Author Topic: 41-D  (Read 4717 times)

Offline trebloc

• Go for launch!
  • Ireland
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 10
41-D
« on: 10/04/2006 07:57 PM »
I was one of the lucky people to have been to the Launch of Discoverys first flight, 41-D in August 1984. What a day it was, my first and still only Shuttle launch. The launch was early in the morning and I positioned myself in Titsville to watch. When the engines lit it was something else, what a sight, the noise came after a few seconds and it sounded like the sky was been ripped apart like a piece of velvet. I will never forget it! Discovery holds a special place in my heart ever since. Was there anyone else there that day? I would love to read other peoples memories of that day.

Tom {Ireland}
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
Carl Sagan,

Online Chris Bergin

RE: 41-D
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/2006 08:47 PM »
Welcome to the site Tom. Nice story.

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: 10/05/2006 01:52 PM »
trebloc - 4/10/2006  2:40 PM

I was one of the lucky people to have been to the Launch of Discoverys first flight, 41-D in August 1984. What a day it was, my first and still only Shuttle launch. The launch was early in the morning and I positioned myself in Titsville to watch. When the engines lit it was something else, what a sight, the noise came after a few seconds and it sounded like the sky was been ripped apart like a piece of velvet. I will never forget it! Discovery holds a special place in my heart ever since. Was there anyone else there that day? I would love to read other peoples memories of that day.

Tom {Ireland}

Great story! Being Discovery holds such a special place in your heart, I bet you'd love to go to see her take off on her final flight in a couple years... ;)

Offline spaceshuttle

• Extreme Veteran
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: 10/05/2006 03:10 PM »
how come discovery gets more attention than the other orbiters?
T-10...9...8...7...we're go for main engine start...4...3...2...1...0 and liftoff of Shuttle Daedalus as the National Aerospace System celebrates its 25th mission.

Offline trebloc

• Go for launch!
  • Ireland
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: 10/05/2006 04:09 PM »
shuttlefan - 4/10/2006  2:35 PM

trebloc - 4/10/2006  2:40 PM

Tom {Ireland}

Great story! Being Discovery holds such a special place in your heart, I bet you'd love to go to see her take off on her final flight in a couple years... ;)

You better believe it!
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
Carl Sagan,

Offline shuttlefan

« Reply #5 on: 10/06/2006 02:23 AM »
spaceshuttle - 5/10/2006  9:53 AM

Do you mean more attention by the media or by the public? For me, personally, and I stress the word ' personally ', Columbia was my favorite orbiter because it was the first. Discovery has got alot of attention because it flew 2 Return-to-Flights, and also carried John Glenn into space on his second flight. I wish Columbia would be on display in a museum, and not in pieces laying on the floor of a hanger. Columbia accomplished alot of firsts to. It carried the first woman Commander, flew the very first shuttle flight and was the first vehicle ever to make two manned flights into space. ;)

Offline spaceshuttle

• Extreme Veteran
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #6 on: 10/06/2006 03:00 AM »
shuttlefan - 5/10/2006  9:06 PM

Do you mean more attention by the media or by the public? For me, personally, and I stress the word ' personally ', Columbia was my favorite orbiter because it was the first. Discovery has got alot of attention because it flew 2 Return-to-Flights, and also carried John Glenn into space on his second flight. I wish Columbia would be on display in a museum, and not in pieces laying on the floor of a hanger. Columbia accomplished alot of firsts to. It carried the first woman Commander, flew the very first shuttle flight and was the first vehicle ever to make two manned flights into space. ;)

i like the all! :)

but yeah, i meant by EVERYBODY!
i don't recall 41d being a special mission

discovery logged more missions than all of them

sts-26, 114, (121) return to flights
sts-91 last mir mission
sts-95 (right after 91) john glenn/new cockpit
sts-92 100th shuttle
sts-70 new airlock
sts-63 first femal space pilot
sts-31 hubble
sts-102 1st expedition crew
...to name a few, these seem to be famous shuttle firsts...
besides, 114 was supposed to be atlantis, but they trumped him for discovery. is there any rhyme or reason?
T-10...9...8...7...we're go for main engine start...4...3...2...1...0 and liftoff of Shuttle Daedalus as the National Aerospace System celebrates its 25th mission.

Offline shuttlefan

« Reply #7 on: 10/06/2006 01:44 PM »
spaceshuttle - 5/10/2006  9:43 PM

shuttlefan - 5/10/2006  9:06 PM

i like the all! :)

but yeah, i meant by EVERYBODY!
i don't recall 41d being a special mission

discovery logged more missions than all of them

sts-26, 114, (121) return to flights
sts-91 last mir mission
sts-92 100th shuttle
sts-70 new airlock
sts-63 first femal space pilot
sts-31 hubble
...to name a few, these seem to be famous shuttle firsts...
besides, 114 was supposed to be atlantis, but they trumped him for discovery. is there any rhyme or reason?
--Discovery was further along in processing at the time-it had more of a chance than Atlantis, of making the launch window. No ryhme nor reason, basically, for Discovery flying all these historic missions. It just turned out that she was always in the right place at the right time. :)

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 3520
  • Likes Given: 200
« Reply #8 on: 10/06/2006 03:44 PM »

Atlantis was the first orbiter to fly with the new "glass cockpit" STS-101

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 1862
  • Likes Given: 1166
« Reply #9 on: 10/06/2006 03:57 PM »
spaceshuttle - 5/10/2006  10:43 PM

Another nit: this was the first ISS crew rotation; the Expedition 1 crew launched on a Soyuz.

Offline spaceshuttle

• Extreme Veteran
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #10 on: 10/06/2006 04:29 PM »
oh, that's right it was 101...i don't know where i got 95 from...
sts-102: 1st crew swap. copy that--in work.  ;)

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 4084
  • Likes Given: 769
« Reply #11 on: 10/06/2006 07:39 PM »
STS-41D was the first shuttle launch I was able to witness.  I saw it from the LC-39 Press Site, which was as close as I've ever been.  

It was the first time I helped do integration testing on shuttle payloads.

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/mirrors/images/images/pao/STS41D/10061514.jpg

It was Discovery's first launch (after many failed attempts).   It was also Judy Resnik and Mike Mullane's first flight.  

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/mirrors/images/images/pao/STS41D/10061482.jpg
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/mirrors/images/images/pao/STS41D/10061481.jpg
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/mirrors/images/images/pao/STS41D/10061495.jpg
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/mirrors/images/images/pao/STS41D/10061574.jpg
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/mirrors/images/images/pao/STS41D/10061568.jpg

Mr. Mullane wrote extensively about this mission in his recent book "Riding Rockets".  

- Ed Kyle

Tags: