Author Topic: ARCA  (Read 88088 times)

Online Welsh Dragon

• Liked: 1003
  • Likes Given: 114
Re: ARCA
« Reply #300 on: 07/20/2022 11:02 pm »
I honestly can't tell is that is satire or an actual plan. Which tells you all you need to know about Arca. The copy of the Kerbal Advanced Grabbing Unit on top is a particularly nice touch.

Offline trimeta

• Kansas City, MO
  • Liked: 1546
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #301 on: 07/20/2022 11:20 pm »
Speaking of KSP, the Kerbal Engineering Systems Twitter account has a great thread going into more detail about ARCA's plans. Here's an unrolled page, or you can start from the first tweet below.

https://twitter.com/KerbalSystems/status/1549794093068271621

Offline rubicondsrv

• Liked: 199
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #302 on: 07/20/2022 11:33 pm »
I honestly can't tell is that is satire or an actual plan. Which tells you all you need to know about Arca. The copy of the Kerbal Advanced Grabbing Unit on top is a particularly nice touch.

Have we figured out why they are so big on steam rockets?
Did they get in trouble with some sort of propellant spill so just decided not to bother with combustion anymore?

Offline trimeta

• Kansas City, MO
  • Liked: 1546
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #303 on: 07/21/2022 12:11 am »

Have we figured out why they are so big on steam rockets?
Did they get in trouble with some sort of propellant spill so just decided not to bother with combustion anymore?

I assume they don't have the technical capability to handle any cryogenics (so no LOX), and can't get access to anything more energetic than boiling water (yes, that includes hydrogen peroxide, which they also can't source in large enough quantities).

Offline xyv

• South of Vandenberg
  • Liked: 315
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #304 on: 07/21/2022 01:16 am »
My first reaction was - that wouldn't even work in Kerbal.  We need some kind of shorthand for this kind of complete insanity.  Say...WEWIK..."wouldn't even work in Kerbal" to laugh (at these fools) or cry (about the scam...).

I have to say that when I see the ARCA thead pop to the top with the "new" hot button lit, it makes my day.  The entertainment value of these guys just never quits.

:D :D :D
« Last Edit: 07/21/2022 01:17 am by xyv »

Offline groundbound

• Liked: 404
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #305 on: 07/21/2022 01:43 am »
What about this was supposed to be Eco exactly? Assuming a 90% mass fraction, they're throwing away more aluminium per launch than other rockets use propellant.

That's the best part, all of the cores used in the first two stages are reusable! Truly, their 96% reusable vehicle will be revolutionary! Insofar as its success would overthrow multiple laws of physics.

I think you're overstating the number of their problems. They really only have a single problem to solve and everything will work perfectly.

They just need to get a 4-digit ISP from steam and everything else comes together. Easy Peasy!!!    ;D

Offline rubicondsrv

• Liked: 199
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #306 on: 07/21/2022 02:01 am »
I assume they don't have the technical capability to handle any cryogenics (so no LOX), and can't get access to anything more energetic than boiling water (yes, that includes hydrogen peroxide, which they also can't source in large enough quantities).

that begs the question of who is building their hardware then. if they can build the plumbing and pressure vessels needed to make these wacky steam rockets fly in a controlled manner they should be able to figure out propellant handling.   

it is just really weird, on one hand you have these steam rocket things and test stands that are reasonably well built even if they make no sense, on the other is a really odd choice not to use more conventional propellants. HTP is a bit odd too considering its handling challenges are in some respect worse than hypergols. 

Offline GWH

• Canada
  • Liked: 1681
  • Likes Given: 1084
« Reply #307 on: 07/21/2022 02:59 am »
Their website now declares them as a non-profit.

So technically they don't belong in the commercial space category?

Also I guess that means anyone who was an "investor" is now just a donor. Nothing about that that's a scam  ::)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 3458
  • Likes Given: 2741
« Reply #308 on: 07/21/2022 03:25 am »
Maybe this thread should be better suited to the Space Entertainment thread in General Space.
Tony De La Rosa

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 785
  • Likes Given: 491
« Reply #309 on: 07/21/2022 05:07 am »
Maybe this thread should be better suited to the Space Entertainment thread in General Space.

If you're suggesting that, then these guys would need to go first: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=56168.0

I know crypto investment schemes are a joke, but it's hardly a fair comparison is it?

I vote for a Comedy Space thread!  ;D

« Last Edit: 07/21/2022 05:12 am by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline soyuzu

• Liked: 347
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #310 on: 07/21/2022 05:20 am »
Page 28

Tim Dodd produced a pretty good video and article, but we definitely don’t agree with his approach based on numbers that are purposefully put forward and saying: “Yes, rockets do pollute, but the amount of pollutants emitted by the rockets is so tiny. This isn’t that bad. There are worse things in the world that pollute more.”
We respectfully disagree with the way Tim defends this heavily polluting industry by putting forward numbers that makes the problem look insignificant. We understand that Tim’s followers are in their vast majority SpaceX’s fans and we respect this. We respect the company, Elon Musk, his achievements and his fans, and we respect Tim. But we can’t agree with his conclusions. Saying: “Yes, rockets pollute, but compared to other industries it isn’t that bad”, is fundamentally wrong. It creates a precedent to treat other polluting industries in similar ways. Where is the point at which the interest to reduce the polluting sources starts and where it ends? Why wouldn’t the aviation industry say the same about themselves? Tim is mentioning that: “CO2 emissions from the airline industry were only 2.4% of global CO2 emissions!!!”, meaning it is a small percentage. OK, then, if this is also small, probably we shouldn’t look into this either? It is a completely wrong and dangerous approach. The space industry is one of the leading technological areas of human civilisation, and an example of pollution reduction from this direction could become a leading example for many other human activities.

Scott Manley, a famous YouTube personality, tarnished the idea of the ecological rocket in a dedicated video that gathered half a million views. This affected us quite heavily, but this wasn’t the worst thing. Various venture capital investors who saw the video mentioned that they can’t invest in ARCA because the idea was trashed in the media, citing Scott Manley’s video. ARCA Space: AMi Exploration Program

Let’s consider the engineering marvel that is the SpaceX’s Starship/Super Heavy project, a reusable launch vehicle that is also using decades old technologies. It is a typical case of an innovative design concept that aim to a dramatic launch cost reduction, even if the technology is that old. But it has a problem: the huge development cost. As we saw, traditional technology is insanely expensive and using it today will do nothing more that perpetuate the culture of excessive costs for space technology. So, we are skeptical that we are going to see a radical launch cost reduction with the Starship/Super Heavy project, even if SpaceX is promoting this.

OMG the entertaining effect is surely overwhelming

« Last Edit: 07/21/2022 05:24 am by soyuzu »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #311 on: 07/21/2022 05:22 am »

If you're suggesting that, then these guys would need to go first: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=56168.0

I know crypto investment schemes are a joke, but it's hardly a fair comparison is it?

Yes, or Fake Space thread   ;D

« Last Edit: 07/21/2022 05:23 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 785
  • Likes Given: 491
« Reply #312 on: 07/21/2022 07:29 am »

Pseudo-Space??  (Until Demonstrated Otherwise..)

After all, it's not really Paper Space.. that'd be the companion thread for the ones in this section of the forum that don't ever get off of the drawing board.

« Last Edit: 07/21/2022 07:34 am by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #313 on: 07/21/2022 08:23 am »

After all, it's not really Paper Space.. that'd be the companion thread for the ones in this section of the forum that don't ever get off of the drawing board.

We can continue to have fun with this and detail this tread. Let's just leave it to the thread author
Steven Pietrobon decided for us.
Tony De La Rosa

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #314 on: 07/21/2022 10:18 am »

As Cameron said got give them credit for placing g working HW on test stand which is lot more than most LV startups achieve.
« Last Edit: 07/22/2022 03:25 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #315 on: 07/21/2022 12:27 pm »
Let's continue the show...

AMi Exploration Mission Profile

This video shows a typical AMi asteroid mining mission profile involving the EcoRocket Heavy and AMi Cargo.

Tony De La Rosa

Online Welsh Dragon

• Liked: 1003
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #316 on: 07/21/2022 02:32 pm »
I have every faith they will make their balloon launched rocket supersonic seaplane launched rocket steam powered rocket* work.

*To be updated for next iteration.
I have every faith they will make their balloon launched rocket supersonic seaplane launched rocket steam powered OTRAG clone launched asteroid mining plan work.

Updated as promised.

Online edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 6449
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #317 on: 07/21/2022 02:42 pm »
At this point attaching the balloons again would increase credibility. At least that has a chance of TWR above unity!

Online libra

• Liked: 1155
  • Likes Given: 2290
« Reply #318 on: 07/21/2022 03:00 pm »
That ARCA scam is more and more otrageous with every day...

Offline Mandella

• Liked: 765
  • Likes Given: 2017
« Reply #319 on: 07/21/2022 04:46 pm »

that begs the question of who is building their hardware then. if they can build the plumbing and pressure vessels needed to make these wacky steam rockets fly in a controlled manner they should be able to figure out propellant handling.   

it is just really weird, on one hand you have these steam rocket things and test stands that are reasonably well built even if they make no sense, on the other is a really odd choice not to use more conventional propellants. HTP is a bit odd too considering its handling challenges are in some respect worse than hypergols.

From their point of view, ecology. Regular pollutants are highly polluting, so let's go with steam!

Which would be fine and all if steam would work as an orbital class propellant, but little details like that are beneath the grand concept...

Which is at this point apparently fleecing crypto bros of any remaining capital...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography