Author Topic: Business Insider Best 100 Science Fiction Movies of All Time  (Read 2044 times)

Online Eric Hedman

• Liked: 293
  • Likes Given: 243
Business insider put together their list of 100 best Science Fiction movies of all time:

https://www.businessinsider.com/best-science-fiction-movies-all-time-critics-reviews-2018-8

I'm sure there will be disagreements.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1133
  • Likes Given: 2159
Such lists are always subjective. Often times; something listed at 50 or 40 for instance would make my Top Ten! ;)
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
When I saw what was listed as number two in ranking, I laughed out loud! It's an entertaining film, sure - but it has a lot of technical errors. And they ranked it higher than 'The Martian?!'

Ranking '2001' and 'The Arrival' so lowly is just bloody ridiculous. The abundance of Super hero films in the list shows this has been compiled by counting the votes of under-20's, or some such. :'(
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Online Eric Hedman

• Liked: 293
  • Likes Given: 243
When I saw what was listed as number two in ranking, I laughed out loud! It's an entertaining film, sure - but it has a lot of technical errors. And they ranked it higher than 'The Martian?!'

Ranking '2001' and 'The Arrival' so lowly is just bloody ridiculous. The abundance of Super hero films in the list shows this has been compiled by counting the votes of under-20's, or some such. :'(
The used critics ranking from this site: http://www.metacritic.com/

When I saw Gravity at 2 I knew it wasn't people with a technical background doing the ranking.

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
I liked 'Gravity', I really did - but it was flawed. But there was nothing wrong with it that couldn't have been fixed by another draft of the script. Even then it wouldn't be perfect, but then even '2001' wasn't.

And I'm a grizzled old diehard Star Trek fan. So when I saw that the 2009 reboot was the only Trek film on the list and was rated higher than 2001... I stopped reading. Call me a grump, but I'm totally dismissing this list for lacking credibility.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2884
  • Likes Given: 1
These kinds of lists are always subjective, but they can be useful if the site lists their criteria for how they rank things. That is more important than the individual rankings. (In other words, it matters less if #6 should be #5 than the reasons they provide for that.) So if their criteria include things like originality, visuals, influence on other movies, etc., then you have something to think about and discuss.

But this list... this list is just bad. It's absurd. "2001: A Space Odyssey" is listed at #38, and is beaten out by B-grade schlock like "The Host" at #23, and "Werckmeister Harmonies," a movie that nobody has ever heard of, is at #5. It's absurd. Nobody can take this seriously. It's like compiling a list of your favorite fruit and listing "rutabagas" as #7 and "ennui" as #2. People would rightly think that you're a loon. 

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
Brilliant, Blackstar; brilliant!

Offline Wicky

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 47
Just throwing this in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bf7wrl/mark-kermodes-secrets-of-cinema-series-1-4-science-fiction

Mark Kermode continues his fresh and very personal look at the art of cinema by examining the techniques and conventions behind classic film genres, uncovering the ingredients that keep audiences coming back for more.
This time Mark explores the most visionary of all genres - science fiction, and shows how film-makers have risen to the challenge of making the unbelievable believable. Always at the forefront of cinema technology, science fiction films have used cutting-edge visual effects to transport us to other worlds or into the far future. But as Mark shows, it's not just about the effects. Films as diverse as 2001, the Back to the Future trilogy and Blade Runner have used product placement and commercial brand references to make their future worlds seem more credible. The recent hit Arrival proved that the art of film editing can play with our sense of past and future as well as any time machine. Meanwhile, films such as Silent Running and WALL-E have drawn on silent era acting techniques to help robot characters convey emotion. And District 9 reached back to Orson Welles by using news reporting techniques to render an alien visitation credible.
Mark argues that for all their spectacle, science fiction films ultimately derive their power from being about us. They take us to other worlds and eras, and introduce us to alien and artificial beings, in order to help us better understand our own humanity

Offline Comga

• Liked: 1523
  • Likes Given: 1259
I liked 'Gravity', I really did - but it was flawed. But there was nothing wrong with it that couldn't have been fixed by another draft of the script. Even then it wouldn't be perfect, but then even '2001' wasn't.

And I'm a grizzled old diehard Star Trek fan. So when I saw that the 2009 reboot was the only Trek film on the list and was rated higher than 2001... I stopped reading. Call me a grump, but I'm totally dismissing this list for lacking credibility.

Other than thinking "Gravity" could have been saved, I agree.
I would put that somewhere below and take less seriously than "Sleeper" which I love but never considered Science Fiction. 
And the last "Star Wars" episode? So much whining!  At least they left out Jar Jar Binx.
And I just watched (some of) "The Man Who Fell to Earth".  It holds up only slightly better than "Fahrenheit 451" which I really liked when it came out but now seems so stilted.
edit:  And the list would make you think 2017 was the apex of Science Fiction film making.  Talk about lack of memory and perspective!

But the list is missing "Forbidden Planet".  No list of SciFi films is complete without that in it, and it darn well should be near the top.
« Last Edit: 08/13/2018 05:45 AM by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
You're absolutely right! 'Forbidden Planet' is one of my favourites and a must-see for any serious SF fan. As for 'The Last Jedi': the only real problem I had with it is that I agreed with Mark Hamill's opinions - that Luke was uncharacteristically 'Emo' and sulking. Also; we waited all these 35 plus years to see him again and all we got was a glorified cameo and death scene. They should have waited for the ninth film to kill him off. Still; he'll probably be a Force Ghost making a nuisance of himself for the First Order and Kylo Ren in Episode Nine. I think he'll fulfill the prophecy of being 'more powerful than you can possibly imagine' if struck down. After all: in episode 8, Yoda proved you didn't have to have a body of 'crude matter' to still be very powerful as a Jedi.

Offline mikes

• Norwich, UK
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 57
These kinds of lists are always subjective, but they can be useful if the site lists their criteria for how they rank things. That is more important than the individual rankings. (In other words, it matters less if #6 should be #5 than the reasons they provide for that.) So if their criteria include things like originality, visuals, influence on other movies, etc., then you have something to think about and discuss.

But this list... this list is just bad. It's absurd. "2001: A Space Odyssey" is listed at #38, and is beaten out by B-grade schlock like "The Host" at #23, and "Werckmeister Harmonies," a movie that nobody has ever heard of, is at #5. It's absurd. Nobody can take this seriously. It's like compiling a list of your favorite fruit and listing "rutabagas" as #7 and "ennui" as #2. People would rightly think that you're a loon.
I have seen Werckmeister Harmonies (it was on a list of "100 best films of the 21st century" and I'd not heard of it, so sought it out). I would not have classed it as SF. It has some interesting imagery but I'm afraid I couldn't really follow what it was trying to say.

Offline TripleSeven

• Istanbul turkey
  • Liked: 267
  • Likes Given: 1097

the only problem I had with gravity is that well it was just "to much" in terms of endless death defying scenes...one near death scene after another until finally the chinese thing disconnects from the station..and then reentry AND NEARLY DROWNING

I was watching it over the Atlantic and said to myself as she got on the beach :) "now a croc comes up and eats her"

I didnt care about the other issues...they are just you know science and not part of a good movie

Online spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 399
  • Likes Given: 235
No mention of The Day The Earth Stood Still (either version), War of the Worlds (either version), Forbidden Planet (far reaching for a 1950's movie), or Andromeda Strain. 

Offline Torbjorn Larsson, OM

• Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 55
"Forbidden Planet" sat the bar, and quite high.

As it happens I belatedly saw "Arrival" this weekend, and it was so soft - implied FTL, gravity manipulation, time travel to mention the most blatant impossibilities - that it slipped off my screen and mostly vaporized. I liked the story though, even though it implied contingency instead of a block universe. Not in my top 100 as SF.

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 2277
  • Likes Given: 2911
Such lists are always subjective. Often times; something listed at 50 or 40 for instance would make my Top Ten! ;)

That's the whole point of such lists -- say things that lots of people will disagree with to get them talking about it so more people will click on the clickbait.

The more we debate this list here, the more we fall into the trap.
« Last Edit: 08/14/2018 12:20 AM by ChrisWilson68 »

Offline Ike17055

• Liked: 97
  • Likes Given: 8

As it happens I belatedly saw "Arrival" this weekend, and it was so soft - implied FTL, gravity manipulation, time travel to mention the most blatant impossibilities - that it slipped off my screen and mostly vaporized. I liked the story though, even though it implied contingency instead of a block universe. Not in my top 100 as SF.

worth a look. I found this movie compelling and much better on repeat view:

Online Blackstar

• Veteran

That's the whole point of such lists -- say things that lots of people will disagree with to get them talking about it so more people will click on the clickbait.

Well... I think I gotta disagree with you a bit there.

I would not say that this is the "whole point" of these things. People write things in part because they want to write them. They have something to say. Not everything you see on the internet is written to generate maximum clicks, or everything would be about the Kardashians.

As I wrote earlier, the value of such lists really depends upon the author providing their criteria for why one thing is better than another. If everybody understands the criteria, then they can both debate the criteria (i.e. are visuals more important than story?), and then discuss how they are applied (should #4 really be in the top ten given those criteria?). This list fails those criteria. It's just garbage.

You can certainly find better lists, like the American Film Institute's list, or ones produced by science fiction publications. Those would be much more worthwhile for discussion.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1818
  • Likes Given: 3914
It's like compiling a list of your favorite fruit and listing "rutabagas" as #7 and "ennui" as #2. People would rightly think that you're a loon.

I know, right?!  Ennui is clearly #1!!!
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
It's like compiling a list of your favorite fruit and listing "rutabagas" as #7 and "ennui" as #2. People would rightly think that you're a loon.

I know, right?!  Ennui is clearly #1!!!

You're French, right?

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1331
  • Likes Given: 1561
I'm not sure there even ARE 100 good science fiction movies.  Maybe a couple of dozen.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Tags: