Author Topic: Electron - Flight 14 Capella Sequoia - August 31, 2020, 03:05 UTC  (Read 34482 times)

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 82696
  • Likes Given: 37217
https://twitter.com/peter_j_beck/status/1275278212830867459

Flight 14ís stage test is complete. Next stop, the launch site where flight 13 is already on the pad. #PuttingTheHammerDown
« Last Edit: 08/31/2020 01:57 pm by gongora »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7651
  • Likes Given: 74685
I split/merged the budding launch cadence discussion to the general discussion thread.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8486
  • Likes Given: 5384
This mission will likely get pushed back a couple of months now after the 13th flight failure.

Offline TrevorMonty

This mission will likely get pushed back a couple of months now after the 13th flight failure.
Couple of months! You are optimistic.
« Last Edit: 07/04/2020 10:40 pm by TrevorMonty »

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1811
  • Likes Given: 1302

That really depends on how quickly Rocket Lab determines and remedied the issue that cause the launch failure.

Offline Lars-J

• California
It all depends on how quickly they can find the root cause, and how easy it is to fix. I find a stand down of more than 6 months to be VERY unlikely given that this system now has built up some flight history.

Offline TrevorMonty

It all depends on how quickly they can find the root cause, and how easy it is to fix. I find a stand down of more than 6 months to be VERY unlikely given that this system now has built up some flight history.
It was 6months between 1st and 2nd flights. Failure was external ground monitoring equipment not Electron. There may have been issues in 1st flight that RL wanted fixed before 2nd.

Offline Lars-J

• California
It was 6months between 1st and 2nd flights. Failure was external ground monitoring equipment not Electron. There may have been issues in 1st flight that RL wanted fixed before 2nd.
Well there is obviously something they want to adjust here as well? So Iím not sure what your point is. If my prediction for the wait until launch 14 (less than 6 months) is wrong, make your own.

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14153
  • Likes Given: 1397
6 makes sense..

2 months to identify cause, replicate it etc.
2 months to design a fix, implement, test, qualify...
2 months to get going again since they haven't hit 1 month turn around time yet anyway.

I like RL. 12 launches is nice, it's a completely new vehicle.  I hope that they can continue fabrication and once they get going again we'll see a 2x cadence or even higher, and they'll catch up in no time.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline TrevorMonty

Well there is obviously something they want to adjust here as well? So Iím not sure what your point is. If my prediction for the wait until launch 14 (less than 6 months) is wrong, make your own.
I'm saying 2 months is optimistic. My guess 4-6 months.

Offline ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Liked: 1566
  • Likes Given: 799

I thought they were a little tighter on money back then?  Had to get it right...couldn't afford another failure...kinda like Falcon1 and SpaceX.

Offline rakaydos

• Liked: 1872
  • Likes Given: 69
You could say the production teams need to put their hammer's down for awhile.

What is it with rocket lab and their ironic names?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Belated post from the day before the Flight 13 launch failure:
Rocket Lab plans next launch Saturday, closes in on first mission from Virginia, dated July 3
After Saturdayís [July 4] mission, next up for Rocket Lab will be another Electron flight from New Zealand with a radar observation craft for Capella Space, a San Francisco startup developing a fleet of commercial all-weather surveillance satellites.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Cross-post; note no mention yet of customer or payload aboard return-to-flight Flight 14:
Rocket Lab to Resume Electron Launches in August

Four weeks after experiencing an in-flight anomaly, Rocket Lab has identified the issue and received approval from the Federal Aviation Administration to return to flight

Long Beach, California. July 31, 2020 Ė Rocket Lab today announced that it has received approval from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to resume launches this month after identifying an anomalous electrical connection as the cause of an in-flight failure on July 4, 2020. With corrective measures underway, the next Electron launch has been scheduled for August from Launch Complex 1.
<snip>
Rocket Lab is now set to return to the pad in August to launch a dedicated mission from Launch Complex 1 Pad A on New Zealandís Māhia Peninsula. Specific details of the launch window and customer will be provided in the coming days.

https://www.rocketlabusa.com/news/updates/rocket-lab-to-resume-electron-launches-in-august/
« Last Edit: 08/02/2020 03:45 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 82696
  • Likes Given: 37217
Peter Beck participated in a SmallSat discussion today. At about 9m 15s he says that next flight will be in 10 to 12 days:

Offline Tahii

• Fetch me a fix of anesthetic
  • Lurking around the Awarua Space Tracking Station
  • Invercargill, New Zealand
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 12
The next launch window opens 12 August 1500hrs-1900hrs NZST, daily through till 25 August, according to the regional council, announcing the range closure.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
The next launch window opens 12 August 1500hrs-1900hrs NZST, daily through till 25 August, according to the regional council, announcing the range closure.
NZST = UTC + 12:00

12 August 15:00 to 19:00 NZST = 12 August 03:00 to 07:00 UTC.

Please also note flight payload has not yet been confirmed.
« Last Edit: 08/05/2020 03:55 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Itís almost just over 2 days to the start of the window, any news about this?
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853

Offline tehwkd

No NOTAMs yet but the NAVWARs that were added on the 6th remain active. Likely won't launch at the start of the window but 2 week window means plenty of time for wooshing.
Custodian of NextLaunch & LaunchStuff |   Utilizer of Google

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography