2007 11:31 PM »
I have heard rumors that it was a tradition on the MIR for the out going crew to hide a bottle of cognac on board for the in coming crew to search for.

I would like to think that that tradition continues on ISS.
“You can’t take a traditional approach and expect anything but the traditional results, which has been broken budgets and not fielding any flight hardware.” Mike Gold - Apollo, STS, CxP; those that don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it: SLS.

Tags: