Author Topic: Female Astronauts in EMUs  (Read 1266 times)

Offline patdt146

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Female Astronauts in EMUs
« on: 08/19/2018 10:47 AM »
Hello, new here!  I've been wondering for quite some time and haven't found anything on other NSF forums: can all female astronauts wear the EMU?

I remember seeing an interview with Marsha Ivins where she claimed that she/other women "were too small" to fit into the suit, but I've read several articles on NASA's website that vaguely suggest that the suit can fit any crewmember.

If so, are there any limitations for female astronauts in suits?  I know all astronauts post-2009 have done EVA training, so I would imagine that there are no longer any limitations, if there were to begin with!

Thanks!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11186
  • Likes Given: 331
Re: Female Astronauts in EMUs
« Reply #1 on: 08/20/2018 02:18 PM »
Hello, new here!  I've been wondering for quite some time and haven't found anything on other NSF forums: can all female astronauts wear the EMU?

I remember seeing an interview with Marsha Ivins where she claimed that she/other women "were too small" to fit into the suit, but I've read several articles on NASA's website that vaguely suggest that the suit can fit any crewmember.

If so, are there any limitations for female astronauts in suits?  I know all astronauts post-2009 have done EVA training, so I would imagine that there are no longer any limitations, if there were to begin with!

Thanks!

EMU's were designed for 5th to 95th percentile male and female

Offline zhangmdev

• Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Female Astronauts in EMUs
« Reply #2 on: 08/20/2018 03:29 PM »
The 5% 95% range means no smaller than 5th percentile of female, and no bigger than 95th percentile of male, about 90% of the population. The data is based on population of certain age in certain country of certain year. Data of 40-year-old in United States in 1985 is mentioned.

https://msis.jsc.nasa.gov/sections/section14.htm#Figure%2014.3.4.1-3

https://msis.jsc.nasa.gov/sections/section03.htm#_3.2_GENERAL_ANTHROPOMETRICS

Tags: