Author Topic: SIAA Moon Treaty Forum  (Read 498 times)

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 6669
  • Likes Given: 918
SIAA Moon Treaty Forum
« on: 02/06/2019 02:24 am »
Space Industry Association of Australia (SIAA) Space Industry Forum

The Moon Treaty - what does it mean for the Australian Space Industry?

University of New South Wales (UNSW)
5:00 pm AEDT (0600 UTC) Thursday 7 February 2019
Level 1 Electrical Engineering Building (Building G17)
UNSW Kensington Campus

Livestream: https://zoom.us/wc/join/388715283?pwd=

Join our panel of Moon Treaty experts as we discuss this agreement - a UN space treaty that prohibits private ownership of extra-terrestrial property and requires an international regime for the safe and orderly development and management of the resources and sharing of the benefits. Although Australia signed this treaty, not all countries have done so what does this mean for the Australian Space Industry going forward? Join us as we explore this fascinating topic further.

Hosted by the UNSW and the SIAA, and moderated by Mr Michael Davis, our panel is comprised of some of the foremost experts on this topic in Australia:

Mr William (Bill) Barrett, Senior Vice President, Asia Pacific Aerospace Consultants (APAC)
Mr Duncan Blake, Space Law expert and SIAA Advisory Council
Professor Steven Freeland, Dean School of Law, Western Sydney University
Professor Serkan Saydam, Mining Expert, UNSW
The Hon Chris Schact, Senator and Commonwealth Minister
Ms Alex Seneta, Executive Director, Regulation and International Obligations, Australian Space Agency

This event is free, but registration is essential
« Last Edit: 02/06/2019 02:26 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 471
  • Likes Given: 344
Re: SIAA Moon Treaty Forum
« Reply #1 on: 02/07/2019 09:09 pm »
So, what happened Steven?  Did you go?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8400
  • Likes Given: 6728
« Reply #2 on: 02/07/2019 09:37 pm »
Since Australia is a signatory, this would be interesting to hear more about! 

Most countries are signatories to the Outer Space Treaty, but very few are of the Moon Treaty, to the point that Wikipedia calls it a "failed treaty", no country that can launch people (or is anywhere close) is a signatory at this time, and only 18 total as of this time last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Treaty
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 6669
  • Likes Given: 918
« Reply #3 on: 02/08/2019 05:29 am »
So, what happened Steven?  Did you go?

I didn't go, but I did try to watch the livestream. Unfortunately, they used Zoom which only works with Chrome, which I have no intention of installing just to make Google happy. They couldn't use YouTube as there was an Australian government representative present, who also prohibited uploading the event publicly.

From a prior event, the Australian government thinks the Moon Treaty is great and wants to encourage more countries to join! My opinion is that we should withdraw from the treaty.
« Last Edit: 02/08/2019 05:36 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8400
  • Likes Given: 6728
« Reply #4 on: 02/11/2019 06:48 pm »
From a prior event, the Australian government thinks the Moon Treaty is great and wants to encourage more countries to join! My opinion is that we should withdraw from the treaty.
I think there have been threads in Space Policy in the past on the topic of whether the Moon Treaty is good or not. I suspect you are not alone in your view that Australia should withdraw. I suspect many US space literate folk are happy we are not in it.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Tags: