Author Topic: First Shuttle Night Launch  (Read 4455 times)

Offline STSFan10

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
First Shuttle Night Launch
« on: 12/11/2006 03:07 AM »
When was this and did NASA have any concerns about carrying this out?
"Damn it's good to be a Cylon.....There ain't no Earth anyway."

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 4
RE: First Shuttle Night Launch
« Reply #1 on: 12/11/2006 03:30 AM »
STS-8, August 30, 1983, 2:32:00 a.m. EDT (STS-8 also made the first night landing).

In our 2002 interview, Guy Bluford said that it was these milestones that set apart the mission from others: "It was the first night launch and the first night landing of the shuttle. So we had to, as a crew, figure out the techniques that were required to launch the thing at night and as well as land the thing at night. I think that was the most significant thing, particularly in reference to space exploration history, that STS-8 was responsible for."

Offline Stevo

« Reply #2 on: 12/11/2006 04:06 AM »
I've never seen a video of either this launch or this landing. Does anyone have one or know where I can find one online?

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #3 on: 12/11/2006 04:15 AM »

Offline Rob in KC

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 55
Re: First Shuttle Night Launch
« Reply #4 on: 12/12/2006 04:32 AM »
The lightning protection system didn't help much there!

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
« Reply #5 on: 12/12/2006 01:47 PM »
Avron - 10/12/2006  10:58 PM

Some nice images at http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov

Was the orbiter or pad actually struck by lightning in this photo? Couldn't have been as bad as it looks because they got STS-8 off the ground that night.

Also, not related to the night launch, but STS-8 experienced a close-call with the SRBs when the nozzle insulation almost burned through. Anyone know how close to disaster they actually came? :o

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #6 on: 12/12/2006 02:25 PM »
shuttlefan - 12/12/2006  9:30 AM

Was the orbiter or pad actually struck by lightning in this photo? Couldn't have been as bad as it looks because they got STS-8 off the ground that night.

Also, not related to the night launch, but STS-8 experienced a close-call with the SRBs when the nozzle insulation almost burned through. Anyone know how close to disaster they actually came? :o

No - stike was near not on the pad

ref :http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb/caption_direct.jsp?photoId=S83-40452

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #7 on: 12/13/2006 08:26 PM »

Shuttlefan...I remember reading back in '83 that STS-8 was "within seconds" of possible disaster due to SRB nozzle insulation burning through. I believe STS-9 was delayed a month because of further inspection requirements.

Offline shuttlefan

« Reply #8 on: 12/14/2006 02:52 AM »
TJL - 13/12/2006  3:09 PM

Shuttlefan...I remember reading back in '83 that STS-8 was "within seconds" of possible disaster due to SRB nozzle insulation burning through. I believe STS-9 was delayed a month because of further inspection requirements.

Ya, STS-9 was rolled back from Pad 39-A to the VAB ( the first rollback in the Shuttle Program ), to replace the nozzle on one of the SRBs because it was suspect due to the STS-8 problem. ;)

Offline rerickson

• Anacortes, WA
  • Likes Given: 1
STS-8 nozzle burn-through
« Reply #9 on: 04/26/2009 02:50 AM »
I'm surprised not to find any follow-up discussion on the STS-8 nozzle insulation burn-through. If they were within seconds of LOVC, that's big! (I imagine the risk is worse than, e.g., the flight that lost two engine controllers, if nozzle failure would cause burn to the orbiter or ET.)

Any word on what happened?
Should I start a new thread on this topic, or continue here?

shuttlefan - 12/12/2006  9:30 AM

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11187
  • Likes Given: 331
Re: STS-8 nozzle burn-through
« Reply #10 on: 04/26/2009 12:49 PM »
I'm surprised not to find any follow-up discussion on the STS-8 nozzle insulation burn-through. If they were within seconds of LOVC, that's big! (I imagine the risk is worse than, e.g., the flight that lost two engine controllers, if nozzle failure would cause burn to the orbiter or ET.)

Any word on what happened?

Nozzle failure would mean loss of control. 

Don't understand the last question

Offline shuttlefan

Re: First Shuttle Night Launch
« Reply #11 on: 04/26/2009 01:25 PM »
Nozzle burn-through would mean loss of control, as Jim just mentioned, because you'd have flame shooting out the side, providing thrust that direction, and the vehicle would probably just spiral into the ocean. I've read that they were only 14 seconds from that ocurring.

Offline Webhamster

• Ottawa, ON
Re: RE: First Shuttle Night Launch
« Reply #12 on: 04/27/2009 05:40 PM »
I've never seen a video of either this launch or this landing. Does anyone have one or know where I can find one online?

An 18 minute summary film with the crew can be viewed online: http://www.nss.org/resources/library/shuttlevideos/shuttle08.htm

Tags: