Author Topic: Developing the BFS - Phase 1 Big Falcon Hopper (BFH) Discussion - THREAD 2  (Read 314075 times)

Offline DJPledger

• Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 4016
Man we REALLY need some more news... :)
Please be patient, there will be more BFH news in the near future.

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1087
Extra part for hole on hopper...

And CRS16 F9 stage returned fished from the from sea.
On the ground floor of the National Space Foundation... Colonize Mars!

Offline shuttlelegs

• Regular
  • Gladstone Qld Australia
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 3
When you cut a hole in a storage vessel you need to replace that material around it to prevent buckling in that spot. It appears to me that this is a reinforcing plate for such a hole.

Offline AJW

• Liked: 573
  • Likes Given: 64
The dictionary needs a term for when youíre sure youíve got something in the attic but you donít know which box it is in.  Two afternoons of searching and found my 1951 edition of The Man who Sold the Moon with Delos D. Harriman building a rocket on the cover.

I donít suppose Elon might sign one or both of these if I sent them to Hawthorne along with return postage.

Offline mattstep

• Iowa, USA
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 2610

Wouldn't this imply that the hopper is intended to be horizontal at some point? If the hole is a service hatch it looks like it will be accessed when the hopper is laying on its side.

I caught a frame from John Randolph's video of something falling into the bottom section of the rocket but I

don't know how to show it? Huh, it worked? I hope no one got hurt!
« Last Edit: 01/21/2019 03:06 am by MizaruSpaceXNut »

Online flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 553
I caught a frame from John Randolph's video of something falling into the bottom section of the rocket but I

Do you have a link for the video?

No it's on the face book site? I'm not computer literate. Just an old coot that only knows one thing.

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 2651
  • Likes Given: 331

No it's on the face book site? I'm not computer literate. Just an old coot that only knows one thing.
It’s on the Boca Chica Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1541938906124567/permalink/2226348904350227?sfns=mo

John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 10107
  • Likes Given: 409
  They were still installing pieces after dark. I saw one go in just after 8PM.
« Last Edit: 01/21/2019 05:47 am by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 756
  • Likes Given: 808
The new photo explains how they are going to get tank domes past the tubular triangle connecting the tops of the legs. Seems an odd order of assembly.

This rocket was made by my friend and I 63 years ago! It was made of carbon steel, with an aluminum nose

cone! Unfortunately, we blew it up, testing fuel. It was not my first but was our first! Before sputnik!

Online aaminotti

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0

I think that piece is a stabilizer for putting better the new part into the tank through the leg supports.

Enviado desde mi SM-N950F mediante Tapatalk

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 5903
  • Likes Given: 1994

Oval man-hole for access to the inside of the tank.

Offline tyrred

• Puyallup
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 1199

Oval man-hole for access to the inside of the tank.

Hell, even I could fit through that.  Might need to lose some weight first.  Hopefully not much cleaning required after a hop compared to the cleaning done on F9 after a flight.

Online ncb1397

• Liked: 569
  • Likes Given: 6
Huh, it worked? I hope no one got hurt!

Unlikely. You can hear it hit the floor. Sounds like metal on metal contact. I imagine you would hear somebody making noises afterward as well given it hit metal first. Regardless, if there was somebody inside the tank providing guidance, that is definitely concerning.

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 1315
  • Likes Given: 350
Has anyone seen any provisions for vehicle hold down for static firing and/or launch operations?

Could they actually do a static fire without a flame trench? Wouldn't that destroy the pad and quite likely the hopper?
« Last Edit: 01/21/2019 11:11 am by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 5903
  • Likes Given: 1994
Has anyone seen any provisions for vehicle hold down for static firing and/or launch operations?

Could they actually do a static fire without a flame trench? Wouldn't that destroy the pad and quite likely the hopper?

They did static fires on Grasshopper. Didn't destroy the pad (read: the slab of concrete it was sitting on), nor the Grasshopper.

Offline jpo234

They did static fires on Grasshopper. Didn't destroy the pad (read: the slab of concrete it was sitting on), nor the Grasshopper.

Weren't there some pictures that showed what a Raptor firing does to unprotected concrete (hint: knife meets butter)? Can't find it, but I vaguely remember that they came either from Tom Mueller or Hans Koenigsmann in a presentation...
« Last Edit: 01/21/2019 12:55 pm by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline jpo234

Maybe this pic will help. It was also taken last night when a section was being moved.

This whole undertaking has such a steampunk vibe...
Love it!

Tags: