Author Topic: Rocket engine development costs.  (Read 294 times)

Offline fatjohn1408

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 13
Rocket engine development costs.
« on: 09/13/2018 08:57 PM »
I would like to know a ballpark figure how much it would cost to develop a 5 KN Hydrolox engine to be developped from scratch by a startup company for example.
I know this will vary a lot based on how the startup company is handled, some will go bankrupt pooring 100M into it  and some may do it with 10.

But I have no idea what the lowest possible figure would be and what a reasonable figure would be.

Online Gliderflyer

Re: Rocket engine development costs.
« Reply #1 on: 09/13/2018 11:04 PM »
I would like to know a ballpark figure how much it would cost to develop a 5 KN Hydrolox engine to be developped from scratch by a startup company for example.
I know this will vary a lot based on how the startup company is handled, some will go bankrupt pooring 100M into it  and some may do it with 10.

But I have no idea what the lowest possible figure would be and what a reasonable figure would be.

It greatly depends on the manufacturing methods used, if it is pump fed or pressure fed, the type of test stand and run duration you are planning for, and how jank you are allowed to make everything. With all of that said, somewhere in the single digit millions is close.
I tried it at home

Tags: