Author Topic: Space Ship Two - General Thread (4)  (Read 56363 times)

Offline WheelsStop

Re: Space Ship Two - General Thread (4)
« Reply #360 on: 02/23/2019 10:09 pm »
WK2 didn't contrail this time, so it was hard to find.  I picked it up just before release, but didn't get the camera on it until after ignition.
- 8:53:52, about 2 seconds after ignition
- 8:54:00
- 8:54:07
- 8:54:26

Offline WheelsStop

« Reply #361 on: 02/23/2019 10:12 pm »
- 9:05AM, glide phase
- 9:06AM, with the chase plane having caught up
- 9:08AM, rolling out
- Happy crew!

Offline WheelsStop

« Reply #362 on: 02/23/2019 10:14 pm »
On the way home...
The last shot is of the north slopes of the San Gabriel Mountains, with its dusting of snow from the previous day's storm.  The San Andreas Fault is discernible as the linear valley in the foreground before the foothills.

Offline catdlr

• Viewed launches since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 2388
  • Likes Given: 1814
« Reply #363 on: 02/23/2019 10:50 pm »
Beth Moses's first flight on board VSS Unity

SciNews
Published on Feb 23, 2019

Beth Moses, Chief Astronaut Instructor at Virgin Galactic, describes the first flight on board VSS Unity, on 22 February 2019. Beth Moses floated free to complete a number of cabin evaluation test points, while VSS Unity reached an apogee of 89.9km (55.85miles, 294,9007ft). VSS Unity was piloted by Chief Pilot Dave Mackay and co-pilot Michael “Sooch” Masucci.

Credit: Virgin Galactic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaVoG1nuu2c?t=001

Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

• Viewed launches since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 2388
  • Likes Given: 1814
« Reply #364 on: 02/23/2019 11:00 pm »
Thanks again to FutureSpaceTourist for catching the dead VG video link updating with the newest link. (Would not surprise me if that video gets pulled later today for some reason  ;) ). I counted at least four videos that VG posted, only to get pulled hours later.  Must be images that we are not supposed to see or people that didn't want their image broadcasted.  Thanks to the other YouTubers, like AIRBOYD and SciNew, etc. that post their copies that don't get pulled.

Another helpful hint, make some attempt to download the vendor post just in case.  That way you can compare what was edited out.

« Last Edit: 02/23/2019 11:01 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa

Offline LouScheffer

• Liked: 2725
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #365 on: 02/23/2019 11:09 pm »
The San Andreas Fault is discernible as the linear valley in the foreground before the foothills.
Off topic, but it's amazing how well the San Andreas fault stands out from the air.  You learn about it in school, of course, but I remember taking a flight from LA to SFO, and there it was.  For a lot of faults the surface evidence is much more subtle - a road with an offset there, a bent fence there, a river that's no longer straight.   But when you see this huge straight gash down the side of the central valley it really brings home the size and power of this fault.   And it's really hauling along in geological terms - when the first humans were around, LA was twice as far from San Francisco as it is now.

Online Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 657
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #366 on: 02/24/2019 10:35 am »
An interesting update about the other spaceships currently in the process of building:

“We’ve chosen to do some design enhancements on the next spaceship, mostly about manufacturability,” said Enrico Palermo, president of Spaceship Co., Virgin’s spacecraft manufacturing arm. “We’re going to build more of them.”
===
“At a [Boeing] 737 plant, they’re building one [airplane] a day; they’re very high-rate,” Palermo said. “We may build a dozen spaceships [total]. And so our shop floor changes every day.”
===
The company began building the next SpaceShipTwo space plane in 2017 and hopes to finish it this year. ​​​​​​Once the design is finalized, building a SpaceShipTwo craft could take as little as 18 months from start to finish, Palermo said.

Source:

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-virgin-galactic-test-flight-20190222-story.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LasVegasStories+%28Las+Vegas+Stories%29

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1311
  • Likes Given: 2540
« Reply #367 on: 02/24/2019 11:02 pm »
I wonder if the later models will have enough thrust to get the crew plus passengers all the way to the Karman line? Or can we just expect some small improvements, with the altitude staying around the 300 thousand foot mark? (91.4kms)
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline lrk

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 464
« Reply #368 on: 02/24/2019 11:11 pm »
What was the exact burn time for the latest test?  I haven't been able to find this anywhere. 

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 604
  • Likes Given: 442
« Reply #369 on: 02/27/2019 12:29 am »
What was the exact burn time for the latest test?  I haven't been able to find this anywhere. 

The number I got from Mike Moses was 59 seconds -I don't have a more precise value.
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1311
  • Likes Given: 2540
« Reply #370 on: 02/27/2019 03:03 am »
I could be mistaken, but is the engine supposed to able to burn for a maximum theoretical limit of 65 seconds?
« Last Edit: 02/27/2019 03:15 am by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline cwr

« Reply #371 on: 02/27/2019 03:20 am »
I could be mistaken, but is the engine supposed to burn for a maximum theoretical limit of 65 seconds?

My recollection is that VG said that the previous SS2 flight would use 80% of the fuel.
Then after the flight they said the burn lasted for 60 seconds.
This sounds like both of the last two SS2 flights had the same length burn and the extra performance
of the last flight was due to a slightly different flight profile.

Can anybody confirm what the max burn length is?

Carl

Online Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 656
  • Likes Given: 247