Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : Transporter-3 Rideshare : CCSFS SLC-40 : 13 January 2022 (1525 UTC)  (Read 181741 times)

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1460
  • Likes Given: 1351
Is there any confirmation that the booster used for this launch will be expendable? And any speculation on which one will be used?

I strongly believe this mission is an RTLS based on the FCC filing. No droneship location in the FCC filing and the LZ-1 coordinates of "North  28  29  11, West  80  32  51" appear in the filing, just as they did with Transporter-2.
Astronomer & launch photographer

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 15586
  • Likes Given: 9782
Sherpa tug removed from Transporter 3 mission due to propellant leak

https://spacenews.com/propellant-leak-forces-sherpa-tug-off-spacex-rideshare-mission/

Quote from: Jeff Foust
A Sherpa tug has been removed from an upcoming SpaceX rideshare mission after its propulsion system developed a leak, forcing Spaceflight to find new rides for 10 cubesats.

« Last Edit: 12/23/2021 08:02 am by woods170 »

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1532
  • Likes Given: 1186
VZLUSAT-2 managed to stay on this launch by moving from SHERPA-LTC1 to D-Orbit's deployer. They also confirmed the launch was delayed to January 13 in the second tweet.

Translation:
Yesterday, there were reports of problems with the Sherpa deployer, in which VZLUSAT-2 was also integrated. Thanks to the overnight work of technicians from @SpaceflightInc @SpaceX @D_Orbit @VZLUcz and @spacemanictech, it was possible to integrate the satellite into another separator in record time. We will launch according to plan

Also, the rocket launch was moved to January 13.

https://twitter.com/VZLUcz/status/1473932895349874688

« Last Edit: 12/23/2021 10:51 am by scr00chy »

Offline Conexion Espacial

• Liked: 2488
  • Likes Given: 1918
Is there any confirmation that the booster used for this launch will be expendable? And any speculation on which one will be used?

I strongly believe this mission is an RTLS based on the FCC filing. No droneship location in the FCC filing and the LZ-1 coordinates of "North  28  29  11, West  80  32  51" appear in the filing, just as they did with Transporter-2.
According to NextSpaceFlight, the first stage landing will be in Landing Zone 1.
I publish information in Spanish about space and rockets.
https://twitter.com/conexionspacial

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 5315
  • Likes Given: 47803

See the post immediately above this one.

To close the loop, there was discussion, referenced up-thread, of the possibility of expending 1049.11.

So, perhaps a "higher-milage" booster will be used to launch Transporter-3 (not a certainty).
« Last Edit: 12/23/2021 09:58 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.)
My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!"

Online Yiosie

• Liked: 588
  • Likes Given: 72
Kepler plots relay network to serve thousands of satellite terminals [dated Dec. 23]

Steve Bennett, Kepler’s chief operating officer, said the company plans to launch four satellites in January, as part of SpaceX’s Transporter 3 Falcon 9 ride-share mission.

“We are constantly iterating on the satellites that we put into orbit – one of the strengths of having manufacturing in house,” Bennett told SpaceNews via email.

“With the upcoming launch, two of our satellites will be carrying [Aether] user equipment to prove out the design and build the flight heritage.”

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Source: https://amsat-dl.org/satelliten-geplant/

Satellite listed aboard Transporter-3: CZE-BDSat, along with others already listed here.

Also listed aboard Alba Orbital Cluster 3 in Q2 2022 are: TartanArtibeus-1 and PyCubed-1.
« Last Edit: 12/28/2021 11:39 am by zubenelgenubi »

Online Rondaz

• Liked: 5287
  • Likes Given: 166
Sherpa tug removed from Transporter 3 mission due to propellant leak

https://spacenews.com/propellant-leak-forces-sherpa-tug-off-spacex-rideshare-mission/

Quote from: Jeff Foust
A Sherpa tug has been removed from an upcoming SpaceX rideshare mission after its propulsion system developed a leak, forcing Spaceflight to find new rides for 10 cubesats.
The leak was discovered the same day that Benchmark announced that its thrusters had been installed on Sherpa and fueled. The Halcyon Avant thrusters use high-test peroxide and hydrocarbon propellants that offer performance similar to systems that use hydrazine and mixed oxides of nitrogen, company officials said, without the handling challenges of those toxic propellants.

The Halcyon Avant thrusters installed on Sherpa-LTC1 are the first slated to go to space after completing ground tests. A company spokesperson referred questions about the leak to Spaceflight.

[zubenelgenubi: Newspaper and magazine articles, print and electronic, are copyrighted.
Brief quotes are allowed in the forum, not most or all of an article.  I deleted article content that was already covered in this thread.  See posts immediately up-thread.]
« Last Edit: 12/28/2021 11:26 am by zubenelgenubi »

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator

Satellite listed aboard Transporter-3: CZE-BDSat, along with others already listed here.

Also listed aboard Alba Orbital Cluster 3 in Q2 2022 are: Tartan Artibeus-1 and PyCubed-1.

See: https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sat/pocketqub.htm

Tartan Artibeus-1 = Carnegie Mellon satellite?   This is the satellite's organization.

Also, is CZE-BDSat an alias for VZLUSAT-2?  Both are listed as from the Czech Republic.  They are two different satellites.
« Last Edit: 12/28/2021 12:30 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net

Also listed aboard Alba Orbital Cluster 3 in Q2 2022 are: TartanArtibeus-1 and PyCubed-1.

Official website for BDSat is counting down to April 22, 2022 and mentions a SpaceX launch, so I'm doubtful it's actually slated for Transporter-3. But maybe Transporter-4? I've seen some hints that one might have slipped to April.

EDIT: But then again, this is from 2 months ago, so who knows. Maybe there was some shuffling and they just forgot to update the countdown.

Planning a launch in Q1 2022 on the SpaceX Transporter 3 mission into a 500 or 600km circular SSO
« Last Edit: 12/28/2021 12:57 pm by scr00chy »

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4154
  • Likes Given: 4113
The Launch Photography Viewing Guide, dated December 11, lists Transporter-3 launching from SLC-40; not a surprise for payloads bound for Sun-synchronous orbits.

(A launch from LC-39A along this trajectory would overfly other launch complexes further south.)

(snip)

A Falcon 9 from pad 40 will launch the Transporter-3 rideshare mission to polar orbit on January 13, likely at 10:00am EST. The first stage will land back at the Cape about eight minutes after launch.
But

According to this posting from one of Transporter-3's customers, the mission is scheduled to launch at 10:00 UTC.
https://twitter.com/innova_space/status/1464225608624484357
« Last Edit: 12/29/2021 11:07 pm by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Any news of Starlink satellites on this launch?

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
Launch time is 10:25 am Eastern as per Ben Cooper and also SFN.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4154
  • Likes Given: 4113
Can't we get a nice U.S. daytime launch once in a while? 
(that doesn't seem like a great time for all the visible light earth observation sats?)
Whiner!
6AM EST is ~67 minutes before sunrise
Could be a twilight show and I might have a front row seat
(as in 5th floor looking down on the beach near to west of the staging point)
How many kilometers downrange is staging?
Launch time is 10:25 am Eastern as per Ben Cooper and also SFN.
10:25AM 🤬
Are you happy now?

Still, can anyone answer my question above?
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline DigitalMan

• Liked: 1078
  • Likes Given: 74
Gongora might be happy, but I prefer twilight launches for the best plume effects.

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1460
  • Likes Given: 1351
Gongora might be happy, but I prefer twilight launches for the best plume effects.

Non-zero chance the CSG-2 mission will be a twilight launch.
Astronomer & launch photographer

Online OneSpeed

• Liked: 3972
  • Likes Given: 1711
Still, can anyone answer my question above?

If the trajectory is similar to Transporter-2, staging will be east of North Hutchinson Island, at an elevation about 76°.

Offline RocketLover0119

• Space Geek
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 6750
  • Likes Given: 1606
Going to make a very rough guess that B1052.3 will be used, 60 is getting the Starlink launch tomorrow for its 10th flight, and I would imagine for a customer payload they wouldn’t want to risk the mission with one of the life leaders. Also, B1052 was spotted with a stage 2 already integrated, meaning it should be good to go. Would watch out for the very high chance of a firing early next week if 52 is indeed being used considering this core has not seen flight in a while and is the first core to see flight after being converted from heavy.
« Last Edit: 01/05/2022 11:19 pm by RocketLover0119 »
"The Starship has landed"

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 2601
  • Likes Given: 3297
Going to make a very rough guess that B1052.3 will be used, 60 is getting the Starlink launch tomorrow for its 10th flight, and I would imagine for a customer payload they wouldn’t want to risk the mission with one of the life leaders. Also, B1052 was spotted with a stage 2 already integrated, meaning it should be good to go. Would watch out for the very high chance of a firing early next week if 52 is indeed being used considering this core has not seen flight in a while and is the first core to see flight after being converted from heavy.

Converted FH booster sounds like a great option for this flight.  I’d put my nickel on that one.
Superheavy + Starship the final push to launch commit!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography