Author Topic: What exoplanet might reply us back?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline alfa015

• Espaņa
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 0
What exoplanet might reply us back?
« on: 07/07/2018 08:06 PM »
So.. we have sent radio messages to Gliese 273 b and the Gliese 581 system, where planet 'g' hasn't been confirmed yet but it is potentially habitable.

Which of these exoplanets, if any, do you think might reply us back?

Put in other words, which of these exoplanets do you think it might have intelligent life?

I recently made a video about this topic, just in case someone wants to check it out:
« Last Edit: 07/07/2018 08:08 PM by alfa015 »

Offline Hungry4info3

• Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: What exoplanet might reply us back?
« Reply #1 on: 07/07/2018 08:30 PM »
So we only have minimum masses for the GJ 273 planets from radial velocity, and we know from Kepler that planets in this mass range are typically these low-density "super-Earths" with thick volatile envelopes, and are likely not at all rocky. So GJ 273 b is not a good candidate, even in the unlikely case that the planet's true mass is as low as the minimum mass.

For GJ 581, the most recent research has shown that the system has only three detected planets: The b c and e planets. The signal for d was caused by variability in the star's Hα line, and no evidence for the f and g planets was found.

GJ 273 b is very likely not a rocky planet.
GJ 581 g does not exist.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2018 08:40 PM by Hungry4info3 »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2978
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: 07/07/2018 09:21 PM »

Offline Alpha_Centauri

• England
  • Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #3 on: 07/07/2018 09:52 PM »
None as IMO civilisation is a rare quirk of our physiology rather than an evolutionary inevitability.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2018 09:56 PM by Alpha_Centauri »

Offline alfa015

• Espaņa
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: 07/08/2018 06:33 PM »
thanks for your answers!

Offline slavvy

• Netherlands
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #5 on: 07/08/2018 06:50 PM »
None as IMO civilisation is a rare quirk of our physiology rather than an evolutionary inevitability.

Well put. I share your opinion and I am in constant state of wonder that people talk about extraterrestrial civilizations but chose to ignore other universal phenomena. Like extraterrestrial stamp collectors, or extraterrestrial Bulgarian poets.
« Last Edit: 07/08/2018 06:53 PM by slavvy »

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 1569
« Reply #6 on: 07/09/2018 04:18 AM »

Well put. I share your opinion and I am in constant state of wonder that people talk about extraterrestrial civilizations but chose to ignore other universal phenomena. Like extraterrestrial stamp collectors, or extraterrestrial Bulgarian poets.
Well, we ignore the terrestrial ones, the extraterrestrial ones are probably no more exciting.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4988
  • Likes Given: 904
« Reply #7 on: 07/15/2018 11:51 PM »

As long as you don't constrain what you're looking for to be "like us" (e.g. Bulgarian poets) but are ok with any sentient mechanism that finds our transmission interesting and is motivated to transmit a response - then it has nothing to do with the rare quirk of our physiology, but rather with the question of the probability of emergence of intelligence - and that's a valid and open question.

-----
ABCD: Always Be Counting Down

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 6089
  • Likes Given: 361
« Reply #8 on: 07/15/2018 11:58 PM »

Would that be poetry like "Ode to a Small Lump of Green Putty I Found in My Armpit One Midsummer Morning"

Offline Alpha_Centauri

• England
  • Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #9 on: 07/16/2018 06:42 PM »

As long as you don't constrain what you're looking for to be "like us" (e.g. Bulgarian poets) but are ok with any sentient mechanism that finds our transmission interesting and is motivated to transmit a response - then it has nothing to do with the rare quirk of our physiology, but rather with the question of the probability of emergence of intelligence - and that's a valid and open question.
How on earth would they be aware of our transmission if they aren't already a technological civilisation?  Biologically speaking we aren't any more intelligent than the humans of the Roman era but they might as well have been amoeba to any aliens who were trying to call us a couple of thousand years ago.  It is our technology, and our adaptations that have allowed it to flourish, that makes us able to communicate, not our intelligence.

You can't conflate intelligence and technological civilisation, they are distinct issues.  Dolphins are reasonably intelligent but I doubt their alien cousins are going to be listening in on our transmissions any time soon, let alone giving us a call back.

It is the step from intelligence to civilisation that biologically speaking is completely not obvious, not least since in many ways we have to override our survival instincts to cooperate effectively.
« Last Edit: 07/17/2018 12:49 AM by Alpha_Centauri »

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 473
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #10 on: 07/17/2018 11:20 AM »
klendathu - the brutal way.
« Last Edit: 07/17/2018 11:20 AM by Archibald »
...you have been found guilty by the elders of the forum of a (imaginary) vendetta against Saint Elon - BLAAASPHEMER !

Tags: