Author Topic: Understanding SLS cost (2020 budget request)  (Read 1024 times)

Offline MoaMem

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Understanding SLS cost (2020 budget request)
« on: 04/08/2019 04:59 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to understand the cost of SLS based of the FY 2020 budget request :

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/fy_2020_congressional_justification.pdf

But I'm having some issues reading the different tabs and understanding some basic stuff :

1) I guess that even if an amount is appropriated it doesn't mean is has been spent (this is just my guess), so how do I find the amount actually spent?

2) On the budget request there are 2 tabs with 2 different amounts (actually more but I'll get to that), so what's the difference between the tab in page DEXP-22

and the one in page DEXP-24?

3) On the second tab the one in page DEXP-24 there are 2 lines :

one called "2019 MPAR LCC Estimate" and the other one called "Total Budget". What's the difference between the two?

4) What are the items related to SLS in the budget request? I count CREW VEHICLE DEVELOPMENT (page DEXP-8), SPACE LAUNCH SYSTEM (DEXP-22) and EXPLORATION GROUND SYSTEMS (DEXP-37). Anything else? anything redundant? Anything that should be excluded?

Thanks guys.

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 3330
  • Likes Given: 4549
Re: Understanding SLS cost (2020 budget request)
« Reply #1 on: 04/08/2019 05:33 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to understand the cost of SLS based of the FY 2020 budget request :

You can't estimate the real cost of any government program based on a fiscal budget request years after the program has started. That's because Presidential budget requests are just that - requests. You have to look at the funding legislation.

If you want a starting point for finding out SLS program costs I'd start with the Wikipedia page for it.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Online ncb1397

• Liked: 650
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: 04/08/2019 06:58 am »
one called "2019 MPAR LCC Estimate" and the other one called "Total Budget". What's the difference between the two?

You might have missed the part that said:

The difference between the total budget and the MPAR LCC estimate is the total budget includes content outside of EM-1 and excludes CoF; LCC only includes EM-1 content, including CoF.

Offline MoaMem

« Reply #3 on: 04/08/2019 10:55 am »
You can't estimate the real cost of any government program based on a fiscal budget request years after the program has started. That's because Presidential budget requests are just that - requests. You have to look at the funding legislation.

If you want a starting point for finding out SLS program costs I'd start with the Wikipedia page for it.

Already looked at wikipedia but the source for the figures showed there are huge and unreadable.

I was trying to estimate up to last year, those numbers should work, right?

Offline MoaMem

« Reply #4 on: 04/08/2019 11:07 am »
You might have missed the part that said:

The difference between the total budget and the MPAR LCC estimate is the total budget includes content outside of EM-1 and excludes CoF; LCC only includes EM-1 content, including CoF.

I've seen that. It doesn't clarify anything. It seems both are non exhaustive.

The total budget excludes CoF (construction of facilities) is that the same as Exploration ground equipment in page DEXP-36? What does it refer to?
It includes content outside EM-1, meaning what exactly?

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 1307
  • Likes Given: 786
« Reply #5 on: 04/08/2019 12:13 pm »
Already looked at wikipedia but the source for the figures showed there are huge and unreadable.

Huge, as in an awful lot of money?  Yes, that's correct.... :(

Another source of information about SLS's costs is Robert Zimmerman's white paper, "Capitalism in Space" (attached to this post).  There is a lot of bombast, but at heart it's about the costs of Orion and SLS.  See Table 2, in particular.  If you don't find Zimmerman's numbers themselves adequate, he does provide references for each one.
« Last Edit: 04/08/2019 12:14 pm by Proponent »

Offline jstrotha0975

• United States
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #6 on: 04/08/2019 06:46 pm »
Nobody can guess the cost of the SLS, not even the government because they threw it all together with other programs.

Tags: