Author Topic: Big Falcon Hopper onwards - Starship Hopper, Starship, Super Heavy Render thread  (Read 868786 times)

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2279
  • Likes Given: 2184
Just published by Hazegrayart:

You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline Zanzalur

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 32
A simple little cutaway drawing i made of Starship Mk1. Enjoy!

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81287
  • Likes Given: 36800
Visualisation of what we should be seeing in a few weeks. Dwarfing its ground equipment makes it look almost surreal:

https://twitter.com/rogerlewisholt/status/1189830738809688064

Cant wait to see this assembled at the launch site.
background Source photo credit @JaneidyEve

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81287
  • Likes Given: 36800
Don’t remember seeing these before:

https://twitter.com/human_mars/status/1190684541238820866

American aircraft interior designer Jim Murphy has made a concept for the interior of @SpaceX's #Starship with acceleration seats needed for takeoff and landing placed in individual cabins and acting as transformable beds: humanmars.net/2019/11/spacex…

Jim Murphy’s page is worth a look:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/83284997/Big-Falcon-Rocket

Offline Ace

• Going to Mars with SpaceX
  • Liked: 175
  • Likes Given: 88
Here are some images that are the result of a collaboration between myself and user @lamontagne -- who did all of the wonderful artwork. (Thanks again!)

My plan here was to come up with a realistic model that is motivated by SpaceX's stated goal of being able to send 100 people to Mars per flight. I had some ideas on how to make that work, and thought it would be interesting to visualize them. My approach includes a few things we've learned after 20 years of experience with people living on the International Space Station.

The design divides the living space into 7 decks, labeled A to G, from the bottom-up. There are two openings between decks, offset slightly from one deck to the next, to reduce the risk of accidents related to trying to "fly" through multiple decks while in zero-G. There are removable rails around the openings, to prevent accidental falls while on Earth or Mars. All decks have a 2.2m high living space, except Deck G, which is 2.16m high. The blue bars in some areas are examples of hand and foot holds, like they use on ISS.

The floors are shown with hexagonal tiles, to indicate a system that will allow wall partitions and other items to be attached or removed to meet the tastes and needs of passengers.

Deck A has the gym, an external airlock, some storage space, and a couple of toilets:

-- ISS found a need for 2+ hours of exercise per day to avoid bone and muscle loss. Multiplied by 100 people, that requires 10 exercise machines. Note that several of them are mounted on the walls.
-- Making full use of walls and ceilings for living space is a theme of this design, since there's no "down" in zero-G.
-- The airlock allows access to the outside of the ship during flight, in case of a need to make inspections or minor repairs, and to support landing in places without pre-existing ground infrastructure.

Decks B and C have passenger cabins and toilets:

-- 25 rooms on each deck, with 2 people per room
-- Rooms are separated by removable walls (shown installed in the Deck C rendering)
-- Walls will be removed during launch and landing (as shown in the Deck B rendering)
-- Groups traveling together may want to remove the wall between their adjoining cabins
-- Seats are positioned radially
-- The position / orientation of the seats can be changed automatically, with enough range of motion to account for the ship's direction vector change during EDL
-- After launch, the seats can be removed, disassembled, and stowed in the area on Deck A
-- Each passenger will have two pieces of carry-on luggage, 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.2m in size, 20 kg max
-- Carry-ons will be stored in the ceiling of each cabin
-- Cabins on the leeward side of the ship only will have small windows
-- Passengers sleep on the walls (in simple sleeping bags, as on ISS), to ease entry and exit while one or the other is asleep
-- Passengers will sleep in two shifts, to make more room available per person on non-cabin decks when people are awake

Deck D is the solar storm shelter and a single toilet:

-- Passenger's checked luggage is stored on the outside of the shelter, in a layer 0.7m thick
-- Each passenger will have 1.0m3 of checked luggage, in several pieces, weighing 250kg max
-- The inside of the storm shelter consists of a 12.5cm layer of water, packaged in plastic containers that can be removed
-- Water can be removed during the flight and used for cooking, and replaced after processing
-- The ship will have a closed-cycle water purification system, similar to ISS (including urine)
-- Some of the interior storage layer will also be available for food
-- During a solar storm, all 100 passengers will need to be in this area
-- By nature of its position, the shelter will also provide some additional shielding for the cabin areas

Deck E is the kitchen / galley:

-- Self-serve food area
-- Food storage and dispensing mechanisms will be loaded by the crew before each meal, to prevent hoarding and similar potential social problems
-- Several vertical posts are available in this area, as a place for people to be able to temporarily attach things they're holding to a fixed location (tables don't work in zero-G)

Decks F and G are lounge areas:

-- Removable walls here can be used to change the layout of these spaces to suit passenger preferences
-- Deck F has a few toilets
-- Large video monitors will be available in these areas for shared movie viewing and the like (everyone is also assumed to have their own personal laptop)
-- Both decks have a view through the large window on the leeward side of the ship

Comments and questions welcome!

Very well done, but as has been mentioned elsewhere, the radial seating layout doesn't work for launch and landing. Everyone's backs would need to be oriented towards the windward side of the ship to handle the g forces, squishy meatbags that we are.

Offline Ace

Very well done, but as has been mentioned elsewhere, the radial seating layout doesn't work for launch and landing. Everyone's backs would need to be oriented towards the windward side of the ship to handle the g forces, squishy meatbags that we are.

The idea here is that the seats can be removed after launch, then re-installed in a parallel configuration for EDL. Seats will also be able to change their orientation mechanically to some degree.

Offline eriblo

• Sweden
  • Liked: 1666
  • Likes Given: 269

The idea here is that the seats can be removed after launch, then re-installed in a parallel configuration for EDL. Seats will also be able to change their orientation mechanically to some degree.
But it will be a problem in the hopefully rare event of having to abort the ascent...

Offline Ace

But it will be a problem in the hopefully rare event of having to abort the ascent...

Removable walls and seats allow the seats to be organized in whichever orientation is best for a given phase of the mission. My expectation is that radial will work fine for launch and the Mars transfer burn, and that automated seat orientation changes will be enough to handle emergency abort. However, if a parallel orientation is better, they can be organized that way during launch as well as EDL.

Offline lamontagne

• Otterburn Park, Quebec,Canada
  • Liked: 3825
  • Likes Given: 715
Here is an example of alternate seating arrangement, if this proves to be more appropriate to the final Starship motion.
Still 50 seats per floor.  A bit more tiresome to reach your seat, rather like a crowded airplane, but could probably be improved by more detailed design work.  Shows the idea works, I hope.

Offline _MECO

• Central KY, USA
  • Liked: 775
  • Likes Given: 447

Removable walls and seats allow the seats to be organized in whichever orientation is best for a given phase of the mission. My expectation is that radial will work fine for launch and the Mars transfer burn, and that automated seat orientation changes will be enough to handle emergency abort. However, if a parallel orientation is better, they can be organized that way during launch as well as EDL.

If you're doing radial you should at least stagger the back row of seats by half a seat to give passengers a better view!

Offline _MECO

• Central KY, USA
  • Liked: 775
  • Likes Given: 447
I know this is a render thread but we're allowed to post our crappy doodles, right?

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
Here are some images that are the result of a collaboration between myself and user @lamontagne -- who did all of the wonderful artwork. (Thanks again!)

My plan here was to come up with a realistic model that is motivated by SpaceX's stated goal of being able to send 100 people to Mars per flight. I had some ideas on how to make that work, and thought it would be interesting to visualize them. My approach includes a few things we've learned after 20 years of experience with people living on the International Space Station.

The design divides the living space into 7 decks, labeled A to G, from the bottom-up. There are two openings between decks, offset slightly from one deck to the next, to reduce the risk of accidents related to trying to "fly" through multiple decks while in zero-G. There are removable rails around the openings, to prevent accidental falls while on Earth or Mars. All decks have a 2.2m high living space, except Deck G, which is 2.16m high. The blue bars in some areas are examples of hand and foot holds, like they use on ISS.

The floors are shown with hexagonal tiles, to indicate a system that will allow wall partitions and other items to be attached or removed to meet the tastes and needs of passengers.

Deck A has the gym, an external airlock, some storage space, and a couple of toilets:

-- ISS found a need for 2+ hours of exercise per day to avoid bone and muscle loss. Multiplied by 100 people, that requires 10 exercise machines. Note that several of them are mounted on the walls.
-- Making full use of walls and ceilings for living space is a theme of this design, since there's no "down" in zero-G.
-- The airlock allows access to the outside of the ship during flight, in case of a need to make inspections or minor repairs, and to support landing in places without pre-existing ground infrastructure.

Decks B and C have passenger cabins and toilets:

-- 25 rooms on each deck, with 2 people per room
-- Rooms are separated by removable walls (shown installed in the Deck C rendering)
-- Walls will be removed during launch and landing (as shown in the Deck B rendering)
-- Groups traveling together may want to remove the wall between their adjoining cabins
-- Seats are positioned radially
-- The position / orientation of the seats can be changed automatically, with enough range of motion to account for the ship's direction vector change during EDL
-- After launch, the seats can be removed, disassembled, and stowed in the area on Deck A
-- Each passenger will have two pieces of carry-on luggage, 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.2m in size, 20 kg max
-- Carry-ons will be stored in the ceiling of each cabin
-- Cabins on the leeward side of the ship only will have small windows
-- Passengers sleep on the walls (in simple sleeping bags, as on ISS), to ease entry and exit while one or the other is asleep
-- Passengers will sleep in two shifts, to make more room available per person on non-cabin decks when people are awake

Deck D is the solar storm shelter and a single toilet:

-- Passenger's checked luggage is stored on the outside of the shelter, in a layer 0.7m thick
-- Each passenger will have 1.0m3 of checked luggage, in several pieces, weighing 250kg max
-- The inside of the storm shelter consists of a 12.5cm layer of water, packaged in plastic containers that can be removed
-- Water can be removed during the flight and used for cooking, and replaced after processing
-- The ship will have a closed-cycle water purification system, similar to ISS (including urine)
-- Some of the interior storage layer will also be available for food
-- During a solar storm, all 100 passengers will need to be in this area
-- By nature of its position, the shelter will also provide some additional shielding for the cabin areas

Deck E is the kitchen / galley:

-- Self-serve food area
-- Food storage and dispensing mechanisms will be loaded by the crew before each meal, to prevent hoarding and similar potential social problems
-- Several vertical posts are available in this area, as a place for people to be able to temporarily attach things they're holding to a fixed location (tables don't work in zero-G)

Decks F and G are lounge areas:

-- Removable walls here can be used to change the layout of these spaces to suit passenger preferences
-- Deck F has a few toilets
-- Large video monitors will be available in these areas for shared movie viewing and the like (everyone is also assumed to have their own personal laptop)
-- Both decks have a view through the large window on the leeward side of the ship

Comments and questions welcome!
Really interesting work guys - a lot of thought went into it and I’m sure with feedback future iterations will converge on a workable concept. 

A question and a comment...

Where is the LSS contained in this design, including fallback systems? I would think this would need to be readily accessible during flight.

HumanMars picked up on your design.

https://www.humanmars.net/2019/11/spacex-starship-interior-concept-for.html
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline lamontagne

• Otterburn Park, Quebec,Canada
  • Liked: 3825
  • Likes Given: 715

Really interesting work guys - a lot of thought went into it and I’m sure with feedback future iterations will converge on a workable concept. 

A question and a comment...

Where is the LSS contained in this design, including fallback systems? I would think this would need to be readily accessible during flight.

HumanMars picked up on your design.

https://www.humanmars.net/2019/11/spacex-starship-interior-concept-for.html

Glad you like it!

The LSS are in the two blank rectangular spaces (columns) running from the top to the bottom of the living area, behind the ladders.  The system is divided into a number of subsystems per floor.  There is probably some ductwork in the floors going to the rooms as well.

Batteries are in the nose with the tanks, outside of the living area.
There is some extra space under the gym floor, probably where smaller tanks go. 
Water than cannot be re-used goes into some of the water bladders, to serve as radiation protection mass.
There is a large Nitrogen (compressed air?) tank just besides the airlock in case of large atmospheric losses, and for general system losses.

Offline gtae07

• Georgia, USA
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 423
Does anyone have a 3d printer friendly SS/SH combo?  I’d like to print a couple off (for my boss and my son)

Offline fael097

Figured I'd post this here too:

Rafael Adamy

Offline Ace

If you're doing radial you should at least stagger the back row of seats by half a seat to give passengers a better view!

Yeah, that was the original idea. Turns out it's a pretty tight squeeze.

After trying a few layouts, parallel seating will probably end up being the norm for both takeoff and EDL, with exterior views on video screens. Removable walls and seats are the key.

Offline Ace

I imported the above model into Unity, and added some minimal lights, controls and exterior colors. You can fly around the ship in 3-D, without worrying about collisions and the like (no physics). The main goal is to give you a more dynamic sense of what it would be like to be in that space.

It's a crude (yet functional) setup that could use some testing. I thought it was fun, so perhaps others will, too.

To run the model, unzip the attached file and run Starship.exe. You shouldn't need to install anything.

Controls:

Mouse - look around
WASD - forward/back/left/right
Space - up
Left CTRL - down
ESC - exit

To get started, fly up to one of the airlock doors, then go forward through the hull into Deck A. After that, you can move around on that deck, then move up to each of the other decks.

If there's enough interest, I can start a separate thread for discussion and feedback, so this one doesn't get cluttered.

Offline Cheapchips

• UK
  • Liked: 854
  • Likes Given: 1928
I imported the above model into Unity, and added some minimal lights, controls and exterior colors. You can fly around the ship in 3-D, without worrying about collisions and the like (no physics). The main goal is to give you a more dynamic sense of what it would be like to be in that space.

It's a crude (yet functional) setup that could use some testing. I thought it was fun, so perhaps others will, too.

To run the model, unzip the attached file and run Starship.exe. You shouldn't need to install anything.

Controls:

Mouse - look around
Space - up
Left CTRL - down
ESC - exit

To get started, fly up to one of the airlock doors, then go forward through the hull into Deck A. After that, you can move around on that deck, then move up to each of the other decks.

If there's enough interest, I can start a separate thread for discussion and feedback, so this one doesn't get cluttered.

That's lots of fun.  Maybe a toggle for 1g/0g movement controls?

Offline SteveU

• New England
  • Liked: 438
  • Likes Given: 2402

Controls:

Mouse - look around
Space - up
Left CTRL - down
ESC - exit

Very nice - my only issue was the mouse was way to sensitive to use.  other than that - lots of fun!
"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without." - Confucius

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography