Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 9  (Read 298618 times)

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 1158
  • Likes Given: 1277
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 9
« Reply #1060 on: 03/12/2019 11:35 am »
Screenshots from the latest YouTube drone footage

Offline OTV Booster

• Terra is my nation; currently Kansas
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1061 on: 03/12/2019 03:06 pm »

}^%] Can’t figure out how to embed an image from an iphone.

Hopefully it’s attached. Does any body have a clue what this structure is?

Phil

Edit: tried to del xtra images. No joy.

Edit/Lar: I fixed it.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:32 am by Lar »

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 658
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #1062 on: 03/12/2019 03:38 pm »
Looks to be the equivalent of a tail service mast, well a half built one.

Offline Dave G

« Reply #1063 on: 03/12/2019 07:51 pm »
Does any body have a clue what this structure is?

4x Zoom-in attached

Offline OTV Booster

• Terra is my nation; currently Kansas
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1064 on: 03/12/2019 09:30 pm »

Tail service mast meaning prop delivery?

Offline WormPicker959

• NYC
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #1065 on: 03/12/2019 09:43 pm »

Tail service mast meaning prop delivery?

Definitely prop delivery. Plumbing coming from insulated pipes coming from the tank farm area, flexible hoses coming off attachment points on this structure, leading into the hopper. You can see closeups of this structure in this post from BCG:
A few pics taken at the launch site.

Offline Dave G

« Reply #1066 on: 03/13/2019 04:11 pm »
Still images of launch site from latest 4K YouTube video:

Offline Dave G

« Reply #1067 on: 03/13/2019 04:14 pm »
Still images of Boca Chica build site from latest 4K YouTube video:
« Last Edit: 03/13/2019 04:15 pm by Dave G »

Offline Dave G

« Reply #1068 on: 03/13/2019 04:30 pm »
2x zoom on the two barrel sections
« Last Edit: 03/13/2019 04:37 pm by Dave G »

Offline Comga

• Liked: 1799
  • Likes Given: 1496
« Reply #1069 on: 03/13/2019 06:20 pm »
From the reflections seen in these photos, the surface of the new cylinder is much more regular than the original nose cone or the hopper body now at the launch site.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 12121
  • Likes Given: 418
« Reply #1070 on: 03/14/2019 06:59 pm »
 The only other permanent residents in the village, who spent months building that great stucco wall at the LBJ house got to see it bulldozed yesterday.
« Last Edit: 03/14/2019 07:00 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Online RotoSequence

• Liked: 916
  • Likes Given: 923
« Reply #1071 on: 03/14/2019 07:03 pm »
The only other permanent residents in the village, who spent months building that great stucco wall at the LBJ house got to see it bulldozed yesterday.

Ouch.  :(

That's one of the SpaceX lots, right? Any idea what it's going to become?

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #1072 on: 03/14/2019 08:10 pm »

Ouch.  :(

That's one of the SpaceX lots, right? Any idea what it's going to become?
I know they've been storing stuff in every nook and cranny they have, so maybe for storage containers or buildings.
 If it's a launch pad, I'm going to need thicker windows.
« Last Edit: 03/14/2019 08:10 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Online RotoSequence

• Liked: 916
  • Likes Given: 923
« Reply #1073 on: 03/14/2019 09:05 pm »
I know they've been storing stuff in every nook and cranny they have, so maybe for storage containers or buildings.
 If it's a launch pad, I'm going to need thicker windows.

That gave me a good chuckle, thanks.  :D

On a related note, I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation on the potential energy of Superheavy's methane tank and came up with ~9 kilotons TNT equivalent. According to nukemap, the blast wave would be down to one PSI at a bit over two kilometers; you might want some thicker windows regardless.  :o

According to the NOAA, at one PSI, houses are expected to be damaged enough to be rendered uninhabitable.

https://response.restoration.noaa.gov/oil-and-chemical-spills/chemical-spills/resources/overpressure-levels-concern.html
« Last Edit: 03/14/2019 09:12 pm by RotoSequence »

Offline Dave G

« Reply #1074 on: 03/14/2019 09:12 pm »
That's one of the SpaceX lots, right?
Actually 3 lots, marked with the letter "D" below.  The house and back yard cover 1.5 lots. The observation tower and parking area covers the other 1.5 lots.

Any idea what it's going to become?
Probably some type of outdoor storage.

Nomadd: Is SpaceX using the any of the other 3 houses marked in yellow below?

Offline DistantTemple

• England
  • Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 495
« Reply #1075 on: 03/14/2019 09:14 pm »
1 psi = 0.7 tonnes /m2
I don't know how pressure waves effect structures... but at a guess it's not just windows that will be damaged! will brick/block walls crack with these loads etc?
Edit: just read your last line houses "rendered uninhabitable"
« Last Edit: 03/14/2019 09:16 pm by DistantTemple »
We can always grow new new dendrites. Reach out and make connections and your world will burst with new insights. Then repose in consciousness.

Offline Wargrim

• Berlin, Germany
  • Liked: 285
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #1076 on: 03/14/2019 09:21 pm »
Remember that even for a perfect mix of CH4 and O2, the chemical reaction happens on a different timescale than the nuclear chain reaction, so the theoretical energy would not equate to the same blast effect.

If i'd be worried about a methane tank, it would be the really large one much closer to the village, not the Hopper. But i wouldnt be worried. We just put a CH4 tank right next to our house and i am not anticipating any explosions.

Offline Dave G

« Reply #1077 on: 03/14/2019 09:38 pm »
On a related note, I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation on the potential energy of Superheavy's methane tank and came up with ~9 kilotons TNT equivalent. According to nukemap, the blast wave would be down to one PSI at a bit over two kilometers; you might want some thicker windows regardless.  :o

According to the NOAA, at one PSI, houses are expected to be damaged enough to be rendered uninhabitable.

This is one of many reasons why I doubt Super Heavy will ever launch from Boca Chica Beach.

For Falcon Heavy, the computed blast containment radius was 4800 feet (see attached diagram).  That's nearly a mile. For a fully fueled Super Heavy, it may be significantly more.  The nearest house is only 1.7 miles from the launch pad.

There's also the issue of noise. Falcon Heavy is already 2dB over the legal limit in Boca Chica Village, but the FAA made an exception because:
- FH was only allowed 2 flights per year
- 2dB is just barely over the limit, and
- SpaceX offered to provide hearing protection to all Boca Chica residents on FH launch days. 
For Super Heavy, the noise may be significantly over the legal limit.

Note: The Boca Chica Beach launch site is only approved for:
1) Falcon 9
2) Falcon Heavy
3) Sub-orbital test vehicles that are "smaller than Falcon 9"

Hopper is currently covered under 3) above.  A larger Starship prototype may also be covered under 3) above, if it's limited to sub-orbital test flights.  But Super Heavy is larger than Falcon 9, so it's not allowed currently.

In order for the FAA to grant permission to allow Super Heavy launches, according to federal law, this requires a public comment period, which we haven't seen to date. The approval process sometimes takes 1-2 years to complete. For example, the process for the current set of approvals started in 2012 and finished in 2014.

We also have this quote from Elon:
Quote from: Elon Musk
...For the short hops, we'll be doing it out of our Texas site.  So we have a site that's on the South coast of Texas near Brownsville, and that's where we'll be doing the initial hops of BFS...

As for the first orbital flights, we have not made a firm decision on that, and it may actually be that we launch from a floating platform. That's possible.
« Last Edit: 03/14/2019 09:50 pm by Dave G »

Offline Dave G

« Reply #1078 on: 03/14/2019 10:41 pm »
Local news article from The Brownsville Herald:
County approves authority for road closures for rocket testing

Cameron County Commissioners' Court approved an order Thursday morning allowing County Judge Eddie Treviño to close Highway 4 and Boca Chica Beach during potential space flight activities.

The move comes nearly a week after Boca Chica Village SpaceX watchers first saw the booster portion of the Starship Hopper prototype moved to the construction site at the facility to the launch pad.

The order was approved after nearly 20 minutes of executive session where commissioners conferred with legal counsel regarding space flight activities.

After the meeting, Treviño said as county judge he has emergency authority to respond to anything from road to beach closures, as well as “whatever the case might be in relation to the upcoming potential space flight activities.”

Last Friday, SpaceX Spokesman James Gleeson said in an email that the Starship prototype was moved in preparation for non-public testing.

“SpaceX will conduct checkouts of the newly installed ground systems and perform a short static fire test in the days ahead,” Gleeson said. “Although the prototype is designed to perform sub-orbital flights, or hops, powered by the SpaceX Raptor engine, the vehicle will be tethered during initial testing and hops will not be visible from offsite. SpaceX will establish a safety zone perimeter in coordination with local enforcement and signage will be in place to alert the community prior to the testing.”

As tests draw closer, Treviño said the county is on a learning curve as potential launches draw closer to becoming a reality.

“It’s exciting and we know that we keep moving closer and closer to that first test or whatever they’re going to be doing and we’re wishing them all the best of luck and we’re excited,” Treviño said.

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #1079 on: 03/14/2019 10:46 pm »
That's one of the SpaceX lots, right?
Actually 3 lots, marked with the letter "D" below.  The house and back yard cover 1.5 lots. The observation tower and parking area covers the other 1.5 lots.

Any idea what it's going to become?
Probably some type of outdoor storage.

Nomadd: Is SpaceX using the any of the other 3 houses marked in yellow below?
There's actually 5 other houses. I've seen them stashing stuff in three of them, but don't really watch that much.

They trapped a dozen cars and one ragged old pedestrian at the pad today when they closed the road for pressure testing.

I went into 9 Esperson today and was surprised. Despite outward appearances, it's in beautiful shape inside. I'd buy it if the electric hadn't been disconnected.

« Last Edit: 03/14/2019 11:03 pm by Nomadd »

Tags: