Author Topic: Northrop Grumman eyes synergy between OmegA and SLS solid rocket boosters  (Read 1438 times)

Online JonathanD

• Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 94
Idea being that the OmegA core stage could be used as the basis for advanced boosters for later iterations of SLS (if we ever get there)?

Offline TrevorMonty

They going run out of steel cases so its either make more or shift to more powerful booster based on OmegaA.

Online TomH

• Vancouver, WA
  • Liked: 956
  • Likes Given: 352
Not mentioned in the article is that the SLS Block I and Block IB boosters (steel casings) will still use PBAN as fuel, while the Block II boosters (composite casings), like all common booster segments, will use HTPB as fuel. The combination of lighter casings and higher ISP fuel give the newer boosters significantly greater potency.

I have to wonder how CxP might have fared had the Ares I S1 been based on OmegaA Heavy (Castor 1200 with 6 GEM 63 boosters), and Ares V had the Dark Knights as its boosters.

I still expect BFR to render all of this moot, however.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 356
  • Likes Given: 1130
They going run out of steel cases so its either make more or shift to more powerful booster based on OmegaA.
Yes there are at least 80 1/2 thick steel cases that are still within flight spec. 80 cases is the exact amount required for 16 boosters or 8 SLS missions.(5 segments per booster, 2 boosters per mission)  I've heard rumblings that there are more steel cases, but they dont meet the specs, some are supposedly out of round.
There will be no more steel cases built.
We've got enough SRBs for 8 missions, enough heritage/now adaptation RS25s for 4 missions, with production underway for 6 new build RS25s to be delivered by Sept. 30, 2024.
We need to get to SLS Block 2 as quickly as possible.  I'd love to see the dual F-1B Pyrios booster as the advanced booster, but the large diameter solid propellant investment made by NASA in Utah back in the 70's 80's was worth hundreds of millions of dollars, will most likely continue to be utilized via their graphite wound cases. 

A 92 inch diameter, 27 foot long Pathfinder article, composite case was produced by ATK in 2013. ATK identified more than 400 changes and improvements, which NASA approved. These changes have reduced assembly time by approximately 46 percent, saving millions of dollars in projected costs for the SLS system.

The OmegA system is taking me some time tio get used to.  In essence, its using a partial Shuttle SRB as the core stage with strap on SRBs.
I need to start thinking of it in terms of a Solid Rocket Motor as the core stage, coupled with strap on Solid Rocket Boosters.
Paul

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 430
  • Likes Given: 649
<snip>
I need to start thinking of it in terms of a Solid Rocket Motor as the core stage, coupled with strap on Solid Rocket Boosters.

Just look up the ISRO GSLV mark I and GSLV mark II. Which uses the ISRO PSLV components in a rearranged configuration.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8396
  • Likes Given: 6725
(fan)
I need to start thinking of it as something other than a terrifically wasteful[1] bad idea. So far I got nothing. Expendable rockets are passe and new ones are not good use of funds.

Beautiful article though.

1 - it only makes economic sense to NG if they are getting lots of money from others[2] to do it...
2 - Oh wait...
« Last Edit: 11/08/2018 01:12 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Tags: