Author Topic: Is the Shuttle the most amazing machine ever made?  (Read 2892 times)

Offline FransonUK

• Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me...don't ya
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
"As I have often said publicly, the shuttle is the most amazing machine humans have ever built, and it has been the recipient of the most brilliant engineering that America can provide."

As part of Griffin's apology on what he said early.

Anyone think of a better machine?
Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 5
RE: Is the Shuttle the most amazing machine ever made?
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/2005 01:33 AM »
I think that is actually correct. One is best to see one launch.

Power and grace. Complexity and beauty. All in one package.

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #2 on: 10/04/2005 05:02 AM »
Flightstar - 3/10/2005  9:33 PM

At a small price.. in both money and time... time we wait for more foam fixes.. but I would love to watch a launch... hell its not my $$$

Offline SimonShuttle

• Elite Veteran
  • Manchester, England
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #3 on: 10/04/2005 08:04 AM »
Not my money either, but when we look back in 10 years and watch videos we'll know we were lucky to have those ladies.

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 415
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: 10/05/2005 04:03 AM »
Flightstar - 3/10/2005  9:33 PM

For my money, its not the Shuttle which is amazing, but the team which prepare the fleet for flight.

I would actually agree with Griffin's original comment that Shuttle was a mistake.   It is an overly complicated design, which is a crippling weakness in the system, but which is ultimately the pure result of a lack of political and financial support which predates even the first flight.

However it is a testament to the men and women who work on the STS program that they have managed to keep such an incredibly complicated system flying as safely and as reliably as they have managed.   Having met a number of these people, I have no hesitation in doffing my cap to each and every one of them for their incredible efforts.

I am awed by the magical beauty of every Shuttle launch I have been priviledged to witness, but my awe derives from how astonishingly well those people make this complex system work, not how good the system is, in and of itself.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Superluminal

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: 10/05/2005 05:21 AM »

As I have often said publicly, the shuttle is the most amazing machine humans have ever built, and it has been the recipient of the most brilliant engineering that America can provide."

Hi . I agree.

I'm just a lone soul here, who has followed space flight since the late 50's and sputnik.

IMHO ... 

The Shuttles are the most fascinating engeneering machine that human technology could have ever accomplished up until this point in time. 

I think it's a big mistake to retire the Shuttles upon ISS completion. These Shuttles have way more to give than just one mission per launch. 

Let me explain.

The shuttles are one excellent space tool.  All of them.

Just think of what a shuttle crew could accomplish if there was only a way to refuel the shuttles while in orbit.

To have several orbital service stations ( One at ISS ) that also has the capacity to recharge it's air, food, water and fuel supply . 

The two most dangerous points of a present shuttle mission is the launch and landing.

If only there was a way at present to refuel a shuttles vital necessities, in orbit.

Then a crew could accomplish more than one ISS mission per launch and landing.

If the remaining ISS components could be launched by rocket to low earth orbit and the shuttle could retreive and load them to ferry back to ISS for installation.

Then a crew of seven could accomplish up to three or four missions per launch and landing. Instead of one.

It just seems a shame to retire an excellent piece of equipment that a lot of ingenious souls have put their lives, heart, soul, and persperation into.

Bottom line is.

These excellent machines are capable of a lot more.

If only there was a way to safely refuel their vital necessities, while in orbit.... 

Columbia and Challenger = starships of Heroes

Offline SimonShuttle

• Elite Veteran
  • Manchester, England
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #6 on: 10/05/2005 07:18 AM »
Why do people on here think there are so many bashers around? I know the general public support them, but a lot of space fans don't. What's the reasons?

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 507
  • Likes Given: 226
« Reply #7 on: 10/05/2005 10:59 AM »
The main reason I think is that they were overhyped in the 1970s. 

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #8 on: 10/05/2005 11:09 AM »
SimonShuttle - 5/10/2005  8:18 AM

Why do people on here think there are so many bashers around? I know the general public support them, but a lot of space fans don't. What's the reasons?

Too expensive, only LEO, now building the ISS as its primary role and most people don't support the ISS.

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #9 on: 10/06/2005 04:22 AM »
SimonShuttle - 5/10/2005  3:18 AM

I think its all about getting the most from the resources. Yes, the it has been a great adventure to see what a winged space vehicle can do, but we have also found out that it just does not meet its requirements, and is just too risky. I would love them to keep flying, but there really is a time and place for everything, and its time to move on..

We need to keep moving forward in manned space exploration, that means flying in space... not fixing foam issues that should have been tested and fixed before or after STS-1. Clearly there was a risk that was not covered or managed. Again, we also need more that one option, a fall back, just in case the new model does not meet its design requirements in the real world.

I would love someone go get out the old specs/requirments from the 70's so we can review just how well this test vehicle has worked.

We talk of PR, well the best is always a good show, and that means having something to show.. time to a do a lot of showing.

Tags: