Author Topic: Which Artists Should Fly on DearMoon?  (Read 5015 times)

Online Wicky

• Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 51
Re: Which Artists Should Fly on DearMoon?
« Reply #60 on: 09/25/2018 09:34 AM »
I'd nominate an artist friend Chris Dobrowolski - he literally escaped art school in a home made hovercraft - He's built and flown a Flying Flea aircraft and travelled as artist in residence to Antarctica.

http://cdobo.com/cdobdef.asp

Offline tyrred

• Seattle
  • Liked: 116
  • Likes Given: 495
« Reply #61 on: 09/25/2018 10:31 AM »
Hiroyuki Sanada.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7516
  • Likes Given: 5288
« Reply #62 on: 09/25/2018 03:52 PM »
Hiroyuki Sanada.

Why? what kind of artist is he or she? handicapping is more fun if we have some details... thanks
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline KelvinZero

• Liked: 581
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #63 on: 09/26/2018 02:13 AM »
Some people (inc. myself) have mentioned how divergent candidates we speculate on will probably ultimately be from whom Yusaku Maezawa will ultimately select.. on the other hand what we want is more than one trip anyway so we don't need to constrain ourselves to Yusaku Maezawa's candidates. Who would we want to go on these early flights? Who deserves it? Who would be affected most. Whose perspective might be changed? What would affect the world most?

Possibly people who have genuinely earned peace prizes or worked to make the world better. Ironically choosing those candidates exposes us to some of the world's worst divisive politics.

(Someone mentioned Kim Stanley Robinson. May not fit on this flight but I would really like him to get to see an earthrise over the moon.)

A lot of the choices here are space advocates or have produced content appealing to space advocates. Also interesting to think of candidates who have absolutely nothing to do with space because of the greater effect on them.

Offline mrhuggy

• East Yorkshire, UK
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #64 on: 09/29/2018 07:48 PM »
One person i can think of  that deserves a flight is Jean Michel Jarre. In 1986 he made the Rendezvous album, the last track was supposed to of been played and recorded by Ron McNair on STS-51L. Alas as we all know challenger broke up during its launch. I think it would a be fitting for him to get chance to record it in space.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7516
  • Likes Given: 5288
« Reply #65 on: 09/30/2018 03:18 PM »
Some people (inc. myself) have mentioned how divergent candidates we speculate on will probably ultimately be from whom Yusaku Maezawa will ultimately select.. on the other hand what we want is more than one trip anyway so we don't need to constrain ourselves to Yusaku Maezawa's candidates. Who would we want to go on these early flights? Who deserves it? Who would be affected most. Whose perspective might be changed? What would affect the world most?

Possibly people who have genuinely earned peace prizes or worked to make the world better. Ironically choosing those candidates exposes us to some of the world's worst divisive politics.

(Someone mentioned Kim Stanley Robinson. May not fit on this flight but I would really like him to get to see an earthrise over the moon.)

A lot of the choices here are space advocates or have produced content appealing to space advocates. Also interesting to think of candidates who have absolutely nothing to do with space because of the greater effect on them.
I would argue that we don't want an endless series of these and once there is a flourishing base on the moon, which should not be too many years after, the time for orbitals has passed. Send them to land. And if the base is big enough, stay.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline KelvinZero

• Liked: 581
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #66 on: 10/02/2018 08:02 AM »
I would argue that we don't want an endless series of these and once there is a flourishing base on the moon, which should not be too many years after, the time for orbitals has passed. Send them to land. And if the base is big enough, stay.
For sure you do not want progress to stop here, but I am actually really looking forward to this moving past a gimmick to being mundane. I think that this could become one of the first regular tourist applications of the BFS. I think it will always be a lot cheaper ( no refueling) and safer (free return) and a week is probably a nice timescale.. and it does not need a moon base or any of that other infrastructure. I find mundanity sort of thrilling :)

Offline sanman

• Liked: 655
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #67 on: 10/02/2018 11:08 AM »
For sure you do not want progress to stop here, but I am actually really looking forward to this moving past a gimmick to being mundane. I think that this could become one of the first regular tourist applications of the BFS. I think it will always be a lot cheaper ( no refueling) and safer (free return) and a week is probably a nice timescale.. and it does not need a moon base or any of that other infrastructure. I find mundanity sort of thrilling :)

Heh, well Block 5 flights seem pretty mundane now. Previously, I'd always watch the F9 flights live on Youtube, but now I can't be bothered - just look at the highlights the next day. Those early BFR flights will be showstoppers, of course - but if they fly frequently enough, then they too will become mundane. Then, as you say, once lunar landings become routine, the focus of attention will shift to activities on the lunar surface. Once lunar facilities are large enough, then the scope of activities would mushroom dramatically. It would be great to see this artistic pop-culture stuff help to fund this outward expansion to the Moon, our nearest off-world destination.

When the WorldWideWeb began to take off, there was a sudden emphasis on the need for content providers - those who would provide stuff to put up on the web for people to access. While obviously, given the origins of the web, the earliest content was more technical and scientific in nature, that's now no longer the case, and people use it for all sorts of non-science-related content.
Likewise, once the BFR and similar rockets provide the means to travel to space, we'll see that broadening of different reasons for travel to space, the Moon, etc.

Given the ability of artists to connect with the masses in a way that exceeds what scientists and technologists can do, then it seems like a wise decision to reach out to get them onboard and leading the charge. This is a much more clever idea than the joked about "collecting underpants".
« Last Edit: 10/02/2018 11:10 AM by sanman »

Tags: