Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 9  (Read 219408 times)

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 564
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 9
« Reply #740 on: 02/10/2019 04:44 am »
A butterfly sanctuary that's been cut in two took them to court and lost.
Can't find reference now but it was there yesterday; Brownsville Herald IIRC.

FYI it's the National Butterfly Center, about 80 miles west of Boca Chica. There's lots of coverage about it to be found here.  They're still fighting it:
https://www.google.com/search?q=national+butterfly+center&tbm=nws
How to embed photos from outside sources (e.g. Twitter)
NASA TV in HD:  history and FAQ (from 2007-2010 startup period)

Offline M.E.T.

• Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #741 on: 02/10/2019 07:47 am »
If SpaceX succeeds in building the most advanced rocket in the world, enabling unmatched access to space, would their launch facility not become a site of National Security interest, thus requiring strong security to prevent access from across the border in any case?

Their patch of the border might be better protected than the areas covered by the Wall itself.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8861
  • Likes Given: 5742
« Reply #742 on: 02/10/2019 02:12 pm »
Perhaps this will be the base for the water tower that I can only assume will be built soon...?
A water tower? That's crazy talk.

Every time they bring water tower guys on site they want to build rockets instead and SpaceX *lets them* ...
The water tower will probably be built by SpaceX. It's only fair.
OMG, I hope they do... out of shiny stainless.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1414
  • Likes Given: 624
« Reply #743 on: 02/10/2019 02:39 pm »
If SpaceX succeeds in building the most advanced rocket in the world, enabling unmatched access to space, would their launch facility not become a site of National Security interest, thus requiring strong security to prevent access from across the border in any case?

Their patch of the border might be better protected than the areas covered by the Wall itself.
Maybe, but only if this actually became StarShip's Launch facility which is far from certain and which personally I don't think is likely.
« Last Edit: 02/10/2019 02:43 pm by rcoppola »
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #744 on: 02/10/2019 02:59 pm »
Should build an observation center on the Mexican side. SpaceX is about bringing people together for awesomeness, not dividing us from one another.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #745 on: 02/10/2019 03:28 pm »
Should build an observation center on the Mexican side. SpaceX is about bringing people together for awesomeness, not dividing us from one another.

A willingness to launch National Security Payloads, including weapons for the defense of the United States, draws some pretty firm lines in the sand with respect to SpaceX's interests in international unity and cooperation.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #746 on: 02/10/2019 04:23 pm »

A willingness to launch National Security Payloads, including weapons for the defense of the United States, draws some pretty firm lines in the sand with respect to SpaceX's interests in international unity and cooperation.
It doesnít. The two are not in opposition. ISS doesnít make the US less secure.

But that rabbit trail aside, I do wonder if thereís any interest in an observation site on the Mexican side. Particularly if they put a tall wall to the north of the SpaceX site.

EDIT: SpaceX doesnít want to pick political sides. They want to stay out of the fray, want everyone on both political sides just to like space and work together for America and humanity.
« Last Edit: 02/10/2019 05:53 pm by Robotbeat »

Offline Chris Bergin

Uggg, unavoidable, but can we cut out the party political broadcasts. I don't want more pathetic comments in report to mod as if all posts are in a queue and we personally approval each one and then we read each post moments after it's made. Nothing gets on my nerves more than someone politically motivated getting upset with NSF and accusing it of bias when a post that isn't aligned to their political belief is posted (again, not we DON'T approve each post before they go on the forum, so "OMG, you allowed that" is pathetic). Note one person reporting to mod says a lot, but still....Discuss logistics, not political crap.

Most of you are being totally fine, by the way, but this nips it in the bud.
« Last Edit: 02/10/2019 05:16 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline testguy

• Clifton, Virginia
  • Liked: 244
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #748 on: 02/10/2019 08:33 pm »
Command and Control:

I would fully expect the Earth launch complex for all Starship flights to have a control center for control and monitoring of GSE interactions with the vehicle during preparation for launch, launch and flight.  On Mars those functions will be performed internally on the Starship, but not now. To date I have not seen any indication of where that will be or any construction.  That control center, I imagine, will need to be hard wired to the pad and farms to prevent a hacking incident.  Has anyone seen any indication of copper or fiber being laid and to where?  We also have not seen indication of construction of a permanent building for that purpose.

Granted for the Hopper a mobile home or trailer could be dressed out for that purpose.  The launch complex is nearing the point where GSE systems will need to be exercised so I would have expected by now to have a feel where the control center will be.  Anyone have additional thoughts?
« Last Edit: 02/10/2019 08:36 pm by testguy »

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 10010
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #749 on: 02/10/2019 09:33 pm »
 They've been unloading tons of electrical cabinets and crates marked IT at 17 LBJ. It might just be a warehouse, but at 4,600sf it's big enough to be a quick control center. Better than the trailers they have anyhow. And they have a good view of the launch site about 50 feet from the front door.
 Fiber has been run from town to every SpaceX site out here for quite a while now.
« Last Edit: 02/10/2019 11:15 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 7476
  • Likes Given: 2492
« Reply #750 on: 02/10/2019 10:45 pm »

Published on 10 Feb 2019
Footage taken 2/10/19

Offline Wargrim

• Berlin, Germany
  • Liked: 181
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #751 on: 02/10/2019 10:57 pm »
Whatever the triangular bits are, they made some good progress.

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2629
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #752 on: 02/10/2019 11:39 pm »
Is that foundation pad large enough for a VAB?
« Last Edit: 02/10/2019 11:41 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline JBF

• Liked: 418
  • Likes Given: 749
« Reply #753 on: 02/11/2019 02:57 am »
What I find interesting is that the water tanks are being held in place by tie-downs to cement blocks. This implies that is not their permanent location.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but thatís the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 1065
  • Likes Given: 1232
« Reply #754 on: 02/11/2019 08:54 am »
What I find interesting is that the water tanks are being held in place by tie-downs to cement blocks. This implies that is not their permanent location.

Offline rpapo

• Cybernetic Mole
  • Michigan, USA
  • Liked: 669
  • Likes Given: 505
« Reply #755 on: 02/11/2019 10:10 am »
Could be, but it could also be a reaction to the wind incident of a few weeks ago.
An Apollo fanboy . . . fifty years ago.

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 402
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #756 on: 02/11/2019 10:32 am »
The 'wind incident' was a result of using straps to loose concrete blocks as tiedowns rather than the final hard attachment to a solid object.

The tanks are flat-bottomed, so probably want some sort of concrete footing to sit on in use rather than just deformable packed earth.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 5518
  • Likes Given: 940
« Reply #757 on: 02/11/2019 01:38 pm »
Are the two large tanks still in storage meant to go in the center section of the logistics area?  If yes, how are they going to be maneuvered in?
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8396
  • Likes Given: 6725
« Reply #758 on: 02/11/2019 02:04 pm »
The 'wind incident' was a result of using straps to loose concrete blocks as tiedowns rather than the final hard attachment to a solid object.

The tanks are flat-bottomed, so probably want some sort of concrete footing to sit on in use rather than just deformable packed earth.
Packed earth is fine while they are empty but when filled, for sure, concrete footings would be a lot better.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 2642
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #759 on: 02/11/2019 02:46 pm »
Is that foundation pad large enough for a VAB?
Okay - so here's my take on what's going to happen at the launch site:

1) They created three anchor points that describes a circle that is smaller than the legs and wider than the BFH central diameter. These will form some sort of mount that the BFH will ultimately rest upon - call t a Hold Down System (HDS). This is important because the legs will probably not be able to support the weight of a fully fueled BFH.

2) They poured what appears to be a concrete rectangle within these three anchor points. The is the blast pad that the three Raptors will impinge against.

3) They buried a fairly large diameter pipe through a center berm bulkhead and you can see it being routed to the three water tanks and through what looks like a pump.  This is an uninsulated pipe (not white) and it terminates on the pad side in a vertical riser maybe 5' high (circled in red). I assume that's a single rainbird for spraying the concrete rectangle.

4) Looks like they are building service ports for the BFH on either side of the unclad leg (the back leg using elon's glamour shot as reference). 

5) Insulated lines are now making their way though the berm. They will probably come from the pass through at the ends of the berm, one side for methane and one side for LOX. where they begin to terminate will show us the intended orientation of the BFH. But I think it's a foregone conclusion the it will have its "back" to the tank farm.

6) I still maintain that the white truss sections laying about will be for lightning towers. They should start to go up soon if I'm right.

7) I think we're about a month away from seeing what the BFH transport vehicle will be, because I'm sure they will want to do some test runs without the BFH loaded on it. It's possible that the rectangle of land being leveled in between the launch and landing pads is where the transporter will park when not in use.

Just my personal observations based on visuals and a pretty good brain. Of course I was ice diving this weekend in 34F water and 5F surface conditions, so my brain is still a little frozen...

John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Tags: