Author Topic: Was it a mistake for SpaceX not to partner with Greg Wyler and/or OneWeb?  (Read 4935 times)

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 829
  • Likes Given: 528
For my part, I can think of few things more boring than talking about something that's already been done.  Dang, that AT&T 4GLTE Network is really humming.  Woot!!!   ;)
I like your attitude, and your comment is fair enough, I get your point, just I never suggested we should discuss that. I agree with you, that particularly, is boring (there's this funny spot about 0.25mi from my house that drops to HSPA though, really weird, surrounded by LTE).

Cheers!!!  Definitely a fine line between silly speculation versus the great prospective speculation that makes this time so exciting.

I'm personally experiencing a little decompression sickness after the deep-dive we've had since Dec 16th or thereabouts.
« Last Edit: 01/15/2019 03:25 am by AC in NC »

Offline Elvis in Space

• Elvis is Everywhere
  • Still on Earth
  • Liked: 411
  • Likes Given: 2042
I learned a great deal from my father's business ineptitude. One big thing was don't take a partner if you can avoid it and definitely avoid anyone who doesn't share your own dream. This is how trouble begins and business ends. Elon has a very specific vision so I can't imagine any kind of pairing that would ever be successful.
Cheeseburgers on Mars!

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 5518
  • Likes Given: 940
I'll believe in one or both constellations when I actually see a full operational set whizzing around in orbit. So many topics are nothing more than how many angels dancing on a pin... Getting old, like Missouri, SHOW ME, then we can all have a lively discussion about something real.
There is no requirement that you believe in anything... 
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1862
  • Likes Given: 1910
My impression, Elon Musk was presented with Greg Wylers concept and saw potential to expand on it. Greg Wyler wanted to proceed with his concept and have Elon Musk provide money and launch services. That is not how Elon Musk works and was not going to happen.

My impression may be wrong.

Offline Aurora

• USA
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 29
Are we overstating the objective of Elon Musk?   Is he trying to better life on Earth?   or is he testing out the products/services required to colonize Mars?   These projects on Earth will develop the necessary services he will need on Mars, and generate the cash flow to fund the colonization of Mars.  Simple objective.   If he partners with someone, they must be aligned with his objective.

Starship/ Super Heavy Booster:   Transportation to/from Mars for Life forms and Cargo
Starlink:  Communication services on Mars
Tesla: Electric Cars / Trucks for localized transportation on Mars
Solar City:   For generation and storage of energy
The Boring Company: Potential tunnel structure for transportation on Mars - maybe for hyper loop transportation
AI:  To support life on Mars in harsh environments/tasks
Food:  Isn't his Brother working on hydroponic growth technologies, with could support oxygen generation / regeneration

He will still need more technologies to complete his baseline services required to colonize Mars . . . he has been making very good progress towards his goal.

Just my opinion based on observations.

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 731
Is he trying to better life on Earth?   or is he testing out the products/services required to colonize Mars?

Since about 2002, it has been dual-purpose for Musk.
« Last Edit: 01/18/2019 05:00 pm by Lar »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8396
  • Likes Given: 6725
Are we overstating the objective of Elon Musk?   Is he trying to better life on Earth?   or is he testing out the products/services required to colonize Mars? 
Why not both?

Only tangentially on topic, though. Starlink is both an important technology for Mars AND a money spinner in it's own right. Partnering with OneWeb might not be as lucrative and also might not yield as much tech spinoff either.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1767
  • Likes Given: 4546
Are we overstating the objective of Elon Musk?   Is he trying to better life on Earth?   or is he testing out the products/services required to colonize Mars?   ...

He will still need more technologies to complete his baseline services required to colonize Mars . . . he has been making very good progress towards his goal.

Just my opinion based on observations.
Musk has been very clear. On Earth we need to stop pumping greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere. And we should become multi-planetary to reduce existential risks and because that's more awesome than not being multi-planetary. So it's both.

And being a smart guy, he leverages solutions for one to assist the other.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline Tywin

Now with the contract of Telesat for the NG...SpaceX have the two competitors of Starlink, Oneweb and Telesat,  allied with her maximus competitor of launchers...Blue Origin...
« Last Edit: 01/31/2019 08:42 pm by Tywin »
The knowledge is power...
Everything is connected...

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 5518
  • Likes Given: 940
Now with the contract of Telesat for the NG...SpaceX have the two competitors of Starlink, Oneweb and Telesat,  allied with her maximus competitor of launchers...Blue Origin...
Same as in the car industry...
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 1495
  • Likes Given: 3868
Same as in the car industry...

From what is publicly known, both seem to not be competitive with SpaceX, in initial capability, potential capability once full deployed and cost. It would require technical failure and/or long delays on SpaceX part to loose this fight. Plus, there are lots of fanboys like me who would pay extra and accept less service for helping fund a settlement on Mars.

Tags: