Author Topic: Space Ship Two - General Thread (4)  (Read 56503 times)

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 5615
  • Likes Given: 951
Re: Space Ship Two - General Thread (4)
« Reply #340 on: 02/22/2019 11:00 pm »
That VG "has already flown people" is not a badge of honor IMO.

... and neither is their approach of lowering the bar after they realize that passing the original one is a little bit harder than they thought.

I've never been a huge fan of VG, but man, there is a time and place for everything. They deserve kudos for their recent progress.

So please, just start your own thread, meekGee, and stop repeatedly degrading on the achievements of others. You've made your opinion known, leave it at that and move on while there is dignity to be had by anyone.
Sure.  I was mostly reacting, but yes - as you say, opinion published, that's the end of that.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline catdlr

• Viewed launches since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 2391
  • Likes Given: 1820
« Reply #341 on: 02/22/2019 11:04 pm »
additional footage in-between others seen above:

Virgin Galactic Second Space Flight VSS Unity Hits Mach 3 - 295,000 Feet

AIRBOYD
Published on Feb 22, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdgsdDZCEjg?t=001

Tony De La Rosa

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1311
  • Likes Given: 2541
« Reply #342 on: 02/23/2019 12:16 am »
The Flat Earthers are already spamming, trolling and in some cases insulting the videos and those who watch them, via the YouTube comments sections. Probably why some videos of the VG test flight have already been deleted! :'( >:(
« Last Edit: 02/23/2019 04:50 am by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline catdlr

« Reply #343 on: 02/23/2019 01:41 am »
The Flat Earthers are already spamming, trolling and in some cases insulting the videos and those who watch them, via the comments sections. Probably why some videos of the VG test flight have already been deleted! :'( >:(

Just sloppy posting if they forget to turn off comments.  I agree with Mattblak.
Tony De La Rosa

Offline catdlr

« Reply #344 on: 02/23/2019 01:44 am »
Here is another from Airboyd of only the complete launch to apogee.  I see RCS firing near the end?

Watch Virgin Galactic VSS Unity Reach 295,000 Feet

AIRBOYD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBOX01f8fFo?t=001

« Last Edit: 02/23/2019 01:48 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 4609
  • Likes Given: 2768
« Reply #345 on: 02/23/2019 02:09 am »
That's a neat view of the engine nozzle after burnout.  :o Is that stuff on the outside ice or some ablated nozzle material (or combustion by product) that stuck to the nozzle edge?
« Last Edit: 02/23/2019 02:13 am by Lars-J »

Online Gliderflyer

« Reply #346 on: 02/23/2019 02:44 am »
That's a neat view of the engine nozzle after burnout.  :o Is that stuff on the outside ice or some ablated nozzle material (or combustion by product) that stuck to the nozzle edge?
I've seen similar gunk in used silica phenolic nozzles before, but I am still not sure what it is (other than part of the nozzle). I guess it could be melted glass from the fabric in the composite.
« Last Edit: 02/23/2019 02:58 am by Gliderflyer »
I tried it at home

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 469
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #347 on: 02/23/2019 03:40 am »
Beth Moses seems pretty happy with the flight experience

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned here yet, but Beth Moses is the wife of Mike Moses, who should need no introduction to anyone in this thread or to any fans of the last three years of the shuttle program.

I think it's a remarkable endorsement of the safety of the VG system for him to be OK with his wife riding on it on such an early flight.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 8407
  • Likes Given: 2850
« Reply #348 on: 02/23/2019 06:13 am »
« Last Edit: 02/23/2019 09:53 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #349 on: 02/23/2019 06:31 am »
Thanks FST,   I deleted the original VG video that was subsequently pulled and replaced by this new version.
« Last Edit: 02/23/2019 06:34 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 2027
  • Likes Given: 208
Space Ship Two - General Thread (4)
« Reply #350 on: 02/23/2019 08:23 am »
The Flat Earthers are already spamming, trolling and in some cases insulting the videos and those who watch them, via the YouTube comments sections. Probably why some videos of the VG test flight have already been deleted! :'( >:(

Not surprised when you read about this study pointing out the link between the two.

Study blames YouTube for rise in number of Flat Earthers

Of the 30, all but one said they had not considered the Earth to be flat two years ago but changed their minds after watching videos promoting conspiracy theories on YouTube. “The only person who didn’t say this was there with his daughter and his son-in-law and they had seen it on YouTube and told him about it,” said Asheley Landrum, who led the research at Texas Tech University.

The interviews revealed that most had been watching videos about other conspiracies, with alternative takes on 9/11, the Sandy Hook school shooting and whether Nasa really went to the moon, when YouTube offered up Flat Earth videos for them to watch next.

Some said they watched the videos only in order to debunk them but soon found themselves won over by the material.
« Last Edit: 02/23/2019 08:26 am by Star One »

Online Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 657
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #351 on: 02/23/2019 08:27 am »
Can we just send a flat earther to space aboard Unity?

Offline Tobias_Corbett

• Auckland, New Zealand
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #352 on: 02/23/2019 09:11 am »

Knowing flat earthers that could go one of two ways, 1) The flat earther who goes up just starts to say something along the lines of "I was drugged to make me believe I was in space" or "The windows are just TV screens", or 2) The flat earther who went up would see the Earth from space and actually become a sane person, although all of the other flat earthers would just start saying he is a government "shill" or he's just being paid to say the earth is round.

Online tyrred

• Puyallup
  • Liked: 218
  • Likes Given: 1542
« Reply #353 on: 02/23/2019 09:48 am »
Here is another from Airboyd of only the complete launch to apogee.  I see RCS firing near the end?

Watch Virgin Galactic VSS Unity Reach 295,000 Feet

AIRBOYD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBOX01f8fFo?t=001

I think you can even see a bit of Beth doing her weightless float through the 2nd aft top porthole at 1:34...

Exciting times!
« Last Edit: 02/23/2019 09:49 am by tyrred »

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #354 on: 02/23/2019 01:52 pm »

Knowing flat earthers that could go one of two ways, 1) The flat earther who goes up just starts to say something along the lines of "I was drugged to make me believe I was in space" or "The windows are just TV screens", or 2) The flat earther who went up would see the Earth from space and actually become a sane person, although all of the other flat earthers would just start saying he is a government "shill" or he's just being paid to say the earth is round.
I hate to bring it up again (physics and math), but from ~100 km up, all you see is a flat circular horizon... (Same as you see from any high vantage point).

Earth diameter is 12000 km, so you're less than 1% away. 

If the Earth is a basketball, you're 2 mm away - hardly enough to see any curvature. What you see is a big round patch, about 1000 km in radius.

The airfield under you is only 1.5% closer to you than had the earth been flat, and there's no visual way to gauge that difference.

---

Of course the fact that there is even a horizon at all should be a clue...  But people figured that one out from standing on a sea-side cliff.

Or that you can circumnavigate the globe in any direction is another clue...

Morons will remain morons.
« Last Edit: 02/23/2019 11:37 pm by meekGee »

Offline LouScheffer

• Liked: 2726
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #355 on: 02/23/2019 02:18 pm »
I consider SS2 pilots in the same class as X15 pilots - as extreme test pilots, and that's really high praise as far as skills go.

But:

Neither X-15 nor SS2 lie between here and orbit, or moon, or Mars.

The rocket program was a technological pivot from X planes, not a direct continuation.

Because of the state of computing at the time, test-pilot skills were necessary for rockets-and-capsules.  (If you haven't seen "First Man, do).

Today, a vehicle that by design requires manned test flights is lunacy, and has killed a test pilot so far.

BOs suborbital program flew more often, higher, and arguably in more reusable manner - but they haven't risked lives unnecessarily.

Also, that program does lie on a path between here and orbit.

Hence the differences  and hence my criticism.

FWIW, I started out as a fan of SS1.  They got my disrespect the hard way - they earned it.
I understand your points, but they may not matter in this context.  For example, consider the Concorde - it has exactly the same flaws:
(a) It was dangerous, and risked lives unnecessarily.  It killed paying customers, not only test pilots.
(b) It only reached speeds and altitudes that had been reached by others decades earlier.
(c) It was a technical dead end.  No further planes were based on its design or principles.

Yet everyone I know who got to fly on it (sadly not me) is happy they did so, and remember it as a high point of their flying experience.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #356 on: 02/23/2019 02:23 pm »
I consider SS2 pilots in the same class as X15 pilots - as extreme test pilots, and that's really high praise as far as skills go.

But:

The rocket program was a technological pivot from X planes, not a direct continuation.

Because of the state of computing at the time, test-pilot skills were necessary for rockets-and-capsules.  (If you haven't seen "First Man, do).

Today, a vehicle that by design requires manned test flights is lunacy, and has killed a test pilot so far.

BOs suborbital program flew more often, higher, and arguably in more reusable manner - but they haven't risked lives unnecessarily.

FWIW, I started out as a fan of SS1.  They got my disrespect the hard way - they earned it.
I understand your points, but they may not matter in this context.  For example, consider the Concorde - it has exactly the same flaws:
(a) It was dangerous, and risked lives unnecessarily.  It killed paying customers, not only test pilots.
(b) It only reached speeds and altitudes that had been reached by others decades earlier.
(c) It was a technical dead end.  No further planes were based on its design or principles.

Yet everyone I know who got to fly on it (sadly not me) is happy they did so, and remember it as a high point of their flying experience.
No arguments here..  Concorde was hella cool.

It was also a scheduled commercial service vehicle, the safety bar was (correctly) higher, and that was that.

I wish there'd be more progress in commercial aviation.  A 787 is too damn close to a 737...

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 2027
  • Likes Given: 208
« Reply #357 on: 02/23/2019 06:05 pm »

But:

I would point out to you it only killed right at the end of its service life. And by all reports that accident was entirely avoidable and more to do with the people operating it than Concorde itself.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #358 on: 02/23/2019 06:30 pm »

But:

I would point out to you it only killed right at the end of its service life. And by all reports that accident was entirely avoidable and more to do with the people operating it than Concorde itself.
That reminds me of my Boss telling me about this rule that on your last day of work, you can tell the boss anything you want.

That accident, like many, was avoidable, but exposed a degree of fragility which was unacceptable.  That whole business with Continental was irrelevant.  A blown tire should not cause the consequence that it did.

Which ironically brings us back to SS2, but that's an old can of worms I'm ok keeping closed right now...
« Last Edit: 02/23/2019 07:21 pm by meekGee »

Offline WheelsStop

« Reply #359 on: 02/23/2019 10:08 pm »
Yet everyone I know who got to fly on [the Concorde] (sadly not me) is happy they did so, and remember it as a high point of their flying experience.
No arguments here..  Concorde was hella cool.
I once priced a one way Concorde trip and decided it was out of my budget.  I regret now that I never took the opportunity when it was available.  The current price tags on VG/BO flights are... out of this world... enough that I doubt I can suffer any serious regret.

At least I can afford field trips to Mojave to watch them fly, so here's some photos from yesterday's SpaceShipTwo flight:
- Departure preps about an hour before takeoff
- Proteus, another Rutan/Scaled design
- Takeoff at 8:07AM