Author Topic: RocketStar  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 6668
  • Likes Given: 914
RocketStar
« on: 01/19/2019 02:45 am »
With their announcement of the their first surborbital launch on 7 February at 9 am EST from Cape Canaveral, this one seems pretty well advanced. Here's the link to their website, choosing the unusual nyc (New York City) for their domain name type.

http://www.rocketstar.nyc

twitter.com/RocketStarSpace/status/1086311380767162369

It's official! Next stop: Space! Rocket: Cowbell Engine: Proprietary aerospike Planned altitude: 50 Miles Launch location: Barge launch, off Cape Canaveral

Their satellite launch vehicle is called Starlord with 300 kg to LEO and 150 kg to GEO according to their web site (they might mean 150 kg to GTO). Attached is their payload users guide. They are using pressure fed methalox with a 12 nozzle aerospike engine on the first stage. First and second stage thrust are 267 kN and 22 kN, respectively. Vehicle is 2.3 m diameter and 27.4 m long. They plan to use either LC-46 or an ocean going launch platform. Starlord payload users guide attached.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
Re: RocketStar
« Reply #1 on: 01/19/2019 02:53 am »
Here's an enhanced version of what is probably their suborbital vehicle. This vehicle has eight nozzles which show an unusual curved shape. The photo looks to be a photoshop, perhaps with LC-46 in the background. The vehicle is held by two giant carbon fibre clamps. At the top of the vehicle there looks to be a NASA logo.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #2 on: 01/19/2019 03:41 am »
Here's an enhanced version of what is probably their suborbital vehicle. This vehicle has eight nozzles which show an unusual curved shape. The photo looks to be a photoshop, perhaps with LC-46 in the background. The vehicle is held by two giant carbon fibre clamps. At the top of the vehicle there looks to be a NASA logo.

I'm pretty sure the clamps are taken from an image of Rocket Lab's pad, and the aerospike is a heavily distorted image of Firefly's aerospike render. I'm going to try to find the original images.

EDIT: Definitely Rocket Lab's launch clamps: https://www.rocketlabusa.com/assets/Uploads/Rocket-Lab-D800E-ABG8786.jpg

EDIT 2: Hard to tell from the distortions, but I think this is the aerospike picture.
« Last Edit: 01/19/2019 03:48 am by Gliderflyer »
I tried it at home

Offline ringsider

• Liked: 230
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #3 on: 01/19/2019 05:39 am »
Their Payload Users Guide is largely a cut and paste of the old Firefly Alpha PUG:-

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=33757.msg1405514.msg#1405514

Compare the section on payload environments, for example.
« Last Edit: 01/19/2019 05:42 am by ringsider »

Online Kryten

• Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #4 on: 01/19/2019 07:22 am »
Their Payload Users Guide is largely a cut and paste of the old Firefly Alpha PUG:-

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=33757.msg1405514.msg#1405514

Compare the section on payload environments, for example.
Wow, they even copied the figures wholesale.

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #5 on: 01/19/2019 03:29 pm »
 Tom Markusic owner of Firefly put this aerospike design in to hard basket and switched to conventional RP1 engine.
I wonder if people behind Rocketstar are from Firefly original development team

Offline DasBlinkenlight

• United States
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: 01/19/2019 03:52 pm »
Confidence is not inspired when their gallery page shows mainly model rocket launches... Not what I would look for in a commercial launch company.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #7 on: 01/20/2019 05:34 am »
EDIT 2: Hard to tell from the distortions, but I think this is the aerospike picture.

This picture has 12 nozzles. The RocketStar image has 8 nozzles, although their user guide says 12 nozzles!

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #8 on: 01/20/2019 05:47 am »

This picture has 12 nozzles. The RocketStar image has 8 nozzles, although their user guide says 12 nozzles!

I blame Photoshop. Both images have the blue ring around the nozzle, and if you zoom in, you can see the same cage-like throat saddle in the RocketStar image. It is pretty easy to take a screenshot of the CAD model, if they are taking other companies images and photoshopping them, it makes me wonder if they even have a preliminary design.
I tried it at home

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 7476
  • Likes Given: 2492
« Reply #9 on: 02/05/2019 02:06 pm »
https://twitter.com/RocketStarSpace/status/1092792510970281985

FAA backlog from the government shutdown has pushed our launch, scheduled for February 7, to later this month. Specific details will follow formal approval. 🚀⭐️ #RocketStar #aerospike #patienceisavirtue #CarpeAstra

Online Kryten

• Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #10 on: 02/07/2019 07:06 pm »
 I have been unable to find any FCC STA applications for Rocketstar. I doubt this launch is real, they haven't shown anything which would suggest they have the capability to perform any kind of near-space launch.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 3830
  • Likes Given: 2188
« Reply #11 on: 02/07/2019 07:49 pm »
Tom Markusic owner of Firefly put this aerospike design in to hard basket and switched to conventional RP1 engine.
I wonder if people behind Rocketstar are from Firefly original development team

Markusic/Firefly had legal issues with using the aerospike (he was working on it while still at a previous employer.)

Tags: