Author Topic: Marine Fleet  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Sound

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Marine Fleet
« on: 11/10/2018 01:38 AM »
I'm looking for any information about the vessels that SpaceX uses for their operations.

I know they've used Marmac barges for their three ASDS. Chartered from their manufacturer McDonough. They were then heavily modified. Both West and East coast

I believe the tug company, Sea Bulk Towing, the contact to haul their barges. They're part of Seacor. The crew is AMO Union.
-they use the tugboat Hawk for allot of operations I believe. Located for their Florida operations?

Supply vessel: Mr. Steven, for fairing retrieval. She's charted from Iberia Marine Services? Located for their West Coast operations.

Supply vessel: NRC Quest. Used for housing and transportation of equipment and retrieval technitions?? Owned by General Electric?

There is also several other vessels in and out I'm curious about:
Elsbeth III - tug boat - in Florida
INTL Freedom?
Tug Rachel?
GO Quest?
Delta Mariner - a roro ship designed for River operations and heavy ballasting?

Any info about the above or any vessels I've missed or companies that interact with them or shipyards etc. Is most welcome.

-a curious boater

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 392
  • Likes Given: 500
Re: Marine Fleet
« Reply #1 on: 11/10/2018 03:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

You're in the right place, but there's no need to create a new thread.  The "Fleets" in this section's title is referring to the marine fleet :)  Read down through all the thread titles in this section (board=80).  Most of the threads are fairly active so you should find most of the discussion threads you want on the very first page.

NSF's own search doesn't work so great, but you can get around that with smart googling. Since this section of the forum is on the public side of NSF (not behind the excellent "L2" section for paying members), you can search by crafting a google search like this:

site:forum.nasaspaceflight.com search terms

... where "search terms" is obviously what you want to search for, like "mr. steven".

Several of these vessels have their own threads.  When you find them, GO TO THE BEGINNING and read the whole thread.  Everything you are asking has already been thoroughly researched and discussed; you just need to find that discussion ...
« Last Edit: 11/10/2018 03:35 AM by ChrisC »
How to embed photos from outside sources (e.g. Twitter)
NASA TV in HD:  history and FAQ (from 2007-2010 startup period)

Offline Beittil

« Reply #2 on: 11/10/2018 07:43 AM »
Delta Mariner - a roro ship designed for River operations and heavy ballasting?
Delta Mariner is a ship operated in name of ULA btw, won't find much information on that in the SpaceX section :)

Offline Nydoc

• Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #3 on: 11/10/2018 10:14 PM »
I know there is a lot of compiled information about marine vessels on the SpaceX subreddit wiki.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SpaceX/wiki/asds

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1856
  • Likes Given: 4087
« Reply #4 on: 11/11/2018 05:10 PM »
The ASDSs were chartered from Marmac, I believe. 

They seem to have chartered their fast service vehicle fleet mainly through Guice Offshore (GO).  Though, IIRC, they have used more than one NRC vessel as well.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 467
  • Likes Given: 336
« Reply #5 on: 11/11/2018 09:36 PM »
The ASDSs were chartered from Marmac, I believe. 

The ASDSs were charted from McDonough Marine:  http://www.mcdonoughmarine.com/

"Marmac" is simply "McDonough Marine" reversed and abbreviated.  Given the substantial size of their fleet, the  number they've used as part of the name is the "class". eg. Marmac 300/301/302/303 are all 300ft-long barges.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline vanoord

• Liked: 361
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #6 on: 11/11/2018 09:40 PM »
The opening post is a bit weird: the level of detail is surprisingly good, down to the union aboard the tugs. Yet there's not much on the Go ships - which are the potentially the most visible part of the fleet after Mr.Steven - but Delta Mariner is listed.

Anyway, as above, there is plenty of information if you look for it. Both here and elsewhere on the internet (Reddit particularly).

Tugs come and go; the Go fleet gets shuffled occasionally; and thee was an early swap with components moving from one Marmac barge to another.

Tags: