Author Topic: NASASpaceflight.com Six Months Old  (Read 7696 times)

Offline newsartist

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: NASASpaceflight.com Six Months Old
« Reply #20 on: 10/08/2005 08:17 PM »
Very well done and congratulations to Chris and all.

But I take some minor exception, (and I realize realtime's post was with tongue firmly in cheek,) to any encouragement of a 'post-count' mentality of seniority. That is what floods other boards with garbage.

So far, the people who post here have value to their words and not just bulk for bulk's sake, and I hope it stays the same for many more years!

Offline Space101

• Leeds, England
« Reply #21 on: 10/09/2005 10:34 PM »
A very good point there from Newsartist. I know some sites that have threads like "Say the next word in this story" and "Increase your postcount threads". I hope they never make an appearance on here as they have absolutely nothing to do with the content. It's quality over quantity that is important. Easy to find info is what I like about a site with posts that are all relevant.
Let's go and explore space.

Offline realtime

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #22 on: 10/10/2005 02:17 AM »
Maybe they're getting microcredits for showing the banner ads after each page load.  For them, quantity pays the freight.

Which brings up an interesting question.  Who pays the freight here?!!   :o

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #23 on: 10/10/2005 07:26 AM »
realtime - 10/10/2005  3:17 AM

Maybe they're getting microcredits for showing the banner ads after each page load.  For them, quantity pays the freight.

Which brings up an interesting question.  Who pays the freight here?!!   :o

The idea was to simply have a site built (by Covalent Media in Dallas) that was very "clean" and un-intimidating - as we were targeting the "real rockets and space ships are very cool, I like going to a website that takes me up a level past watching launches on TV without confusing the hell out of me." So we didn't want to have a overblown site that took the visitor half the day to find what they were looking for, have news that wasn't (where possible) already out there - or at least is content that one finds of value - and have a forum where you didn't need a degree in Aerospace Engineering to post and ask questions. etc.etc.

The first year was planned simply to establish some level of a presence, build up the audience, build up the writer pool (still on-going - but getting there) and have some experts/people involved in the industry on the forum who were willing to be patient with inquisitive posters.

Basically, it's happened a lot sooner (although it's no where near where I want the site to be at its apogee ;) ).

As far as revenue streams, well that was pointless until we had decent visitor figures...which we're at now, so it's been looked into.

A couple of important points as, we've successfully done this before with a few sites:

1) Competition issues set to zero. You get absolutely nowhere by a) trying to be the best and give the impression everyone else sucks. I've never believed that is productive. There's plenty of room for everyone and more - and if we ever cause another space news site to feel we're somehow diluting their audience (we already know of one site that is unjustifiably paranoid of us), then they'll have to raise their game and that's all good.

2) Revenue streams should never be intrusive: No selling of mailing lists (when the forum starts getting memberships in the 1000s - membership should exponentially rise year on year as we establish presence). No pop-up ads. No non specific ads if at all possible. You can see we've cleared the top banner area of the forum for adspace - that's going to be worked on soon - and there's space on the news pages too.

3) Keeping the site "clean": Revenue streams should not take away the accessibility and usability of the site.

Site's like this are not cheap. They cost four figures to build and three figures a month on the servers alone (this is on more than one server dedicated server to keep it running smooth), so we'll aim to keep a happy balance on the revenue stream element.

Offline Tahii

• Fetch me a fix of anesthetic
  • Lurking around the Awarua Space Tracking Station
  • Invercargill, New Zealand
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #24 on: 10/10/2005 08:19 AM »
So the next question is this - who has been paying for it all - you?

If so, good job!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #25 on: 10/10/2005 08:20 AM »
Tahii - 10/10/2005  9:19 AM

If so, good job!

The clue is in the name ;)

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #26 on: 10/11/2005 12:46 AM »
Chris Bergin - 10/10/2005  4:20 AM

Tahii - 10/10/2005  9:19 AM

If so, good job!

The clue is in the name ;)

Humm.. more tax dollars hard at work... just don't get the UK side of the coin, unless there are some sort of UK-USA option in space flight that is opening up soon... just a guess...  ;)

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #27 on: 10/12/2005 10:49 AM »
Clue in MY name :)

Offline newsartist

« Reply #28 on: 10/14/2005 03:05 AM »
"...1) Competition issues set to zero. ..."

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Offline discovery_fan

• Veteran
  • Austria EU
« Reply #29 on: 10/14/2005 11:38 AM »
Cogratulations on the site!
Its my favorite spaceflight site, and I learn someting new here everytime I am reading.
All the best to you

Offline SimonShuttle

• Elite Veteran
  • Manchester, England
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #30 on: 10/17/2005 04:18 PM »
The forum really is starting to get some increased traffic now. That's good to see!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #31 on: 10/17/2005 04:25 PM »
It's heading in the right direction, but we still need everyone to spread the word. You are all founder members of the site by rights and hold that responsability.

Tags: