Author Topic: Bill Nye doesn't think we'll colonize Mars  (Read 17122 times)

Offline ThereIWas3

• Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 283
Re: Bill Nye doesn't think we'll colonize Mars
« Reply #20 on: 11/22/2018 12:37 pm »
If people who mature physically on Mars have less bone density, then they probably can not return to Earth.  This is not necessarily a bad thing.  They are Martians now.  (This was a major plot point in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress")
"If you want to build a ship, donít drum up people to collect wood and donít assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea" - Antoine de Saint-Exupťry

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 834
  • Likes Given: 528
« Reply #21 on: 11/22/2018 04:02 pm »
I can't think of anyone who should be taken less seriously than Bill Nye.   ???

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 10087
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #22 on: 11/22/2018 04:25 pm »
Oh wow.  Like Iíve been saying exactly what Bill Nye just argued for years... however I get my posts cut from NSF like Iíve been trolling.  So Bill Nye is trolling!

Bill Nye just introduced the thought of what a Mars spacesuit smells like.  Yes.  Bet you cannot get the thought of the smell out of your mind now.  Robotic missions 4 evah. 
Are the posts you get cut all as lame as that one?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 1993
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #23 on: 11/22/2018 05:12 pm »
Having read through Nye's statements there are some falsehoods used to back up his claims. One of which that there actually are permanent residents in Antarctica but for International legal reasons they are not declared as such.
« Last Edit: 11/22/2018 05:13 pm by oldAtlas_Eguy »

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 10087
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #24 on: 11/22/2018 05:39 pm »
 It's always sad to see people who can't believe that their limitations aren't shared by everybody. That and stooping to garbage reasons like smelly spacesuits is pretty disappointing for someone who's suppose to be a beacon for the advancement of humanity and of what it could be.
 I'm glad my ancestors who were willing to spends months on a leaky, rolling, pitching piece of wood to find a home didn't share this snowflake's attitude.
« Last Edit: 11/23/2018 01:59 am by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 3068
  • Likes Given: 8345
« Reply #25 on: 11/23/2018 12:55 am »
I think you're giving him too much credit.  I think because he can't imagine himself going to Mars to live that he doesn't think other people really want to either.  Opening a new world to settlement is the human experience.  As our ancestors spread around the planet taking risky voyages, there were enough people with the explorer gene to make it happen.  It isn't everyone who has it.  It sounds like Bill Nye definitely doesn't have it.  I think there are more than enough people to make it happen.

And yet isn't Bill Nye the head of the Planetary Society, who also writes for Universe Today?

http://www.planetary.org/about/staff/bill-nye.html
https://www.universetoday.com/tag/bill-nye/

I thought the whole point of the Planetary Society is to maintain an interest in exploring other planets.
Some people write about space and some people make space history...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Online sanman

• Liked: 694
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #26 on: 11/23/2018 01:52 am »
We've had some previous discussion threads where we've talked about building more spacious and natural-looking habitats off-world, as opposed to just living inside of tiny compartments like bugs in a bottle. For this purpose, planets offer easier access to resources in abundance, while being relatively stable buffered environments. And yet you're more or less stuck with whatever level of gravity they give you, which can have its own long-term effects on physiology. Orbital habitats with their potential for artificial rotational gravity seem to be more flexible in this regard.

How do we get the best of both worlds?

(As for spacesuit smell - meh, spacesuits could be worn with disposable liners, if they aren't already.)

I wonder what Bill Nye or other purported skeptics think of O'Neill type habitat structures and whether they're possible. Perhaps those could potentially lead to World Ships for possible interstellar colonization missions one day?
« Last Edit: 11/23/2018 01:54 am by sanman »

Offline ThereIWas3

• Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 283
« Reply #27 on: 11/23/2018 03:17 am »
Bill Nye's degree is in mechanical engineering.  His job at the Planetary Society is primarily fundraising (for which he is paid $150K per year).  The Society's mission is primarily one of education, and getting people interested in space in general and planetary research in particular.  They tend to support whatever the NASA view of such things is and put some effort into convincing Congress to fund those missions.  My opinion is that this colors their opinions on things a bit.  There are a few people at the Planetary Society with much deeper backgrounds in the actual science involved than Nye, though most of the staff have non-profit marketing, financial, and operational backgrounds.
« Last Edit: 11/23/2018 01:26 pm by ThereIWas3 »
"If you want to build a ship, donít drum up people to collect wood and donít assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea" - Antoine de Saint-Exupťry

Offline dror

• Israel
  • Liked: 148
  • Likes Given: 391
« Reply #28 on: 11/23/2018 05:54 am »
It's always sad to see people who can't believe that their limitations aren't shared by everybody. That and stooping to garbage reasons like smelly spacesuits is pretty disappointing for someone who's suppose to be a beacon for the advancement of humanity and of what it could be.
 I'm glad my ancestors who were willing to spends months on a leaky, rolling, pitching piece of wood to find a home didn't share this snowflake's attitude.
Oh, did your ancestors settle in a permanently frozen, airless, super dry, super toxic other planet?
"If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal. "
Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

Online QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3788
  • Likes Given: 895
« Reply #29 on: 11/23/2018 06:09 am »
Oh, did your ancestors settle in a permanently frozen, airless, super dry, super toxic other planet?

The hazards our ancestors overcame were just as challenging with the technology available at the time.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline TripleSeven

• Istanbul turkey
  • Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 1381
« Reply #30 on: 11/23/2018 07:15 am »

The hazards our ancestors overcame were just as challenging with the technology available at the time.

not in my view.  Space is the first "place" that, if it is settled, requires 100 percent technology to survive.  the underwater environment would be the first except that we have as a "species" given up on settling it for the time being.  Space, if we settle it will be the first place that we live that technology is required to breath. 

Offline Oli

• Liked: 449
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #31 on: 11/23/2018 09:33 am »

Natives were doing fine with stone-age technology.

Online RotoSequence

• Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #32 on: 11/23/2018 09:43 am »

Natives were doing fine with stone-age technology.

For wildly varying definitions of "fine."

Offline envy887

• Liked: 3076
  • Likes Given: 1551
« Reply #33 on: 11/23/2018 12:30 pm »

The toxicity might be wildly overstated. MRO's perchlorate detections were apparently false positives due to a processing error.

https://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-s-mars-reconnaissance-orbiter-has-a-glitch-that-created-the-illusion-of-water/amp

Offline Mr. Scott

• Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #34 on: 11/23/2018 04:56 pm »

But at least they had funding!
« Last Edit: 11/23/2018 04:58 pm by Mr. Scott »
Donít Panic

Offline KelvinZero

• Liked: 661
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #35 on: 11/23/2018 10:58 pm »

I have seen this comparison a few times. Was America "easier" because a European placed naked on the shore of America could possibly have survived?

Another way of comparing it is death rates. I fully expect we can settle Mars with a lower death rate than the European settlers of America. Our tools have changed, and it is not just technology such as the ability to create air, it is also our willingness to use evidence-based approaches to identify risks and manage them. If unexpected problems do arise there will immediately be a scientific community on earth trying to figure out what is going on, and publishing ahead of their peers.

Offline Torbjorn Larsson, OM

• Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #36 on: 11/23/2018 11:39 pm »
This whole idea of not being possible to live on Mars, as respectful as I can be, is Nye high?

An obvious show stopper down the road would be if 0.3 g surface gravity would be a problem for staying, or further down for adolescence. Else there is nothing new here - from providing breathable gases to food production in closed habitats (modulo efficiency of closure) - and Nye is certainly not providing it, Nye resort to concern trolling, including current habitation.

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1864
  • Likes Given: 1910
« Reply #37 on: 11/23/2018 11:45 pm »

I have seen this comparison a few times. Was America "easier" because a European placed naked on the shore of America could possibly have survived?

Another way of comparing it is death rates. I fully expect we can settle Mars with a lower death rate than the European settlers of America. Our tools have changed, and it is not just technology such as the ability to create air, it is also our willingness to use evidence-based approaches to identify risks and manage them. If unexpected problems do arise there will immediately be a scientific community on earth trying to figure out what is going on, and publishing ahead of their peers.
[/quote]

I agree but analyzing at NASA levels ist also a way of making colonization Impossible. Some risks will have to be tanken.

Offline Hop_David

• Ajo, Arizona
    • Hop's Gallery
  • Liked: 132
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #38 on: 11/24/2018 02:37 am »
Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson are both pretty wet on the idea.

The Planetary Society still sends me letters asking me to rejoin. I reply that I might consider it if they get rid of Tyson and Nye.

Although I agree with Nye that colonizing Mars isn't a plausible new term goal.

But I still harbor hope that humanity will no longer be limited to cradle earth and we'll open the solar system as a new frontier.

Offline KelvinZero

• Liked: 661
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #39 on: 11/24/2018 08:43 am »
This may seem tangental, but I think this thread is not just about the plausibility of mars, but a bit of cult of personality and tribalism too.. so I am throwing this in here: Tyson saying nice things about Elon. :)

Tags: Mars colony