Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : Iridium NEXT Flight 8 : Jan. 11, 2019 : Vandenberg - DISCUSSION  (Read 30739 times)

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Commonwealth of Virginia
  • Liked: 584
  • Likes Given: 2219
Re: discussion up-thread: Brian Webb published apparently old information.

From the launch update thread:
Launch is Friday, January 11 morning PST, and the weather forecast is improving.
Back-up launch is Saturday, January 12 morning PST.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=47088.msg1898233#msg1898233
and
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=47088.msg1898320#msg1898320
Support your local planetarium!

Offline MattBaker

• Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 17
Just for confirmation, the 60% weather does include ground winds but doesn't include high-altitude wind, correct?

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1933
  • Likes Given: 4844
Just for confirmation, the 60% weather does include ground winds but doesn't include high-altitude wind, correct?
Correct.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline techdude06

• Ohio
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 3
I happen to be in Irvine CA for business and looking for a spot to maybe get a chance to see this launch from around the area, does anyone know of any locations around about an hour from here where I could get a decent view for this launch?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline radiskull

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 2
I happen to be in Irvine CA for business and looking for a spot to maybe get a chance to see this launch from around the area, does anyone know of any locations around about an hour from here where I could get a decent view for this launch?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It may be too light out for a good view, but I have watched a few launches from Canyon View Park off of San Joaquin Road in Newport Beach.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1933
  • Likes Given: 4844

It may be too light out for a good view, but I have watched a few launches from Canyon View Park off of San Joaquin Road in Newport Beach.

Yep, sunrise in the LA area on Jan. 11th will be right about 7AM.  Launch is scheduled for 7:31AM.  So, lighting conditions won't be dark enough for it to be great launch viewing even if the weather cooperates.  But you can only get what's on offer, so good luck techdude.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 201
  • Likes Given: 112
Is there any news on the grid fin's hydraulics fix/upgrade?

[edit] upgrade. Fins worked just fine last time:
« Last Edit: 01/10/2019 03:38 pm by HVM »

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 814
  • Likes Given: 6549
With the 11 Jan launch now just 12 hours away, it seems a bit odd that there has been no link to the launch webcast yet. 

I just looked on spacex.com and it seems it is simply not yet posted.

Is this abnormal timing for SpqceX/Iridium?
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 8567
  • Likes Given: 397
With the 11 Jan launch now just 12 hours away, it seems a bit odd that there has been no link to the launch webcast yet. 

14 1/2 hours away, isn't it?
« Last Edit: 01/10/2019 11:53 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
You are correct.  I seem to be working in the medieval time frame of quarter and half days.   ;D
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline ajmarco

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 24

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=47088.msg1899295#msg1899295

Posted earlier today in the update thread.

Offline cwr

The best way to view the webcast link is to use http://www.spacex.com/webcast
[I'm deliberately just quoting the address in case you weren't aware of it].

Frequently though not always that is the earliest way to see the webcast.
I don't remember where I saw that the webcast was up but I was viewing it some hours before your post.

The "watch live" link on the spacex home page and the link on youtube usually come after the webcast link.

Hope that helps

Carl

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
SpaceX finally posted a link an hour or so ago. 

Offline eeergo

During our remote camera setup, no photos was permitted until the F9 was in UP position which takes about 10 minutes while the lighting condition was fading away fast.

Why was that, if I may ask?
-DaviD-

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 1412
  • Likes Given: 3742
During our remote camera setup, no photos was permitted until the F9 was in UP position which takes about 10 minutes while the lighting condition was fading away fast.

Why was that, if I may ask?

Same question. Also someone else mentioned it was not allowed to take photos from the front, only from the back. Why?

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 201
  • Likes Given: 112
B1049.2 is one quarters of ugly, and three quarters of shy, so be considerate. But at least she has working grid fins.

Online TorenAltair

• Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 20
Yeah, John Insprucker! Best man.

Offline Flux_Void

• Onward and upward!
  • United States
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 3
Weather looks beautiful. Everything good so far!
"The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live in the cradle forever." -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

Online Joffan

• NSF Irregular
  • Liked: 448
  • Likes Given: 1307
Did they let Matt Desch say "go for launch"? and final count!

edit to add: confirmed by Innsprucker
« Last Edit: 01/11/2019 02:33 pm by Joffan »
Max Q for humanity becoming spacefaring

Offline vandersons

• Ireland
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 123
Obligatory cutlery drop in the SpaceX canteen.

That landing looks to be very much dead centre, remarkable!

Tags: