Author Topic: Data on NASA A7L Bubble helmet and EMU visor assembly Q&A  (Read 443 times)

Offline Geographus

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi everyone,

recently some friends and I watched a compilation video of Apollo astronauts tripping and falling during their EVAs on the
surface of the Moon and some of my friends asked if that was not ridiculously dangerous, especially if they would hit like
a rock front on with the helmet.

I know that the helmet assembly consists of several layers. Inside they have the bubble helmet made of poly-carbonate,
which is the part of the assembly that is actually pressurized. During the EVAs on the moon they had a secondary, extra-
vehicular visor assembly on top of that for additional protection of the bubble helmet and against micro meteorites. That
assembly also has a clear poly-carbonate visor and a secondary, gold-plated visor against the sun.

So that obviously offered significant protection against damage of the most inner, pressurized part of the helmet.

My question is, how thick are these layers, especially the two clear poly-carbonate layers?  I went to several excessive
technical manuals of the A7L suits and other sources but couldn't find any data on the actual thickness of the used materials.

Anyone has any information on that?

Thx in advance.
« Last Edit: 10/11/2018 01:39 PM by Geographus »

Tags: