Author Topic: NASA set to purchase more Soyuz seats to ensure uninterrupted access to the ISS  (Read 3638 times)

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 6314
  • Likes Given: 755
To clarify which missions and seats we're talking about:

The Fall 2019 seat would come from Soyuz MS-15 and would be taken from the spaceflight participant who currently occupies the third seat on that mission.

The Spring 2020 seat would come from Soyuz MS-16 and would be the currently unoccupied, vacant third seat on that mission.
« Last Edit: 02/15/2019 02:09 pm by ChrisGebhardt »

Online Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 667
  • Likes Given: 250
The Fall 2019 seat would come from Soyuz MS-15 and would be taken from the spaceflight participant who currently occupies the third seat on that mission.
Are you sure about this?

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 3139
  • Likes Given: 8760
Called this a couple of years ago... :(
« Last Edit: 02/16/2019 01:09 am by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 154
  • Likes Given: 125
If I understand the contracts between Roskosmos and Energia there is indication of how many spare seats are available?

Currently the contracts show:-

Союз МС-10 (№740) - 2 комплекта - 1 spare seat?
Союз МС-11 (№741) - 1 комплект - 2 spare seats?
Союз МС-12 (№742) - 2 комплекта - 1 spare seat?
Союз МС-14 (№743) - 1 комплект - 2 spare seats?
Союз МС-15 (№744) - 2 комплекта - 1 spare seat?
Союз МС-16 (№745) - 1 комплект - 2 spare seats?
Союз МС-17 (№747) - 3 комплекта
Союз МС-18 (№748) - 3 комплекта
Союз МС-19 (№749) - 3 комплекта
Союз МС-20 (№750) - 3 комплекта

Details:-
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39741.0

There is no reference to Soyuz-MS №746.

What is confusing, is that Soyuz MS-14 (№743) is to be launched without crew. I guess the contracts will be amended in the future, and could explain the absence of №746.

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 1298
  • Likes Given: 1237
(From Commercial Crew Schedule Analysis thread)

I see in the news this:
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2019/02/nasa-soyuz-seats-uninterrupted-access-iss/

From the outside, it seems that NASA would rather buy launches from the Russians. If SpaceX and Boeing had to go through the same safety validation process that Soyuz went through, how long ago could they have been launching?
To be fair, the "same safety validation process that Soyuz went through" would require SpaceX and Boeing to have a lot of successful crewed launches under their belts.  They don't, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Offline zodiacchris

• Port Macquarie, Australia
  • Liked: 345
  • Likes Given: 383
Maybe drilling a hole in the crew Dragon thatís been sitting in Florida for the last three months waiting for NASA would bring it on par with a Soyus and speed up the qualification process?

Frankly, my dear, I donít give a damn...

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 405
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&tab=core&id=623824de4ca36a33ca5242b2acee79e5
NASA is considering contracting with the State Space Corporation "Roscosmos" for these services on a sole source basis for two (2) Soyuz seats and associated services to the International Space Station (ISS) on the Russian Soyuz spacecraft vehicle. This transportation would be for one crewmember in the Fall of 2019 and one crewmember in the Spring of 2020.

I wonder if NASA & Roscosmos could barder for UAE seat & put them put on a commercial crew vehicle?

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&tab=core&id=623824de4ca36a33ca5242b2acee79e5
NASA is considering contracting with the State Space Corporation "Roscosmos" for these services on a sole source basis for two (2) Soyuz seats and associated services to the International Space Station (ISS) on the Russian Soyuz spacecraft vehicle. This transportation would be for one crewmember in the Fall of 2019 and one crewmember in the Spring of 2020.

I wonder if NASA & Roscosmos could barder for UAE seat & put them put on a commercial crew vehicle?

NASA has zero - absolutely none - interesting in having people pay them for seats for spaceflights to the ISS.  And since NASA is paying SpaceX and Boeing for the seats on Dragon and Starliner, a spaceflight participant is not going to happen.

EDIT (to add): Roscosmos spaceflight participants are always "if no other need for that seat arises" scenarios.  The paying UAE citizen will be bumped to a later flight if/when this purchase agreement goes through.
« Last Edit: 02/15/2019 09:40 pm by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU

What is confusing, is that Soyuz MS-14 (№743) is to be launched without crew. I guess the contracts will be amended in the future, and could explain the absence of №746.

Soyuz MS-14 is a planned - and somewhat mandated - uncrewed, cargo-carrying Soyuz mission to ISS to validated the Soyuz crew craft's abort and flight systems flying on a Soyuz 2.1a rocket for the first time.
« Last Edit: 02/15/2019 09:44 pm by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline cd-slam

• Singapore
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 72
This news has me scratching my head. As I understood it, there is already an American training for Soyuz MS-15, Chris Cassidy. His flight was to be bartered for a Russian seat on a Commercial crew flight. If this Commercial Crew flight won't be ready in time, I could understand why NASA would pay for the flight, but not why Al Mansouri has to be dropped.

Paying for a seat on the April 2020 flight makes even less sense. Yes there is an empty seat but why should NASA have to pay for it? Commercial crew basically HAS to be ready by then since only two Soyuz flights are planned for 2020. What happens to the Russian seat on the Commercial crew flight in this case?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Online Roy_H

• Liked: 337
  • Likes Given: 2107
I have been reading remarks like "Boeing has no chance of launching crew in August" with suggestions it would more likely be end of year. However I haven't gotten the impression that the uncrewed OFT would slip that much. I don't see the argument for a longer time between OFT and CFT. SpaceX may fly both DM1 and DM2 this year, but unlikely a crewed mission, so from Space pov a seat on this fall Soyuz is necessary, but Boeing Starliner CFT is expected to become a full duration crew flight and remain docked for the typical 6 month duration. So the need for these contingency seats is entirely dependent on Boeing.

Point of interest, if Starliner CFT arrives at the ISS before Dragon DM2 (almost a certainty at this point) and Starliner remains docked, for full mission duration but DM2 stays for just a few days, then who gets to take home the flag? First one back or first one there?
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8563
  • Likes Given: 6978
Point of interest, if Starliner CFT arrives at the ISS before Dragon DM2 (almost a certainty at this point) and Starliner remains docked, for full mission duration but DM2 stays for just a few days, then who gets to take home the flag? First one back or first one there?
Why is that almost a certainty? Maybe you could share your thoughts at the schedule analysis thread.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=37802
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1473
  • Likes Given: 889

NASA has zero - absolutely none - interesting in having people pay them for seats for spaceflights to the ISS.  And since NASA is paying SpaceX and Boeing for the seats on Dragon and Starliner, a spaceflight participant is not going to happen.

EDIT (to add): Roscosmos spaceflight participants are always "if no other need for that seat arises" scenarios.  The paying UAE citizen will be bumped to a later flight if/when this purchase agreement goes through.

There has been talks of NASA allowing commercial crew companies to sell the 5th seat on the commercial crew flights to the ISS. It was discussed by Phil McAlister at the last NAC HEO meeting. There would be a fee for the spaceflight participant's stay at the ISS but the amount of that fee has yet to be established (the fee for staying at the ISS was discussed by Kathryn Lueders at the next to last HEO NAC meeting).
« Last Edit: 02/16/2019 03:54 am by yg1968 »

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2755
  • Likes Given: 1
>
SpaceX may fly both DM1 and DM2 this year, but unlikely a crewed mission,
>

DM-2 is by definition a crewed mission, or are you talking about a PCM (Post Certification Mission)?
DM

Online daedalus1

• uk
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 0
A roundup of manned spaceflight,
The most powerful and richest nation on earth after landing people on the moon and launching the most sophisticated and largest spacecraft (shuttle), cannot on launch people into low earth orbit on a capsule.
Russia having put the first human into orbit more than half a century ago is still using 1960's design.
China, the second largest economy on earth has flown crew a handful of times in more than a decade. Using a copy of the old Soviet design.
The EU (ESA), doesn't have any manned spacecraft.
It is dismal.

Offline bulkmail

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 5

I think it's logical the first one up gets the flag.

What happened with the aborted seat in Soyuz MS-10? Will Roscosmos/Energia compensate Boeing/NASA for it?

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 6169
  • Likes Given: 2085
The most powerful and richest nation on earth after landing people on the moon and launching the most sophisticated and largest spacecraft (shuttle), cannot on launch people into low earth orbit on a capsule.
Russia having put the first human into orbit more than half a century ago is still using 1960's design.
China, the second largest economy on earth has flown crew a handful of times in more than a decade. Using a copy of the old Soviet design.
It is dismal.

Emphasis mine.

That's by ESA's own choice.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 4609
  • Likes Given: 2768
It is dismal.

Emphasis mine.

That's by ESA's own choice.

How is that different than the others? Were China and Russia forced into their current situations? ALL countries situation regarding manned spaceflight is by their own choices and priorities.

Online Roy_H

• Liked: 337
  • Likes Given: 2107
>
SpaceX may fly both DM1 and DM2 this year, but unlikely a crewed mission,
>

DM-2 is by definition a crewed mission, or are you talking about a PCM (Post Certification Mission)?

Yes, I should have worded that better.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk

Tags: