Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 9  (Read 150351 times)

Stacked again!

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 1610
  • Likes Given: 2355
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 9
« Reply #401 on: 01/09/2019 10:22 pm »
The Aluminum Falcon is assembled!

"You came in that?!? You're braver than I thought..."
Bring the thunder!

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 728
  • Likes Given: 353
« Reply #402 on: 01/09/2019 10:31 pm »
The Aluminum Falcon is assembled!

"You came in that?!? You're braver than I thought..."

I am sure SpaceX will find a place for the Grasshopper cowboy on BFH. Maybe peeping out of one of those portholes?

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 8567
  • Likes Given: 397
« Reply #403 on: 01/09/2019 11:03 pm »
 Three years of very little out here, and in a month, this is the view walking back from the beach.
 They're burying lots of electrical conduit at the pad.
 It's a tad hazy today.
« Last Edit: 01/09/2019 11:04 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline VoodooForce

• Canberra
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #404 on: 01/10/2019 12:12 am »
Fantastic vista

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 728
  • Likes Given: 353
« Reply #405 on: 01/10/2019 01:00 pm »

Online Okie_Steve

• Oklahoma
  • Liked: 83
  • Likes Given: 113
« Reply #406 on: 01/10/2019 04:27 pm »
There has been discussion about how to get the hopper from there to here. At this point I would not be surprised if they put roller skates on the fins and Elon tows it down the road with his Tesla. :o

Online Inoeth

in all seriousness there is the road that goes directly from the tent the Starhopper is being built at to the launch pad... I imagine they'll lift the whole thing onto a massive flat bed truck? If they use the entire road there should be enough space on the side of the road to deal with the reach of the legs (prob just temporarily remove some signs)... The real question in my mind is how will the rocket be placed on the truck since the legs are to big to be the thing on the truck so IMO i think they'll remove the engines and put the rocket on the bed of the truck not unlike when it was on the 'water tower' base that we originally thought it was...

Online AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 684
  • Likes Given: 473
« Reply #408 on: 01/10/2019 06:34 pm »
The real question in my mind is how will the rocket be placed on the truck since the legs are to big to be the thing on the truck so IMO i think they'll remove the engines and put the rocket on the bed of the truck not unlike when it was on the 'water tower' base that we originally thought it was...

Occam's Razor.  They'll have some frame or beams onto which the base can sit with the engines in place.  You don't set anything of this magnitude directly on a flatbed so whatever you do set it on will accommodate the engines without need of removal.

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 384
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #409 on: 01/10/2019 06:57 pm »
Reminds me of the DC-X days with better coverage.

Thanks everyone!!

Offline Restless

• Wimberley, Texas
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #410 on: 01/10/2019 08:44 pm »
Three years of very little out here, and in a month, this is the view walking back from the beach.
 They're burying lots of electrical conduit at the pad.
 It's a tad hazy today.

Glad about the activity at the pad, which may become the critical path to launch. In a Jan 5th tweet on when the BFH would launch, Elon replied "Aiming for 4 weeks, which probably means 8 weeks, due to unforeseen issues".
Of course this is Elon time so multiplying by 3 would give give 24 weeks which is probably about right to get the pad facilities built and commissioned including the LNG and LOX tanks plus required utilities. So the first launch is July 4th?   

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 628
« Reply #411 on: 01/10/2019 08:48 pm »
in all seriousness there is the road that goes directly from the tent the Starhopper is being built at to the launch pad... I imagine they'll lift the whole thing onto a massive flat bed truck? If they use the entire road there should be enough space on the side of the road to deal with the reach of the legs (prob just temporarily remove some signs)... The real question in my mind is how will the rocket be placed on the truck since the legs are to big to be the thing on the truck so IMO i think they'll remove the engines and put the rocket on the bed of the truck not unlike when it was on the 'water tower' base that we originally thought it was...

Methink the SX CTO have watch too much of Gerry Anderson's Thunderbird TV series for inspirations.

All we need to complete Thunderbirds vision is a line of palm trees on horizontal pivot mechanisms along HWY 4.

:)

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 8567
  • Likes Given: 397
« Reply #412 on: 01/10/2019 11:33 pm »

Methink the SX CTO have watch too much of Gerry Anderson's Thunderbird TV series for inspirations.

All we need to complete Thunderbirds vision is a line of palm trees on horizontal pivot mechanisms along HWY 4.

:)
Those are off highway 4 about a mile and a half from the control center.
 One bit of good news, they put that piece of junk they installed two years ago and never used back on the trailer.

« Last Edit: 01/11/2019 05:30 am by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline freddo411

• Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #413 on: 01/11/2019 05:26 am »
Reminds me of the DC-X days with better coverage.

Thanks everyone!!

The DC-X was amazing.   It's surprising and disappointing that no one continued that line of design and thinking until Elon came along.

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 384
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #414 on: 01/11/2019 05:37 pm »
If memory serves, the New Shepherd does have some DC-X heritage.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 1724
  • Likes Given: 1422
« Reply #415 on: 01/11/2019 06:05 pm »
That discussion of VTVL rockets is not about Boca Chica, so I deleted my response and moved it
here
« Last Edit: 01/11/2019 06:26 pm by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Online Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 4270
  • Likes Given: 2574
« Reply #416 on: 01/11/2019 08:05 pm »
I wonder how big (or small) the BFH looks from the viewing area on South Padre Island. I bet they are excited to see something flying this year.

Online AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
« Reply #417 on: 01/11/2019 08:28 pm »
Sounds like they are pouring the cement for the pad today!

Nit clarification on a personal pet-peeve.

The statement above is like saying:  "... they are pouring eggs for the cake today!"

cement : concrete : pad :: eggs : batter : cake

Offline Wargrim

• Berlin, Germany
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #418 on: 01/11/2019 08:38 pm »
How long did it take for the other concrete cakes pads of SpaceX to be layed down and cured to the useable state? Given that the concrete should not be super thick, less than two weeks would be my guess?

Online AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
« Reply #419 on: 01/11/2019 08:48 pm »
How long did it take for the other concrete cakes pads of SpaceX to be layed down and cured to the useable state? Given that the concrete should not be super thick, less than two weeks would be my guess?

I don't know the answer to that specific question but when the issue of concrete cure came up recently, I did some sluething.

Depending on whether they need an Ultra-High Compression Strength Concrete they might not need a full standard 30-day-ish cure.  Concrete specifications can be created to deliver a target compression strength at 1-, 3-, 5-, 7-, 14-, 28-days or whatever is required.  Only exception would be if they were at the absolute limit (or close) of what concrete mixes can deliver.

As an aside, IIRC the thickness isn't as important to cure time as it might seem on the surface.  It does play into a concrete cure due to temperatures and such but in general, cure is a factor of chemical process that occur within the pour mostly unrelated to thickness.  I'm sure an expert can articulate that better.
« Last Edit: 01/11/2019 08:51 pm by AC in NC »

Tags: