Author Topic: SpaceX Dragon 2 Updates and Discussion - Thread 3  (Read 157622 times)

Offline IntoTheVoid

• USA
  • Liked: 307
  • Likes Given: 71
Re: SpaceX Dragon 2 Updates and Discussion - Thread 3
« Reply #580 on: 01/07/2019 01:26 pm »
Thanks for that image su27k. Hadnít seen as high fidelity of an image of the buttons before.

What the heck is Breakout?
I'm presuming that 'Breakout' is to force the capsule door open to allow them to physically get out of the capsule. Probably after landing, since the IVA suits aren't EVA suits.

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #581 on: 01/10/2019 12:56 pm »
"Deorbit now" can presumably lead to a land touchdown. They would use the Dracos for last-second braking, I guess. Also, having done their due diligence, they would have a mode for using the Dracos for the whole descent in case of parachute failure.

Let's just say I'd love to see them test that eventuality in a non-crewed mission...

Offline Falcon H

• Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #582 on: 01/10/2019 01:29 pm »
Iím pretty sure thereís a reserve parachute, so needing to land propulsively would be pretty unlikely.
"Sooner or later, we must expand life beyond our little blue mud ball--or go extinct" Elon Musk

Offline Comga

• Liked: 1748
  • Likes Given: 1448
« Reply #583 on: 01/10/2019 03:19 pm »
"Deorbit now" can presumably lead to a land touchdown.
Agreed
They would use the Dracos for last-second braking, I guess.
Also, having done their due diligence, they would have a mode for using the Dracos for the whole descent in case of parachute failure.
Thatís speculation
Let's just say I'd love to see them test that eventuality in a non-crewed mission...
I would also like to see that but....
It might have been possible to convince NASA to let them bring down a CRS-2 flight with a recycled Dragon-2 in the desert, but probably not after they selected Cargo DreamChaser.

Could SpaceX test Soyuz style terminal braking over the ocean surface on Dragon 2 cargo flights?
Whatís the downside? 
Some Hydrazine and NTO contamination that gets washed by the ocean? 
Protective suits for the workers on the recovery ship?
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 92
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #584 on: 01/10/2019 04:15 pm »
Forgive me if I'm straying too far into speculation land, but is it likely that they have at least simulated propulsive landing and are confident that it's theoretically possible with the physical properties of the existing capsule?  Actual hardware testing is expensive but computer modeling is relatively cheap!  I still wonder if a hail mary option in the flight software might be possible in the event of a chute failure.

Offline kevinof

• Antibes
  • Liked: 528
  • Likes Given: 581
« Reply #585 on: 01/10/2019 04:20 pm »
I doubt they have even test any of this. We would have heard, and we haven't. The only test we know of was the hover test in Texas but it would need a lot more than that to ever try it for real.

Remember these are Nasa flights and Nasa doesn't do anything on the fly. If it's not in the plan, it doesn't get done.

Forgive me if I'm straying too far into speculation land, but is it likely that they have at least simulated propulsive landing and are confident that it's theoretically possible with the physical properties of the existing capsule?  Actual hardware testing is expensive but computer modeling is relatively cheap!  I still wonder if a hail mary option in the flight software might be possible in the event of a chute failure.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 1150
« Reply #586 on: 01/10/2019 04:20 pm »
I still wonder if a hail mary option in the flight software might be possible in the event of a chute failure
Remember these are Nasa flights and Nasa doesn't do anything on the fly. If it's not in the plan, it doesn't get done.
If there's a chute failure during reentry they are going to do whatever is necessary to safely land the capsule, regulations notwithstanding.
« Last Edit: 01/10/2019 04:23 pm by clongton »
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline kevinof

• Antibes
« Reply #587 on: 01/10/2019 04:44 pm »
Well they might have it in there as a "hail mary" play but without testing what's the chances of it working? Do they even have an accurate altimeter to adjust/cut the power when it gets close to splashdown?

I still wonder if a hail mary option in the flight software might be possible in the event of a chute failure
If there's a chute failure during reentry they are going to do whatever is necessary to safely land the capsule, regulations notwithstanding.

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 756
  • Likes Given: 808
« Reply #588 on: 01/10/2019 05:55 pm »
Imagine the chutes don't open and all crew are lost. The finger pointing would be off the charts because there is a backup system on board that could have saved the day had NASA not been so obtuse about it. May explain why some are being so fussy about the chute system when a very similar system has worked fine 16 times in a row on Cargo Dragon.

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 388
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #589 on: 01/10/2019 06:37 pm »
Memory says that after the CRS-7 loss that recovery was added to the Cargo Dragon. The software had already been developed for Dragon 2 recovery and would have saved the Dragon and its contents.

It would seem likely that, if the software had already been developed, SX would utilize that as an additional layer of safety.

Offline kevinof

• Antibes
« Reply #590 on: 01/10/2019 06:47 pm »
That mode was to pop the chutes in the event of the loss of the booster, and save the capsule. What we're talking about here is using the Dracos to take over in the event of the loss of the chutes and land the capsule.

Memory says that after the CRS-7 loss that recovery was added to the Cargo Dragon. The software had already been developed for Dragon 2 recovery and would have saved the Dragon and its contents.

It would seem likely that, if the software had already been developed, SX would utilize that as an additional layer of safety.

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 388
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #591 on: 01/10/2019 08:53 pm »
That mode was to pop the chutes in the event of the loss of the booster, and save the capsule. What we're talking about here is using the Dracos to take over in the event of the loss of the chutes and land the capsule.

I agree the cases are different, chutes versus Dracos, so it will depend on software development. If the software for landing with Dracos has already been done, they are likely to add it for additional protection. Just like the Cargo Dragon, the software was available and supposedly added.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 7484
  • Likes Given: 2500
« Reply #592 on: 01/15/2019 03:45 pm »

This is SpaceXís very first human crew
Verge Science

Published on 15 Jan 2019
This year, if all goes well, astronauts will launch to space on a private craft for the first time in history. Itís SpaceXís big chance to show NASA that it can be trusted with the work of ferrying astronauts to and from the international space station. We met the two astronauts selected for this historic mission and spoke with them about whatís different about working with a private company like SpaceX.

Read more here: https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/15/18182243/spacex-nasa-astronauts-human-crew-commercial-space-iss-tourism-bob-behnken-doug-hurley

Includes astronauts talking about SpaceX spacesuits
« Last Edit: 01/15/2019 03:46 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Online darkenfast

• Liked: 546
  • Likes Given: 1495
« Reply #593 on: 01/16/2019 08:08 am »
As YouTube videos go, the one with that article wasn't bad at all.  I hadn't realized that the suits's gloves simply folded back.  I can't wait to see this thing fly, and I hope these two guys take the flag!

Offline Slarty1080

• UK
  • Liked: 320
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #594 on: 01/20/2019 03:51 pm »
Does anyone know what effect the Government shut down is having / will have on the first manned dragon flight?
The first words spoken on Mars: "Humans have been wondering if there was any life on the planet Mars for many decades Ö well ... there is now!"

Online Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 3069
  • Likes Given: 4176
« Reply #595 on: 01/20/2019 04:32 pm »
Does anyone know what effect the Government shut down is having / will have on the first manned dragon flight?

It's not helping them to launch as soon as SpaceX is ready. NASA has oversight responsibilities on the program, since it is the customer, and I'm sure there are tasks backing up every day the government is shut down but SpaceX is still working.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 1315
  • Likes Given: 348
« Reply #596 on: 01/20/2019 04:46 pm »
From https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/01/spacex-shutdown-nasa-commercial-crew/580342/

NASA and SpaceX tell The Atlantic that, despite speculation, the government shutdown hasn’t affected their work. NASA says the astronaut program, known as Commercial Crew, is part of a small group of NASA activities that are exempt from the government closure, including International Space Station operations, the agency says.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Tags: