Author Topic: Blue Origin fleet  (Read 23327 times)

Offline ncb1397

• Liked: 572
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Blue Origin fleet
« Reply #40 on: 10/17/2018 10:02 am »
According to MarineTraffic.com, Stena Freighter has arrived along the Florida Coast.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 7606
  • Likes Given: 2547

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 911
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #42 on: 10/19/2018 12:18 am »
Stena Freighter pictured at Port of Pensacola!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpFw4EYj67C

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 516
  • Likes Given: 163
« Reply #43 on: 10/19/2018 12:34 am »
This freighter is going to be transporting rocket stages back to the US, having left from a US port correct?
I am curious to know whether BO plans to re-flag it to the US and operate it under the Jones Act, because I am not sure if it will be exempt from the Jones Act or not.

Jones Act means US mariners crew the vessel instead of foreign crew, this vessel is currently a foreign crew.
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline Rocket Surgeon

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #44 on: 10/19/2018 06:07 am »
This freighter is going to be transporting rocket stages back to the US, having left from a US port correct?
I am curious to know whether BO plans to re-flag it to the US and operate it under the Jones Act, because I am not sure if it will be exempt from the Jones Act or not.

Jones Act means US mariners crew the vessel instead of foreign crew, this vessel is currently a foreign crew.

They will probably need a US Citizen or Permanent Resident crew anyway under ITAR anyway

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 1315
  • Likes Given: 358
« Reply #45 on: 10/19/2018 01:32 pm »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline b0objunior

• Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #46 on: 10/20/2018 09:57 am »
This video does show that's its one big "boat"!

https://twitter.com/WEARAllenStrum/status/1053381209013805058

Offline Cowboy Dan

• The Great State of Texas
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #50 on: 10/25/2018 03:35 pm »

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 441
  • Likes Given: 568
« Reply #51 on: 10/26/2018 03:16 am »
Gotta possible Stena Freighter scenario unfolding:
https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2018/10/24/jeff-bezos-blue-origin-rocket-landing-ship-docked-pensacola-port/1739488002/

Quoting the interesting part at end:

However, at the Oct. 11 City Council meeting, Jack Burglund with Offshore Inland Marine & Oilfield Services said on top of being scheduled to bring in seven oil tankers for refit and repair to the Port of Pensacola, the company would have a major announcement soon.  ... "We have an absolutely huge announcement to make probably within the week," Burglund said at the Oct. 11 meeting. "Unfortunately, both me and Offshore Inland are locked into a non-disclosure where we can't announce the name of the company, but we did sign a contract that will have a vessel arriving here next week for upwards of two years. That will be working between 50-75 people a day." Crews could be seen at the port loading large pieces of metal onto the ship on Tuesday.

Article is dated early Wednesday, Oct 24th.
« Last Edit: 10/26/2018 03:17 am by ChrisC »
How to embed photos from outside sources (e.g. Twitter)
NASA TV in HD:  history and FAQ (from 2007-2010 startup period)

Offline Chasm

• Liked: 207
« Reply #52 on: 10/26/2018 10:09 am »
What would they possible do with a ship that needs a major refit?
That guessing game is almost as obvious as it gets. Almost because parking at Ingalls is an option too.

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8430
  • Likes Given: 6777
« Reply #53 on: 10/26/2018 05:40 pm »
I think building a landing platform, and possibly stage storage, cranes, etc, below it, would count. But, two years?  Gradatim!
« Last Edit: 10/26/2018 05:40 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline SDSmith

• Danny Smith
  • Georgia
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #54 on: 10/26/2018 06:53 pm »
I think building a landing platform, and possibly stage storage, cranes, etc, below it, would count. But, two years?  Gradatim!
The biggest issue that I have are the stacks at the back of the ship. With the ship in transit during landing and if the ship is slightly faster than the booster, the stacks could be hit.

Online matthewkantar

• Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 814
« Reply #55 on: 10/26/2018 06:58 pm »
I think anything on the ship that is soft can be put below or behind a couple of inches of steel. My guess is that this ship will be extensively modified.

It will be interesting to see how B.O. practices for landings. Will they splash a few boosters like SpaceX did? Or will they go right for an attempt on the ship?

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 648
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #56 on: 10/26/2018 07:24 pm »
Given the cost and size of their booster I can really see them trying not to splash any of them!

Offline Chasm

• Liked: 207
« Reply #57 on: 10/26/2018 07:49 pm »
Blue does not really need the ship ASAP, NG is a bit delayed.

Lets see...
Add landing deck/reinforce upper deck.
Delete some obstacles. (Put a hinge on the stacks?)
I'd love to add some cranes as handling equipment. Less footprint in port sounds nice.
Enlarge the rear hatch so that NG fits through it, interior should be big enough.
I see a red door ship and I want to paint it black blue.
Much more fire suppression systems, both on deck and internally.
And of course all maintenance and applicable certification work (if any) done and up to date on delivery. 

As for the time frame. Quite long as mentioned. 2 years? Blue can get a bespoke ship in 2 years. (Of course: Money, please! applies) I guess it's a "Would you like two years of steady work?" kind of deal.
A clear scope of work (easy to plan) with long timeframe (cheap) and most likely a guaranteed delivery date (not so cheap). OTOH if there are any surprises there is certainly enough time to work them too.

Will Blue drop a few stages into the drink for practice? I doubt it, too expensive.
The guesstimate is still 7*$8 million for a set of first stage engines. Say ULA has to pay for a lot of R&D and the internal cost at Blue is 1/3 of that. For ~$19 million you can refurbish the ship quite a bit.
NG should have the throttle range and a whole lot of reserve fuel so I say they'll hover, a lot. Either try it directly or at the most hover next to the ship and then crab walk the stage.

That does of course not mean that landing will work from day one.

The big risk is rupturing the tank and spilling a few tons of LNG&LOX.
There are ways to mitigate some of the problems. Sealed, positive pressure interior. Independent air supply for crew (0 during landing). Gas protected operation of engines (for operation within flammable gases).
The recent German multi purpose ships and at least one of the big tugs on the North Sea have the gear. [article] [Nordic tug wiki]

Online envy887

• Liked: 3098
  • Likes Given: 1557
« Reply #58 on: 10/26/2018 08:09 pm »
I think anything on the ship that is soft can be put below or behind a couple of inches of steel. My guess is that this ship will be extensively modified.

It will be interesting to see how B.O. practices for landings. Will they splash a few boosters like SpaceX did? Or will they go right for an attempt on the ship?

How many ships can you buy with the several hundred million dollars they would waste by splashing a booster?

Offline Aurora

• USA
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #59 on: 10/26/2018 08:47 pm »
Only speculation:    New Glenn program will probably follow the New Shepard program flight testing, performing short take off and landings at CCAFB, then attempt landing on the Stena Freighter (using until we have a name) off the Florida Coast, as close to CCAFB that will be approved by all authorities.   They could attempt landing on the ship in "relatively stationary" position, or moving position at various speeds to validate their plans.   Their planned return zone is 630x440 miles area, off the US coast between NC and FL.

First stage booster with 7 BE-4 engines will be an expensive "launch test" and planning to splash a launch vehicle will be challenging to insurance at reasonable rates prior to successful string of launching and landing (similar to SX).   One

New Glenn booster has to be expensive similar to FH, probably more.

Tags: