Author Topic: Lessons from Apollo 7  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Dobbins

• Propellerhead
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
John B. Dobbins

Offline Naraht

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 0
RE: Lessons from Apollo 7
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2006 02:35 PM »
As I said on another forum, I still think the main lesson of Apollo 7 was "don't talk back to the flight director". ;)

Offline HarryM

• California
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Lessons from Apollo 7
« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2006 04:26 PM »
Sucks for Cunningham and Eisele they let themselves get dragged down by the "grumpy old man".

I think the lessons from the flight is that on a long-duration shake-down flight you should put a more technical-minded crew aboard, like Apollo 9's.

Overall, I would say it is as the article, "don't give up". They turned a lemon into a great space vehicle, they didn't throw up their arms and walk away or start over, it takes perseverance and patience.

Offline mkirk

• International Man Of Mystery
  • Florida/Texas
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #3 on: 10/11/2006 07:27 PM »
HarryM - 11/10/2006  11:09 AM

I think the lessons from the flight is that on a long-duration shake-down flight you should put a more technical-minded crew aboard, like Apollo 9's.

That is arguably what caused some of the problems.  Wally and his crew were certainly technically oriented and wanted a pure test flight.  It was the last minute additions to the flight plan (both prior to launch and during the actual flight) that he (Wally) considered to be distractions from the stated purpose of checking out the spacecraft.

Over the years I have had the opportunity to ask Kraft, Kranz, and Schirra about this and everyone them had valid points.  Both sides acted inappropriately at times during the flight and were seemingly unsympathetic to the others needs and circumstances.

One of the lessons taken away from the flight was the importance of communication between the ground and flight crew and the integration of both into a cohesive team.  Also, lines of authority were further defined/refined and incorporated into the Mission Rules (now called Flight Rules) with particular emphasis on the roles of the Commander and Flight Director.

Mark Kirkman
Mark Kirkman

Offline HarryM

• California
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #4 on: 10/11/2006 08:15 PM »
It's too bad, as they accomplished almost all their goals, IIRC, like last Skylab flight, also blacklisted. Interesting info, thanks.

Tags: