Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 8  (Read 89010 times)

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 6008
  • Likes Given: 360
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 8
« Reply #280 on: 12/02/2018 10:55 PM »
 You can see the hill getting a little shorter, flatter and more spread out. It now engulfs the security camera pole on the left.
 My camera is fine. The world changed colors.

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #281 on: 12/03/2018 04:38 AM »
You can see the hill getting a little shorter, flatter and more spread out. It now engulfs the security camera pole on the left.
 My camera is fine. The world changed colors.

Itís shouldnt be too long before SpaceX constructs itís first major structure the HIF for the rocket. They just need to take a little more dirt off Iím guessing. 

Offline OneSpeed

• Liked: 961
  • Likes Given: 755
« Reply #282 on: 12/03/2018 08:16 AM »
The colours don't match, but hope it's helpful. Click the image to start the animation.
« Last Edit: 12/03/2018 08:17 AM by OneSpeed »

Offline mattstep

• Iowa, USA
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 2211
« Reply #283 on: 12/03/2018 03:44 PM »
The colours don't match, but hope it's helpful. Click the image to start the animation.

That's great, thanks OneSpeed and Nomadd! OneSpeed, would it be possible to add a date stamp to the animations for future versions?

Online Comga

• Liked: 1641
  • Likes Given: 1357
« Reply #284 on: 12/03/2018 06:19 PM »
I was going to ask about the exact location of various items, including the tent-like hangar, but found the link to Raul's excellent SpaceX map which has so much good information.

We should give him some "likes" and perhaps honor his request for support.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 224
  • Likes Given: 208
« Reply #285 on: 12/04/2018 11:26 AM »
Talking of maps, here are the two most relevant US Nautical Charts for Boca Chica (freely available at http://www.charts.noaa.gov/InteractiveCatalog/nrnc.shtml) plus a small crop of our area of interest:

Chart:      11301
Title:      Southern part of Laguna Madre
Type:       Coastal Chart
Scale:      1:80,000
Edition:    26
Print Date: 11/1/2013

Chart:      11302
Title:      Intracoastal Waterway Stover Point to Port Brownsville, including Brazos Santiago Pass
Type:       Small Craft Route, IWW Route Chart
Scale:      1:40,000
Edition:    34
Print Date: 1/1/2014

Extract from NOAA Chart 11302 showing Boca Chica and South Bay

« Last Edit: 12/04/2018 11:28 AM by Arb »

Thanks to ARB, I finally realized that the SpaceX site is between the ship channel and the river? That clears a lot up! How deep is the South Bay?

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #287 on: 12/04/2018 05:00 PM »
Thanks to ARB, I finally realized that the SpaceX site is between the ship channel and the river? That clears a lot up! How deep is the South Bay?
You could walk across in a lot of places. The green area in that chart is mostly dry some days. The blue area south of the highway is about 6 inches deep and can dry out completely with a good north wind. The southern part is fed by the river, where the northern part is gulf water.
« Last Edit: 12/04/2018 05:03 PM by Nomadd »

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 224
  • Likes Given: 208
« Reply #288 on: 12/04/2018 08:12 PM »
...How deep is the South Bay?
From the rubric of 11302, soundings (depths) are in feet at Mean Lower Low Water (MLLW). South bay has several soundings marked, somewhat obscured by the compass rose plonked there. In the middle of South Bay it looks to be 1 to 2 feet, towards the entrance as much as 4'. South Bay Pass (the entrance channel itself) is shown in white so should be at least 6'6" feet at MLLW[1].

If there's any conflict between this and Nomadd's post (but I think not) go with his.

[1] If memory serves the boundary between blue and white is an international standard of 2 metres, even in the US.
« Last Edit: 12/04/2018 08:13 PM by Arb »

...How deep is the South Bay?
From the rubric of 11302, soundings (depths) are in feet at Mean Lower Low Water (MLLW). South bay has several soundings marked, somewhat obscured by the compass rose plonked there. In the middle of South Bay it looks to be 1 to 2 feet, towards the entrance as much as 4'. South Bay Pass (the entrance channel itself) is shown in white so should be at least 6'6" feet at MLLW[1].

If there's any conflict between this and Nomadd's post (but I think not) go with his.

[1] If memory serves the boundary between blue and white is an international standard of 2 metres, even in the US.
Thank you, I see the numbers now! You probably guess what I was thinking, a flat bottomed barge!

I was searching on google, found a youtube guy fishing in a kayak with one foot on the bottom!

Sort of dashed my thoughts and you finished them off

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 997
  • Likes Given: 1195
« Reply #290 on: 12/05/2018 09:36 AM »
From the rubric of 11302, soundings (depths) are in feet at Mean Lower Low Water (MLLW). South bay has several soundings marked...

The South Bay is essentially tidal wetlands.  During low tide, most of it is dry. During high tide, it may be a few feet deep.

You probably guess what I was thinking, a flat bottomed barge!

Over the past few years, there have been several posts about using the South Bay for transportation. Looking at a map, it seems like an obvious possibility.

The problem is that this area seems to be environmentally protected wetlands, so things like dredging and building a dock probably wouldn't be allowed.  Note that the phrase "sea turtle" occurs 95 times in the  Environmental Impact Statement.

If SpaceX needed direct access to the launch site over water, one possibility would be building a pier on Boca Chica Beach.  When not in use by SpaceX, the pier could be open to the public.  A lot of public beaches have piers.  People seem to like them.  So that's something that may be allowed.  As far as I know, the beach itself isn't part of the environmentally protected wetlands.  For example, people are allowed to drive passenger vehicles on the beach.

But I suspect BFS/Starship will get to the launch site via Route 4, using the new Port access road, due to be built soon. This route is pictured below.

For the BFR Super Heavy booster, we don't yet know if that will launch from Boca Chica Beach.  When Musk announced Yusaku Maezawa as the first lunar tourist, he also mentioned that BFR may launch from an offshore pad.
« Last Edit: 12/05/2018 09:37 AM by Dave G »

Offline Austin Dave

• Austin & SPI
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #291 on: 12/05/2018 03:19 PM »
I wonder if the port access road will be modified to better serve traffic going East on Hwy 4.  The way it's drawn now there will be an awkward turn to go East.  I assume this road has been planned for a long time, and it's intention was to move traffic back-and-forth between the port and Brownsville.  However, now with SpaceX maybe they'll modify the road either with wide turning lanes at Hwy 4, or maybe add a spur around the midpoint that goes East.
« Last Edit: 12/05/2018 03:20 PM by Austin Dave »

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #292 on: 12/05/2018 04:41 PM »
I wonder if the port access road will be modified to better serve traffic going East on Hwy 4.  The way it's drawn now there will be an awkward turn to go East.  I assume this road has been planned for a long time, and it's intention was to move traffic back-and-forth between the port and Brownsville.  However, now with SpaceX maybe they'll modify the road either with wide turning lanes at Hwy 4, or maybe add a spur around the midpoint that goes East.
I don't think turning will be a problem. As long as the land at the intersection is flat, a steerable rear bogey would let them make a sharp turn with no trouble.

Online oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 646
  • Likes Given: 1442
« Reply #293 on: 12/05/2018 07:17 PM »
This video shows how they do it.   

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #294 on: 12/05/2018 10:29 PM »
 I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the new rocket being 2 1/2 times that F9 diameter.
 I hadn't really thought about it, but I suppose whatever they build to haul the spaceship of many names from the control center to the pad could also pick it up at the port.

Offline aero

• Liked: 801
  • Likes Given: 285
« Reply #295 on: 12/06/2018 01:25 AM »
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the new rocket being 2 1/2 times that F9 diameter.
 I hadn't really thought about it, but I suppose whatever they build to haul the spaceship of many names from the control center to the pad could also pick it up at the port.

Yea, 9 meters is wider than the traffic lane, even wider than two traffic lanes. How wide is the new road from the port to the launch site going to be? Hopefully, it won't be a divided highway with traffic signs to near, and certainly no 16-foot clearance bridges. But then, the safety lane should give some room for overhang to the right side of the vehicle so two lanes might be enough, just keep the weight off of the safety lane.
Retired, working interesting problems

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #296 on: 12/06/2018 03:35 AM »
 The road is 34 feet wide. They just reconstructed the shoulders so it can take weight all the way to the edge.
« Last Edit: 12/06/2018 03:35 AM by Nomadd »

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 997
  • Likes Given: 1195
« Reply #297 on: 12/06/2018 11:56 AM »
This video shows how they do it.   

Me too.

Online groundbound

• Liked: 186
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #298 on: 12/07/2018 12:57 AM »

I'm pretty sure that all the gigantic old growth trees that completely blanket your area will get in the way of this.

Online oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 646
  • Likes Given: 1442
« Reply #299 on: 12/07/2018 01:00 AM »
Just need a Falcon 1 in the image and it would seem totally rational.

It's less of a jump in size from F9 booster to Super Heavy than from F1 Booster to F9 booster.
« Last Edit: 12/07/2018 01:10 AM by oiorionsbelt »

Tags: