Author Topic: New SpaceX Operations Complex at the Cape (Roberts Rd.)  (Read 208845 times)

Offline spsam

• Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: New SpaceX Operations Complex at the Cape (Roberts Rd.)
« Reply #260 on: 03/15/2021 09:40 pm »
Looks like the roof is almost finished.

Offline harrystranger

This pass was a little cloudy so the quality is a little poorer than usual but it seems like ground work is continuing.
It can be really hard to interpret satellite imagery! Local knowledge & an understanding of an area’s history are crucial pieces of the puzzle.
- Rob Simmon

Offline harrystranger

SpaceX has submitted plans for a road extension at Roberts Road. I have attached the plans and a drainage report below (source: https://permitting.sjrwmd.com/ep/#/prmtInfo?curId=&hdr=1&usrId=0&offclId=157352&seqNo=6).
The first image is a screenshot from the drainage report showing the location of the extension.
The second image is a screenshot from Google Earth (taken on 2020-12-13) for reference  :)
It can be really hard to interpret satellite imagery! Local knowledge & an understanding of an area’s history are crucial pieces of the puzzle.
- Rob Simmon

Offline Jansen

• Liked: 2224
  • Likes Given: 373
« Reply #263 on: 04/06/2021 08:30 pm »

Offline retrojet

• Gemany
    • alexrex.de
  • Liked: 668
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #264 on: 04/07/2021 07:14 am »
New Virtual Flyover
SpaceX Starship at the Cape / Facility Update / April 2021
Covering buildings and structures at the RobertsRoad Site and at Pad39A.

Offline spsam

• Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 5

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 970
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #266 on: 05/14/2021 03:03 am »
Does anyone have any insight on when KSC VC might start running bus tours again, so that we can start getting better looks at Roberts Road? :)
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 17425
  • Likes Given: 394
« Reply #267 on: 05/14/2021 03:44 pm »
Does anyone have any insight on when KSC VC might start running bus tours again, so that we can start getting better looks at Roberts Road? :)

There is little to see from Kennedy Parkway

Offline vaporcobra

• Tacoma, WA
  • Liked: 7424
  • Likes Given: 8600
« Reply #268 on: 05/15/2021 02:16 am »

There is little to see from Kennedy Parkway

Yeah, short of being an employee and risking your job, the only real opportunities for decent photos of Roberts Road will be aerial tours, and the ones with KSC flyovers aren't cheap. It's sort of the anti-Boca Chica.

Offline Jansen

• Liked: 2224
  • Likes Given: 373
« Reply #269 on: 05/27/2021 03:20 am »
Booster inspections for F9s are being conducted here after leaving Port Canaveral.

The current inventory of first stages has led to a severe shortage of hanger space.
« Last Edit: 05/27/2021 03:21 am by Jansen »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 17425
  • Likes Given: 394
« Reply #270 on: 06/29/2021 09:56 pm »
It will have 10 lanes for booster work.  This will be for booster postflight and refurb.  The pad hangars will then only be for preflight integration.

Offline burger

• Mechanical Engineer - Loft Orbital
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #271 on: 07/21/2021 08:24 pm »
Hangar X at Roberts Road is open for business!!

As a part of the VIP launch viewing for Transporter 2, we were given a tour of Hanger X on 06/29/21. Information from the head guy there follows:
 * Hangar X is now the main booster processing facility at the Cape.
 * It's been open for about a month (as of 06/29)
 * There are 4 processing lanes for booster refurbishment
 * There are 5 "garage bays" for storage of boosters
 * Refurbishment time is currently 2-4 weeks
 * Lots more info on the boosters in general which is all well known to us space nerds

Boosters in the hangar at time of visit:
 * B1061 in Garage Bay 5 (NASA logo on the side)
 * Falcon Heavy side booster (unknown SN) in Processing Lane 1
 * B1051 (life leader at 10 flights) in Processing Lane 2 - will soon be sent to VSFB for west coast Starlink launches
 * Unknown booster in Processing Lane 4
 * It was near impossible to see into the other dark garage lanes behind B1061 so I'm unsure if other boosters were in storage at the time.

Photos: We were told we could take photos from the bus but that was then corrected to "photos from the road but not once on the property".
« Last Edit: 07/23/2021 06:36 pm by burger »

Online pyromatter

• United Kingdom
  • Liked: 3271
  • Likes Given: 18

Offline harrystranger

A recent aerial photo showing Roberts Road from the north.
https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/1422499484525793293?s
- Rob Simmon

Offline DistantTemple

• England
  • Liked: 1612
  • Likes Given: 2619
« Reply #274 on: 08/08/2021 10:33 pm »
Does anyone know if this place marked on Google Maps as "SpaceX Operations Area" has any meaning? Could it be a mistake for Robert's Road, at the bottom of my clip? Or does SX have a second lot there...
Once Starship is in full flow, maybe they will need all the space from here TO Robert's road!!!
EDIT: credit - picture clipped from Google Maps.
« Last Edit: 08/08/2021 10:51 pm by DistantTemple »
We can always grow new new dendrites. Reach out and make connections and your world will burst with new insights. Then repose in consciousness.

Offline harrystranger

Does anyone know if this place marked on Google Maps as "SpaceX Operations Area" has any meaning? Could it be a mistake for Robert's Road, at the bottom of my clip? Or does SX have a second lot there...
Once Starship is in full flow, maybe they will need all the space from here TO Robert's road!!!
To the best of my knowledge they only own is what I have outlined (roughly) in the first picture. I believe the marker on Google Maps is just in the wrong location, it's been like that for some time now.
The second picture is from the 2018 environmental draft for Roberts Road and shows the same thing. Though it would be cool to see them expand even further if needed  :)
« Last Edit: 08/09/2021 09:08 am by harrystranger »
- Rob Simmon

Offline Hamish.Student

• Liked: 333
  • Likes Given: 358
« Reply #276 on: 08/09/2021 02:29 pm »
To the best of my knowledge they only own is what I have outlined (roughly) in the first picture. I believe the marker on Google Maps is just in the wrong location, it's been like that for some time now.
The second picture is from the 2018 environmental draft for Roberts Road and shows the same thing. Though it would be cool to see them expand even further if needed  :)

Do we know if the tower is still on the drawing board or if thats been scrapped?

Offline jstrotha0975

• United States
  • Liked: 237
  • Likes Given: 1849
« Reply #277 on: 08/09/2021 03:38 pm »

Do we know if the tower is still on the drawing board or if thats been scrapped?

I believe it's been scrapped. Would be nice to build a similar launch control tower at Boca Chica.

Offline harrystranger

Looking at Sentinel-2 imagery, it looks like the two tents (seen here: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45813.msg2271622#msg2271622) on to the north of Hangar X have been dismantled and some ground work is going on.

Gif showing changes below.
- Rob Simmon

Offline harrystranger

Some photos from a bus tour showing activity to the north side of the hangar. Cement trucks pouring concrete, and what looks like piles being driven in the last two photos?  :)
https://twitter.com/IanPineapple/status/1430337323166806017?s
- Rob Simmon

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography