Author Topic: Mental Health of isolated outpost residents  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Eric Hedman

• Liked: 391
  • Likes Given: 303
Mental Health of isolated outpost residents
« on: 10/24/2018 11:38 pm »
I found an article about a Russian researcher in Antarctica that snapped and stabbed and critically wounded a colleague.  He said he was "Driven mad by living in confined space."  An early Mars outpost would definitely be a confined space.  That begs the question, since no screening of people can predict with absolute accuracy who will snap from isolation or any other form of stress, how do you plan for handling the possibility of someone losing it on a long space voyage or long stay on an isolated planet?  Does the risk make it a high priority to include a mental health export on an early crew?  What do you do about preparing for violence?  Do you include on an early Mars base a brig and other security measures?

Here is the article: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/antarctic-researcher-snapped-stabbed-colleague-13470907

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 2561
  • Likes Given: 3276
Re: Mental Health of isolated outpost residents
« Reply #1 on: 10/24/2018 11:44 pm »
I think there's an experiment going on right now related to this.  It's testing the mental health of a person isolated by spending all his time running two very ambitious companies that have lots of critics.

Online RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 1442
  • Likes Given: 1077
« Reply #2 on: 10/25/2018 03:37 am »
Ask the US Navy how they screen sailors for submarine duty. Boomers stay out at sea for months at a time without surfacing. Maybe someone on the forum was a submariner.

Offline Slarty1080

• UK
  • Liked: 333
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #3 on: 10/25/2018 08:23 pm »
Good question - particuarly imortant if the residents plan on consuming water from Mars that is enriched with deuterium, consumption of which has been linked to depression.
The first words spoken on Mars: "Humans have been wondering if there was any life on the planet Mars for many decades … well ... there is now!"

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 471
  • Likes Given: 254
« Reply #4 on: 10/25/2018 08:59 pm »
This is why they will need windows, even if underground living is built on Mars.  They also will need to get out in the open on little trips away from the base to explore, mine, etc.  Plants in either underground greenhouses or above ground will help also. 

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #5 on: 10/25/2018 09:00 pm »
Would the test to qualify Air Force nuclear missile launch officers for stability be helpful for future missions?

If I were in charge of sending crews to the Moon, Mars, or an asteroid, I’d want to include a trained mental health professional as part of the crew (along with a trained medical doctor as well). I also recall seeing a plan to deal with a crime committed on ISS somewhere in the space station threads, that could be dusted off and updated?
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 471
  • Likes Given: 254
« Reply #6 on: 10/25/2018 09:13 pm »
Haven't though about crime with educated professionals.  However isolated for a long time, at least 2 years on a Mars deployment, could be a problem.  This shouldn't be a problem unless they are stranded longer than expected, or food and water supply get short.

Husband-wife teams will help, or at least a balance of men-women pioneer astronauts.  Constantly working on some project will also help.  Crews can't be left with too much idle time. 

I think with Mars crews, the trip there and back may be more taxing than while on Mars building a base colony. 

Offline ThereIWas3

• Liked: 399
  • Likes Given: 285
« Reply #7 on: 10/25/2018 11:11 pm »
In the book "Too far from home" (about the astronauts stranded on ISS after Columbia) it talks about the psych profile testing the Russians had developed.  They wanted inner-directed people who could set their own goals.
"If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 2561
  • Likes Given: 3276
« Reply #8 on: 10/26/2018 07:25 am »
If I were in charge of sending crews to the Moon, Mars, or an asteroid, I’d want to include a trained mental health professional as part of the crew

I'm not sure that would help much.  I tend to think that therapists can only be effective if they are neutral third parties, not people who are involved in the lives of their patients outside of their roll as therapist.  If they're crammed together with a small number of other people, the mental health professional will be part of the drama, not a neutral outsider.  I would think that would give them little value as a therapist.  Maybe negative value because then they'd be trying to act as a therapist but it would be resisted by others who wouldn't see them as neutral and that could lead to even more tension.

Maybe bring a therapy robot.

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 1665
  • Likes Given: 1973
« Reply #9 on: 10/26/2018 10:11 am »
This is why they will need windows, even if underground living is built on Mars.  They also will need to get out in the open on little trips away from the base to explore, mine, etc.  Plants in either underground greenhouses or above ground will help also.
'Things I personally enjoy' are not the same as things everyone enjoys, and you can make precisely the same argument for dogs,  horseriding or swinging through the canopy of dense jungle on vines.

What is required to be happy differs by individual, and some will value other things than the things you value.
What is an unbearably cramped sterile cramped environment for one is a friendly communal interesting environment for another.

Having enjoyable pursuits and things you find relaxing is conducive to mental health. Screening out people that can only find enjoyment and relaxation in things not available in the remote location is not unreasonable.

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8430
  • Likes Given: 6777
« Reply #10 on: 10/26/2018 02:49 pm »
Let's be careful to keep this firmly focused.

That said, I'm not totally sure that all husband and wife teams will work to reduce stress. People have affairs and if one is mono, that can be very stress inducing for all parties[1]. If I were setting requirements I'd require that everyone be polyamorous already, LOL.

1 - read the intro to Stranger in a Strange Land... it's fiction but shows what can go awry when you send two husband/wife teams
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline gosnold

• Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 1121
« Reply #11 on: 10/26/2018 07:09 pm »
This might be relevant, if a little bit old:

Gunderson, E. E. (1968). Mental health problems in Antarctica. Archives of Environmental Health: An International Journal, 17(4), 558-564.
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/681294.pdf

Offline Eric Hedman

• Liked: 391
  • Likes Given: 303
« Reply #12 on: 10/30/2018 09:54 pm »
There's an update on the story that triggered me to start this thread.  The Russian scientist in Antarctica stabbed the other guy because he kept telling him the endings of books he was reading.  I guess it was a real spoiler alert.  I can imagine that people on the first Mars base will do things that annoy other people.  I guess this was a slight bit of an over reaction.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/30/antarctica-scientist-stabbed-colleague-for-spoiling-book-endings-report/

Offline ThereIWas3

• Liked: 399
  • Likes Given: 285
« Reply #13 on: 10/30/2018 10:51 pm »
Don't forget in "The Martian", the commander had terrible taste in music and  a complete collection of "Three"s Company" videos. 

Clear societal rules on behavior seem to be called for. 
The Japanese have worked out behavior rules that help reduce tension in crowded living conditions.
"If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8889
  • Likes Given: 5746
« Reply #14 on: 10/31/2018 02:00 am »
There's an update on the story that triggered me to start this thread.  The Russian scientist in Antarctica stabbed the other guy because he kept telling him the endings of books he was reading.  ...
Deserved it.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 330
  • Likes Given: 404
« Reply #15 on: 10/31/2018 07:29 am »
About a thousand people have wintered over In Antarctica every year in the 70 since the IGY.  There have been a handful of incidents, during that time (perhaps 4-5), including a suspicious death at the US south pole station.  Compared to other risks it is not to be ignored but it is very small.
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 10334
  • Likes Given: 412
« Reply #16 on: 10/31/2018 08:09 am »
 Send loners. You know, those people who are more at ease in the wilderness, than with other people. At least, that's what they called them before anything outside a tiny area deemed normal by self appointed personalty police was labeled autism spectrum disorder.
« Last Edit: 11/04/2018 05:06 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline tea monster

• Across the Universe
    • My ArtStation Portfolio
  • Liked: 372
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #17 on: 10/31/2018 08:18 am »
Interesting to know more about this incident.

People are isolated from friends, family and their normal lives. That is already setting up conditions where stress and mental instability can occur. Now factor into that situation someone who decides that it's amusing to bully one of their colleagues. The fact that the stabbing victim was known to be doing this before the violence occurred is telling. It's a good thing that the violence only affected one person. Who knows what could have happened if the knife man had decided to blame anyone else for how he was feeling.

In future space missions, especially if people are expected to spend 3 years in a large tin can, the mission Commander will have to be more proactive in detecting and defusing this sort of behaviour. Life is going to be precarious enough on a long duration space mission, without factoring in random acts of violence due to psychological issues.

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 330
  • Likes Given: 404
« Reply #18 on: 11/01/2018 01:37 am »

In future space missions, especially if people are expected to spend 3 years in a large tin can, the mission Commander will have to be more proactive in detecting and defusing this sort of behaviour. Life is going to be precarious enough on a long duration space mission, without factoring in random acts of violence due to psychological issues.

It would be better to be a shared responsibility, not replying too much on the commander.
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Offline gosnold

• Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 1121
« Reply #19 on: 11/20/2018 08:22 pm »
Send loners. You know, those people who are more at ease in the wilderness, than with other people. At least, that's what they called them before anything outside a tiny area deemed normal by self appointed personalty police was labeled autism spectrum disorder.

Mars would not be the wilderness though. You either spend your time trapped in a tin can with your colleagues or in a cumbersome suit in an airless environment. No relaxing time off wandering the nature.

Tags: