Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : WorldView Legion Flight 2 : CCSFS SLC-40 : NET August 2024  (Read 3873 times)

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 14324
  • Likes Given: 6134
Thread for WorldView Legion Flight 2

NSF Threads for WorldView Legion: Flight 1, Flight 2

Launch on Falcon 9 NET August 2024 from CCSFS SLC-40.  Second pair of Legion satellites going to mid-inclination LEO.  The first stage, B10xx-x, will land at LZ-1.

Other SpaceX resources on NASASpaceflight:
   SpaceX News Articles (Recent)  /   SpaceX News Articles from 2006 (Including numerous exclusive Elon interviews)
   SpaceX Dragon Articles  /  SpaceX Missions Section (with Launch Manifest and info on past and future missions)
   L2 SpaceX Section

Two new launches:
Maxar Technologies’ DigitalGlobe Selects SpaceX to Launch its Next-generation WorldView Legion Satellites
The initial block of the multi-satellite WorldView Legion constellation will be launched by two flight-proven Falcon 9 rockets in 2021.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180314005049/en/Maxar-Technologies%E2%80%99-DigitalGlobe-Selects-SpaceX-Launch-Next-generation
« Last Edit: 07/10/2024 06:00 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Online GewoonLukas_

• Lukas C. H.
  • Netherlands
  • Liked: 3615
  • Likes Given: 1795
NET second half of the year:

Cross-post:

Flight 1 is targeted for the first half of the year, with Flight 2 & 3 targeted for the second half of the year:

World Defense Show 2024: Maxar on course to have six observation satellites in orbit this year
14th February 2024

Technology and satellite company Maxar has said it expects to launch two Low-Earth Orbit (LEO) observation satellites within the next four months with another four in the second half of the year to create its WorldView Legion constellation.

[...]

The satellites will orbit at 450km, each measuring 3mx2mx2m without solar array and weighing approximately 625kg, with an expected lifespan of 10 years. The constellation will provide up to 15 revisits per day with a daily collection capacity of five million square kilometres.
Lukas C. H. • Hobbyist Mission Patch Artist 🎨 • May the force be with you my friend, Ad Astra Per Aspera ✨️

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Legion sats for Flight 2

...to permit Antonov to operate a single one-way all-cargo charter flight transporting two Earth observation satellites ... from Moffett Federal Airfield, CA (KNUQ) to Cape Canaveral/Titusville, FL (KTTS) during the period June 6-14, 2024, using an AN-124-100 aircraft. Antonov respectfully requests expedited consideration and approval of this application, which is necessary to allow the transportation of these commercial satellites to Cape Canaveral on time for a Falcon 9 rocket launch of the satellites that is scheduled to occur on July 15, 2024.
« Last Edit: 05/30/2024 08:10 pm by gongora »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
looks like that flight happened on the 9th

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7919
  • Likes Given: 77387
NextSpaceflight; updated June 7:
Launch NET July 15, 2024
First stage landing at LZ-1

My bold:
Ben Cooper's Launch Photography Viewing Guide; updated June 12:
The next SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch a Starlink batch from pad 40 on June 12 at 9:00 p.m. EDT. A Falcon 9 will launch the SES-24/Astra 1P communication satellite for SES from pad 40 on June 17 around 5:35-8:20 p.m. EDT. Upcoming launches include more Starlink batches from pad 40. The next Falcon Heavy will launch NASA & NOAA's GOES-U GOES-N weather satellite from pad 39A on June 25 at 5:16-7:16 p.m. EDT. The side boosters will land back at the Cape about eight minutes after launch. Upcoming launches include more Starlink batches from pad 40. A Falcon 9 will launch the Turksat 6A communication satellite on July 7. A Falcon 9 will launch the Polaris human spaceflight mission on July 12. A Falcon 9 will launch the Worldview Legion 2 imaging satellite on July 15. The first stage will land back at the Cape about eight minutes after launch.

No launch complex noted.  We should see (somewhat?) alternating use of SLC-40 and LC-39A to handle the July launch cadence.  ASDS cadence will not be a concern for this launch.
« Last Edit: 06/14/2024 07:24 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Re: launch NET July 15:
I suspect launch will be later than July 15, as we have no news yet of the satellites' delivery to Florida, much less processing for launch.  Edit: see gongora's post above.

See the Flight 1 thread here for the March 18 news of delivery to Vandenberg.
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45220.msg2578234#msg2578234

Also, specific mention of the launch disappeared from Ben Cooper's website.
Ben Cooper's Launch Photography Viewing Guide; updated June 22:
The next SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch a Starlink batch from pad 40 on June 23 at 1:15-5:01 p.m. EDT. The next Falcon Heavy will launch NASA & NOAA's GOES-U weather satellite from pad 39A on June 25 at 5:16-7:16 p.m. EDT. The side boosters will land back at the Cape about eight minutes after launch. A Falcon 9 will launch a Starlink batch from pad 40 on June 27 at 7:00-11:00 a.m. EDT. Upcoming launches include more Starlink batches from pad 40. A Falcon 9 will launch the Turksat 6A communication satellite on July 7.

Edited
« Last Edit: 06/22/2024 09:45 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
They were delivered on the 9th

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Currently scheduled and extrapolation, SLC-40 and ASDS turnarounds, UTC:

✅️ Jul 8                               21:20 23:30   Turksat 6A                        JRTI

Jul 14 ~Jul 11/12 12 13  TBD   07:35   Starlink 10-4 TBD             ASOG

Jul 15?                                          TBD     WorldView Legion 3 & 4  LC-39A or SLC-40/LZ-1

Edited; best viewed in landscape.
« Last Edit: 07/09/2024 03:39 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
No new news yet for WorldView Legion Flight 2; chances of a launch directly on the NET July 15 date decreasing:
Ben Cooper's Launch Photography Viewing Guide; updated July 8, after Türksat 6A launch:
The next SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch a Starlink batch from pad 40 on July 14 at 3:35-7:35 a.m. EDT. Upcoming launches include more Starlink batches. A Falcon 9 will launch the Polaris Dawn spaceflight participant mission from pad 39A on July 31. A Falcon 9 will launch the Cygnus NG-21 resupply mission to the International Space Station from pad 40 on August 3 around 10 a.m. EDT. The first stage will land back at the Cape about eight minutes after launch.
Caveat: The first firm launch date/window for Flight 1 from Vandenberg was revealed 5 days before said date.
« Last Edit: 07/09/2024 04:22 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
SFN Launch Schedule, updated July 10:
Launch NET August
CCSFS SLC-40

This launch would be after Cygnus NG-21 on August 3 from SLC-40.

My guess is that there have been payload launch processing delays?
« Last Edit: 07/10/2024 06:32 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography