Author Topic: Space Ship Two - General Thread (4)  (Read 44767 times)

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 564
Re: Space Ship Two - General Thread (4)
« Reply #260 on: 02/10/2019 01:40 pm »
Oh lord, after 18 hours I thought this bickering had stopped, but now it continues. You've stated your cases, and nobody's convincing anyone else.  Move on please.

Of course, it's a general thread, where discussion is fine, and so you're allowed to continue, and I'm allowed to chime in with annoyance :)

If you're going to persist, please trim your quotes down so we don't get a wall of text with every reply.

Edit:  I have failed, apparently.
« Last Edit: 02/10/2019 08:09 pm by ChrisC »
How to embed photos from outside sources (e.g. Twitter)
NASA TV in HD:  history and FAQ (from 2007-2010 startup period)

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 5518
  • Likes Given: 940
« Reply #261 on: 02/10/2019 04:14 pm »
Given the development pace, results so far, and safety record, Branson could use the criticism.

Some programs get into trouble because they go too fast.

VG is going both too slow (in calendar time) and too fast (in terms of tests b4 regular service).

This is not concern trolling - this is straight out saying it is not a healthy program, and it originates from the the top. The exaggerated PR is a symptom of that.

Your statements seem unsupportable to me being as you donít have an insiders view on the current state of the program. All you are doing is recycling things that have already been well discussed on here. I donít see whatís productive or useful about doing that at this point in time. To me it smacks of criticising for the sake of it.

They are supportable by the lack of change in Branson's behavior.

The test program seems artificially short, limited by his desire to ride the Apollo launch date.

And while this was discussed before, it is certainly not conjecture - it is right out there for everyone to see.

Look at BO. They flew 10 times already, faster and higher than VG did - and are still testing. I think they are moving too slow in tempo, but they are certainly being methodical about the testing program.
« Last Edit: 02/12/2019 03:18 am by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8396
  • Likes Given: 6725
« Reply #262 on: 02/10/2019 08:27 pm »
Thanks for the self mod attempt, ChrisC.

Yes, you guys know better. Stop. Especially the deep nest of quotes.. .don't go 3 or 4 deep as a regular practice is my advice. 

Oh lord, after 18 hours I thought this bickering had stopped, but now it continues. You've stated your cases, and nobody's convincing anyone else.  Move on please.

Of course, it's a general thread, where discussion is fine, and so you're allowed to continue, and I'm allowed to chime in with annoyance :)

If you're going to persist, please trim your quotes down so we don't get a wall of text with every reply.

Edit:  I have failed, apparently.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 3068
  • Likes Given: 8345
« Reply #263 on: 02/10/2019 09:02 pm »
Just ignore the "Madison Avenue" sales hype. With New Shepard we have two new "spaceflight experience rides", that's two more than we ever had before... I'm OK with that... 8)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 7476
  • Likes Given: 2492
« Reply #264 on: 02/14/2019 03:03 am »
As expected, still a lot to do though:

Virgin Galactic founder Richard Branson sets date of first trip into space
British billionaire plans to make a suborbital flight on the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/virgin-galactic-ceo-richard-branson-sets-date-first-trip-space-ncna969436

Edit to add:

Branson said the next test flight of SpaceShipTwo was planned for Feb. 20.
« Last Edit: 02/14/2019 03:05 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

Tags: