Author Topic: Space Ship Two - General Thread (4)  (Read 22145 times)

Offline whitelancer64

Re: Space Ship Two - General Thread (4)
« Reply #60 on: 10/09/2018 07:06 PM »
Entrepreneur Sir Richard Branson has said that Virgin Galactic is "weeks" away from its first trip into space.

Is there any consensus as to whether SS2 will actually be going "into space"? I thought there was some discussion of it not being able to make it to the Kármán line.

Their current target is to exceed 50 miles / ~80.5 km altitude.

50 miles is the altitude at which the US military and NASA awards astronaut wings.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 581
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #61 on: 10/09/2018 07:28 PM »
This thing (about where space begins) has already been discussed here. There's no need to raise that topic again IMO.

Online Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 228

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 6718
  • Likes Given: 2085
« Reply #63 on: 11/06/2018 10:55 AM »
Richard Branson visited Mojave recently:

https://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/sneak-peek-inside-virgin-galactics-spaceship

Some nice shots inside the hanger.

Also Dick Powell is working on the SS2 interior design but no info on that yet.

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #64 on: 11/14/2018 03:54 PM »

Offline Stevenzop

« Reply #65 on: 11/19/2018 12:54 PM »
Interesting video, is that a new test stand?

Also, any idea as to what we are seeing here?  Looks almost like a gas burner of some kind round the base of the nozzle... :o  Trick of the video perhaps?

• UK
    • Plan 28

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 581
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #67 on: 11/30/2018 01:14 PM »
First spaceflight to occur "before Christmas", according to new CNN piece:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/30/tech/virgin-galactic-orbital-space-tourism-virgin-orbit/index.html

Let's see if this will happen.

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #68 on: 11/30/2018 06:25 PM »

Offline kvarnelis

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #69 on: 11/30/2018 07:08 PM »
That's a major announcement? A major announcement is that they got into space just like SpaceShipOne did.

There hasn't been enough testing from maximum normal altitude. Without that, I don't see how they can start commercial flights next year. The lengthy turnaround times between flights suggest there is a lot of debugging going on.

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4962
  • Likes Given: 904
« Reply #70 on: 12/01/2018 04:03 PM »
Jeff Foust has a point:

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1068580467664977920

To be fair that was a pre-accident prediction, but there are plenty of post-accident predictions that are equally wild.

I cringe when he quips that "space is hard" and that "rocket science IS rocket science, after all" - I feel that these joke should be reserved to people who understand a thing or two about rocket science.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1884
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #71 on: 12/01/2018 05:14 PM »
Jeff Foust has a point:

To be fair that was a pre-accident prediction, but there are plenty of post-accident predictions that are equally wild.

I cringe when he quips that "space is hard" and that "rocket science IS rocket science, after all" - I feel that these joke should be reserved to people who understand a thing or two about rocket science.

To add that I thought Mr Foust was better than to make cheap shots like this. Disappointing.

Online meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #72 on: 12/01/2018 05:30 PM »
Jeff Foust has a point:

To add that I thought Mr Foust was better than to make cheap shots like this. Disappointing.

Maybe, but this is about SS2, VG, and by extension, Branson.

Branson earned Foust's "cheap shot".  It's not just the wild schedule statements that he keeps making, but the entire "PR first" tack of VG that's just so out of place.

The lack of achievements to date, the accident rate, the constant barrage of announcements "Official hotel chain!  official Vodka! Spaceship 3 and p2p travel!" - it just wears thin.

Here:  http://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/out-of-this-world-land-rover-helps-unveil-virgin-galactics-spaceshiptwo/107750
« Last Edit: 12/01/2018 05:59 PM by meekGee »

Offline Star One

• UK
Space Ship Two - General Thread (4)
« Reply #73 on: 12/01/2018 10:08 PM »
Jeff Foust has a point:

Branson earned Foust's "cheap shot".  It's not just the wild schedule statements that he keeps making, but the entire "PR first" tack of VG that's just so out of place.

The lack of achievements to date, the accident rate, the constant barrage of announcements "Official hotel chain!  official Vodka! Spaceship 3 and p2p travel!" - it just wears thin.

Here:  http://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/out-of-this-world-land-rover-helps-unveil-virgin-galactics-spaceshiptwo/107750

So you think the delay caused by a man’s death which put the program back is an appropriate topic to be joking about?
« Last Edit: 12/01/2018 10:10 PM by Star One »

Online meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #74 on: 12/01/2018 10:47 PM »

So you think the delay caused by a man’s death which put the program back is an appropriate topic to be joking about?

Where FCS did you find that in either my or Foust's posts?

Branson's conduct as the "figurehead" of VG, and VG's conduct as a space-aspirational company are what we're talking about.

If you want to bring up VG's culture in the context of the accident, go ahead, but best first go back a few thousand posts, and also read the NTSB's report.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2018 10:50 PM by meekGee »

Online meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #75 on: 12/01/2018 11:02 PM »
Here's a post accident one:  (October 20, 2017)
Virgin Galactic Will “Be in Space in About Four Months”
https://futurism.com/richard-branson-virgin-galactic-will-be-in-space-in-about-four-months

Here's another from the CEO:
Virgin Galactic hopes to complete construction of the second SpaceShipTwo in mid-2015 and begin test flights before the end of the year, said company CEO George Whitesides. (November 5, 2014)
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-space-crash-virgin-new-idUSKBN0IQ02920141106
---

Here are some older ones, from https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/over-a-decade-of-virgin-galactics-failed-space-age-prom-1575643484

“Richard Branson, ruler of the Virgin empire, is planning a hotel in space and has registered a company, Virgin Galactic Airways, to fly guests into orbit. ‘We’re looking at various things that could enable people to go to space for a reasonable price,’ he told Interneters last week in an online chat. ‘I hope in five years a reusable rocket will have been developed which can take up to 10 people at a time to stay at the Virgin Hotel for two weeks.’” [May 24, 1999 Cedar Rapids Gazette]

“Airline mogul and adventurer Richard Branson announced plans Monday to boldly go where no private transport company has gone before — into space. Branson’s Virgin Group said, it would offer commercial space flights by 2007, with Branson himself joining the inaugural journey.” [September 28, 2004 Associated Press]

“Virgin Galactic, already has 100 people who have paid $200,000 apiece for flights, which the company has said it hopes to begin in 2008.” [February 21, 2006 Associated Press]

“The rollout — a year after a deadly accident at Rutan’s test site — marks the start of a rigorous flight test program that space tourism advocates hope will climax with the first suborbital joy rides by the end of the decade. More than 250 wannabe astronauts have paid $200,000 or put down deposits for a chance to float weightless for a mere five minutes.” [July 27, 2008 Associated Press]

“With over 500 passengers having thrown down a $20,000 deposit on the $200,000 flight into space, Whitesides says Galactic is ‘roughly on track’ for a late 2013 commercial launch.” [June 16, 2012 Techcrunch]

---

You can't ignore this.  Going over-budget and over-schedule is not a deadly sin, it happens to the best.  But staying at the "almost-there" "will fly in a few month" state for years and years - that's a signal that something is wrong, and it starts from the top, not from a post by a journalist.
« Last Edit: 12/02/2018 06:16 PM by meekGee »

Offline kvarnelis

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #76 on: 12/02/2018 12:59 PM »
He really is a brilliant marketer. The top headline on CNN.com on the 30th (could have the date wrong but I think that’s it) encouraged us to watch the Branson talk about Virgin Galactic live now on CNN. And we find out nothing really. Maybe a flight past the Karman line this month. Maybe not. He probably had to pay off some more investors.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #77 on: 12/03/2018 05:11 PM »
He really is a brilliant marketer. The top headline on CNN.com on the 30th (could have the date wrong but I think that’s it) encouraged us to watch the Branson talk about Virgin Galactic live now on CNN. And we find out nothing really. Maybe a flight past the Karman line this month. Maybe not. He probably had to pay off some more investors.

The fact that he’s good at PR seems to be enough to set some off on this thread. I am ambivalent on the guy, but don’t think he deserves all the rampant negativity that some seem to like applying to him.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3961
  • Likes Given: 2394
« Reply #78 on: 12/03/2018 05:51 PM »

The fact that he’s good at PR seems to be enough to set some off on this thread. I am ambivalent on the guy, but don’t think he deserves all the rampant negativity that some seem to like applying to him.

...while others seem to give him too much credit, IMO.

Think of it this way: Imagine if Musk had not launched the Falcon 1 to space yet, and had kept saying that it would launch real soon now for the last decade. That's the level of hype vs. achievement we are looking at here.

Offline Star One

• UK
Space Ship Two - General Thread (4)
« Reply #79 on: 12/04/2018 08:19 AM »

...while others seem to give him too much credit, IMO.

Think of it this way: Imagine if Musk had not launched the Falcon 1 to space yet, and had kept saying that it would launch real soon now for the last decade. That's the level of hype vs. achievement we are looking at here.

But is he to be punished for aspiration?
« Last Edit: 12/04/2018 08:19 AM by Star One »

Tags: