Author Topic: Blue Origin fleet  (Read 27100 times)

Offline Kenp51d

• Modesto, CA
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 21
Re: Blue Origin fleet
« Reply #100 on: 12/13/2018 03:51 am »
That's what came to my mind

Ken

Sent from my V10 using Tapatalk

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 486
  • Likes Given: 348
« Reply #101 on: 12/13/2018 05:33 am »
Some of us are thinking LPV = Landing Platform Vessel

That would kinda preclude another though wouldn't it?  After all, one vessel hardly makes a fleet..

If true, the next would have to be "LPV Too". :)
« Last Edit: 12/13/2018 05:35 am by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Online b0objunior

• Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #102 on: 03/24/2019 04:40 pm »
This new picture from reddit shows that they are modifying the chimneys right now. I think they are in the process of getting rid of them.

I put a picture of before the started working on it (new one on the left).

https://www.reddit.com/r/BlueOrigin/comments/b4q4t0/rollonrolloff_ship_currently_being_converted_to/
« Last Edit: 03/24/2019 04:40 pm by b0objunior »

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 9152
  • Likes Given: 3130
« Reply #103 on: 04/01/2019 05:58 am »
https://twitter.com/dakotaastrowolf/status/1112420698377588736

The @blueorigin recovery ship as seen today at birth.

twitter.com/dakotaastrowolf/status/1112429512590004225?s=21

Berth*. Excuse my lack of proofreading lol.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #104 on: 04/01/2019 06:23 am »

Looks kinda weird without the exhaust stacks.  I wonder what they have in mind? Side or rear perhaps??

EDIT:  She's looking a little tired and rusty too.. they sure have an awful lot of work to do.
« Last Edit: 04/01/2019 06:30 am by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Online b0objunior

« Reply #105 on: 04/01/2019 06:29 am »

Looks kinda weird without the exhaust stacks.  I wonder what they have in mind? Side or rear perhaps??

EDIT:  She's looking a little tired and rusty.. they sure have an awful lot of work to do.
A bit of surface rust, the hull seems in good shape. I think rear exaust would be the best.

Online Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 466
  • Likes Given: 692
« Reply #106 on: 04/01/2019 06:58 am »

Seem to recall that Blue Origin will rework the stern of the boat to look like a VLCC with the exhaust uptakes re-routed to new small deckhouse on the stern.

So they are removing the RO-RO functionality and will rework the forward superstructure smaller plus a reinforced landing pad amidship. IMO

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #107 on: 04/01/2019 11:50 pm »
Seem to recall that Blue Origin will rework the stern of the boat to look like a VLCC with the exhaust uptakes re-routed to new small deckhouse on the stern.

So they are removing the RO-RO functionality and will rework the forward superstructure smaller plus a reinforced landing pad amidship. IMO

If so, that's an enormous amount of work - far more than SpaceX ever had to do to build an ASDS.  Including dry-dock, survey and sea trials we're talking months.. up to a year even, depending upon how many resources they throw at it.

Anyways, whatever happens, it'll be fun to sit back and watch. :)

« Last Edit: 04/01/2019 11:52 pm by CameronD »

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #108 on: 04/02/2019 12:07 am »

If so, that's an enormous amount of work - far more than SpaceX ever had to do to build an ASDS.  Including dry-dock, survey and sea trials we're talking months.. up to a year even, depending upon how many resources they throw at it.

Lot more work but lot better sea boat enabling landings in rougher conditions. The other big plus is quicker turnaround time, able cruise comfortably at 20knots in most sea conditions, compared to barges 5-10knots.

Online Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 466
  • Likes Given: 692
« Reply #109 on: 04/02/2019 08:43 am »

Lot more work but lot better sea boat enabling landings in rougher conditions. The other big plus is quicker turnaround time, able cruise comfortably at 20knots in most sea conditions, compared to barges 5-10knots.

Think this drastic ship conversion is to test out features on future Landing Platform Ships. After all why build something new when you can convert a worn out and semi-expendable ship as interim LPS trial ship. Once you know what works call up a shipyard for serial production. It is going to take at least 3 LPS to maintain a reasonable launch tempo of about a launch every 4 weeks due to the distant from landing point back to Port Canaveral.

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #110 on: 04/02/2019 10:02 am »

Think this drastic ship conversion is to test out features on future Landing Platform Ships. After all why build something new when you can convert a worn out and semi-expendable ship as interim LPS trial ship. Once you know what works call up a shipyard for serial production. It is going to take at least 3 LPS to maintain a reasonable launch tempo of about a launch every 4 weeks due to the distant from landing point back to Port Canaveral.
At 20knots it can cover 480nm every 24hr. One ship is plenty for forenitely launches.

Online b0objunior

« Reply #111 on: 04/02/2019 10:07 am »

At 20knots it can cover 480nm every 24hr. One ship is plenty for forenitely launches.
Yes, but sometimes a ship needs to go in drydock for refurbishment, so two boat would be very nice to have. Plus if they want to launch polar orbits from the west coast and on the east coast at the same time.

Online b0objunior

« Reply #112 on: 04/08/2019 01:32 am »
New images from the shipyard, there seems to be a lot of cranes inside the ship. The stacks are gone and covers (presumably temporary) have been put in place from what I can see.

https://twitter.com/DakotaAstroWolf/status/1115003523534610432

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #113 on: 04/08/2019 01:40 am »
New images from the shipyard, there seems to be a lot of cranes inside the ship. The stacks are gone and covers (presumably temporary) have been put in place from what I can see.

All we need now is someone willing to send a drone over the top for a quick peek..

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 3208
  • Likes Given: 398
Blue Origin fleet
« Reply #114 on: 04/08/2019 01:45 am »

All we need now is someone willing to send a drone over the top for a quick peek..
« Last Edit: 04/08/2019 01:45 am by Johnnyhinbos »
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8718
  • Likes Given: 7351
« Reply #115 on: 04/08/2019 02:43 am »
Let's not encourage trespass. Merely going up high enough from public access might well give all the views desired.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Lemurion

« Reply #116 on: 04/14/2019 02:06 am »

I think the higher cruising speed may be at least partially offset by the fact Blue intends to land further downrange. I also think that since Blue isn't planning RTLS for this generation it's more important to them to develop a more capable landing ship than it is for SpaceX.

Tags: