Author Topic: Starship Manufacturing Facility in Boca Chica  (Read 845869 times)

Offline ThatOldJanxSpirit

• Liked: 1098
  • Likes Given: 2424

Offline Modiseus

• Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 20

Online darkenfast

• Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 6803
Re: Starship Manufacturing Facility in Boca Chica
« Reply #1782 on: 01/30/2022 02:45 pm »
Regarding the Wide Bay, as of 30 January, 2022: As we watch the pieces of the Wide Bay being built and lifted, I've been getting curious about just how high this one is going to be. From Elon, a while back, we have the hint: Just a little higher than the High Bay. Just for guesstimating (since they are right next to each other), the High Bay appears to be "about" 4 1/2 "sections" tall. I'm using "section" for the pieces that they are craning into place. I think we have at least a week before they finish assembling the 4th level section that they just lifted the first two pieces of, after which we'll see pieces of the final level being built next to the Bay.

What say ye, O forum experts? 4 1/2-ish? Maybe five full sections? What sort of "just a little higher" do they need? While I don't see any hints of the Boosters getting taller at this point, I DO seem to remember they cut it a little close when they finished the two previous versions.

Just wondering, while we wait.
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline Okie_Steve

• Oklahoma, USA
  • Liked: 1041
  • Likes Given: 671
« Reply #1783 on: 01/30/2022 02:58 pm »
A Ship stretch seems pretty certain given the added engines and things Musk has said. I wonder how that will fit in the "old" mid and high bays once it happens. Maybe dedicated ship and booster bays in the future? Nobody has been talking about a booster stretch that I know of but I too am curious about how much higher the new bays will be.

Offline Okie_Steve

• Oklahoma, USA
« Reply #1784 on: 01/30/2022 03:14 pm »

RGV Aerial Photography January 14th fly over and January 26th ground images. Apparently the weather has not cooperated recently  ::)

Offline DanClemmensen

• California
  • Liked: 1919
  • Likes Given: 751
« Reply #1785 on: 01/30/2022 03:18 pm »
A Ship stretch seems pretty certain given the added engines and things Musk has said. I wonder how that will fit in the "old" mid and high bays once it happens. Maybe dedicated ship and booster bays in the future? Nobody has been talking about a booster stretch that I know of but I too am curious about how much higher the new bays will be.
A booster stretch would require a modification to Mechazilla: the QD arm for the SS would need to be raised.

Surely the High Bay will be tall enough for a stretched SS. The current SS is 50 m. The current SH is 70 m

The total number of SH will always be a small percentage of the number of SS. SpaceX will need one SH per Mechazilla, plus a backup per launch site, plus the initial expended launch test items, plus any replacements: less than ten total. From a production standpoint I think a dedicated SH assembly building would be idle much of the time. They could have a single dual-use SH/SS bay, and the remaining bays can be SS-only.

Offline Okie_Steve

• Oklahoma, USA
« Reply #1786 on: 01/30/2022 04:09 pm »
<snip>

A booster stretch would require a modification to Mechazilla: the QD arm for the SS would need to be raised.

Surely the High Bay will be tall enough for a stretched SS. The current SS is 50 m. The current SH is 70 m

The total number of SH will always be a small percentage of the number of SS. SpaceX will need one SH per Mechazilla, plus a backup per launch site, plus the initial expended launch test items, plus any replacements: less than ten total. From a production standpoint I think a dedicated SH assembly building would be idle much of the time. They could have a single dual-use SH/SS bay, and the remaining bays can be SS-only.

That all makes sense. I was mainly thinking about the mid bay vs ship stretch issues and as others have observed that a bit more head room for the boosters would probably be handy. Given the early focus on the ship and relatively late appearance of the booster, did the booster grow a ring or two from when the original high bay was designed? Maybe with the swap of the propellant tanks after Booster 1? The current tight fit has puzzled me.
« Last Edit: 01/30/2022 07:22 pm by Okie_Steve »

Offline vaporcobra

• Tacoma, WA
  • Liked: 7489
  • Likes Given: 8646
« Reply #1787 on: 01/30/2022 08:54 pm »
Regarding the Wide Bay, as of 30 January, 2022: As we watch the pieces of the Wide Bay being built and lifted, I've been getting curious about just how high this one is going to be.

What say ye, O forum experts? 4 1/2-ish? Maybe five full sections? What sort of "just a little higher" do they need? While I don't see any hints of the Boosters getting taller at this point, I DO seem to remember they cut it a little close when they finished the two previous versions.

I don't think we have any official or unofficial word aside from it being taller than the high bay. But we'll likely find out as early as this week whether it's 4.5 or 5+ as prefab work starts on the next sections!

Offline DanClemmensen

• California
  • Liked: 1919
  • Likes Given: 751
« Reply #1788 on: 01/30/2022 09:27 pm »
Regarding the Wide Bay, as of 30 January, 2022: As we watch the pieces of the Wide Bay being built and lifted, I've been getting curious about just how high this one is going to be. From Elon, a while back, we have the hint: Just a little higher than the High Bay. Just for guesstimating (since they are right next to each other), the High Bay appears to be "about" 4 1/2 "sections" tall. I'm using "section" for the pieces that they are craning into place. I think we have at least a week before they finish assembling the 4th level section that they just lifted the first two pieces of, after which we'll see pieces of the final level being built next to the Bay.

How do you count the restaurant on the top "floor" of the high bay? If the new bay is the same height as the high bay but without a restaurant, the actual bay inside the building would be higher.

Online Nevyn72

• Australia
  • Liked: 973
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #1789 on: 01/30/2022 09:45 pm »
Regarding the Wide Bay, as of 30 January, 2022: As we watch the pieces of the Wide Bay being built and lifted, I've been getting curious about just how high this one is going to be.

I don't think we have any official or unofficial word aside from it being taller than the high bay. But we'll likely find out as early as this week whether it's 4.5 or 5+ as prefab work starts on the next sections!

Given they have been assembled differently, are we even certain that each vertical 'section' is the same height as the highbay sections?

Offline vaporcobra

• Tacoma, WA
  • Liked: 7489
  • Likes Given: 8646
« Reply #1790 on: 01/31/2022 12:01 am »

Given they have been assembled differently, are we even certain that each vertical 'section' is the same height as the highbay sections?

There are tons of photos available. Each wide bay level is either identical or very similar in size to the high bay's. What we don't know is if it will also have offices or a bar at the top - my money's on nothing more than the bridge cranes.
« Last Edit: 01/31/2022 12:01 am by vaporcobra »

Online darkenfast

• Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 6803
« Reply #1791 on: 01/31/2022 12:31 am »

How do you count the restaurant on the top "floor" of the high bay? If the new bay is the same height as the high bay but without a restaurant, the actual bay inside the building would be higher.

The bar/restaurant (or whatever it ends up actually being) doesn't affect the height of the High Bay, because the two "rooms" are separated by the bridge crane, which is right at the top of the structure. Those two rooms are off to the sides in areas where the crane doesn't traverse to. 
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline Okie_Steve

• Oklahoma, USA
« Reply #1792 on: 02/01/2022 02:43 pm »
This screen shot from the RGV Aerial Photography January 14th fly over is now 2 week old and we know the dirt work on the right side at the corner of Remedios is for the new and improved Olympus Mons Mons AirStream park at that location. What about the dirt work on the left side? All I have heard is that the hydraulic press tent was being disassembled/moved.

Eye balling the outline, it looks like they could install another large assembly tent, but that would require removing even more stuff. Has anyone got more information about what has been going on there since the picture and/or what is planned?

Offline Nomadd

• Highway Whatever
  • Liked: 57195
  • Likes Given: 1104
« Reply #1793 on: 02/03/2022 02:00 am »
 A little more boring electrical detail. It looks like they're keeping the new lines underground on the island. (The last couple of miles before the production site)
 Big concrete vaults and 4" SCH80 high voltage conduit.
 My experience in the field is pretty much none, but I've seen underground 65kv and never 130kv, so Baking might be right.
« Last Edit: 02/03/2022 02:10 am by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline MTom

• EU / Hungary
  • Liked: 340
  • Likes Given: 981
« Reply #1794 on: 02/03/2022 06:32 am »

Not correct. The bridge crane in the high bay is placed between the two restaurant rooms. There are two traverse structure there too.
The new wide (high) bay will have full span crane bridge. The building has to be definitive higher for this crane.
« Last Edit: 02/03/2022 11:47 am by MTom »

Offline danneely

• Johnstown, PA, USA
  • Liked: 384
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #1795 on: 02/03/2022 11:38 am »
<snip>

That all makes sense. I was mainly thinking about the mid bay vs ship stretch issues and as others have observed that a bit more head room for the boosters would probably be handy. Given the early focus on the ship and relatively late appearance of the booster, did the booster grow a ring or two from when the original high bay was designed? Maybe with the swap of the propellant tanks after Booster 1? The current tight fit has puzzled me.

The only height change I'm aware of being disclosed publicly is it loosing a half right of height because removing a half ring needed to make it an even number of meters tall simplified manufacturing.

Offline samgineer

• Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 312
« Reply #1796 on: 02/03/2022 11:58 am »
A little more boring electrical detail. It looks like they're keeping the new lines underground on the island. (The last couple of miles before the production site)
 My experience in the field is pretty much none, but I've seen underground 65kv and never 130kv, so Baking might be right.

Undergoud power lines are usually constructed up-to 500 kV and usually itīs combo of 1 HDPE conduit per 1 PVC coated cable, so 3 conduits and three cables for three phase line. It seems they are not building 1 conduit 3 phase cable (up to 100 kV usually) as they have 3 spools of HDPE pipe at each site.

Offline Nomadd

• Highway Whatever
« Reply #1797 on: 02/03/2022 03:21 pm »

Undergoud power lines are usually constructed up-to 500 kV and usually itīs combo of 1 HDPE conduit per 1 PVC coated cable, so 3 conduits and three cables for three phase line. It seems they are not building 1 conduit 3 phase cable (up to 100 kV usually) as they have 3 spools of HDPE pipe at each site.
Most of the vaults don't have any spools laying there yet  but stuff is still coming in. And who knows how much future expansion capability they're building in?

Some pretty high ranking people still aren't too sure how things will be in two years. This whole project seems like it isn't so much planned and excecuted as it's a living thing. Even the bosses are kind of just waiting to see what it grows into.
« Last Edit: 02/03/2022 03:27 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Nomadd

• Highway Whatever
« Reply #1798 on: 02/03/2022 05:18 pm »
 Guess that settles that question.

Offline Nomadd

• Highway Whatever
« Reply #1799 on: 02/06/2022 03:52 pm »
 While everybody is watching B4, they're sneaking a giant yellow thing into the build site.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography